Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So you seriously have to obtain a license to watch tv? Can you lose it for watching while intoxicated? [heh heh heh... sorry had to throw that in there]

I think its strange, but really what I'm curious about is once I obtain my tv license, if im living in the dorms do I then need to pay for cable or whatever each month or do i just hook up a coaxial cable and use university channels? Sorry about being a pain with these questions, its just my last uni everything, internet, cable tv, medical insurance, international calls from the dorm rooms were all prepaid for in the tuition so i just want to know what im gonna have to arrange for when i move in.

ReputationRep:
    In DRA the rooms come with TVs and just have the basic channels. I assume if you wanted anything more than the regular 5 or so channels that you'd have to pay for it yourself. I assume that in Dean's Court you would also need to get your own TV.

(Original post by Medievalist)
    So you seriously have to obtain a license to watch tv? Can you lose it for watching while intoxicated? [heh heh heh... sorry had to throw that in there]

I think its strange, but really what I'm curious about is once I obtain my tv license, if im living in the dorms do I then need to pay for cable or whatever each month or do i just hook up a coaxial cable and use university channels? Sorry about being a pain with these questions, its just my last uni everything, internet, cable tv, medical insurance, international calls from the dorm rooms were all prepaid for in the tuition so i just want to know what im gonna have to arrange for when i move in.
    I recommend not getting a television. Firstly, I doubt you will hours and hours to sit around watching television at uni - there are more interesting things to do! Secondly, you can watch almost all BBC and channel 4 programs online without a tv licence (although you might just want to check if the uni permits this). Those channels have enough programs to keep most students happy and occupied, and it will save you a fair bit of money as well.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make things clear for people (since it's a £1000 fine at stake)

In the UK, to use equipment to receive a live TV broadcast (such as a TV itself) at all, you MUST have a TV license. A TV license is £142.50 for a color TV and £48 for a black and white TV. You may not have to pay all of this however (see below).

You are only covered by your parents TV license if the TV is powered by it's own internal batteries AND you have plugged it into a separate aerial AND it is not plugged into the mains AND your permanent address is your parents home AND your parents have a valid TV license.

Foreign students will also require at TV license (and obviously the above exception will not apply, since their parents won't have a TV license).

When you leave university accommodation or the UK for the summer, you can claim back any 3 month periods that you haven't used it (ie June, July, August).

The fine for not paying a TV license is £1000, and university halls of residence are a favourite for the inspectors to come checking, since that's where they'll find a lot of people who haven't paid.

The revenue from TV licensing goes to the BBC who, in return, may not receive advertising revenue from other companies (why do you think Top Gear made up sponsors for their 24-hour race?). Be aware that you have to pay the TV license, even if you don't watch BBC.

In regards to BBC iPlayer, there is a legal grey area. Technically you don't need a TV license to use it to watch programmes on demand (ie not live), but you will need a TV license to watch live TV on iPlayer. Personally, I am going to get one, since I suspect it will be difficult to prove that you don't watch live TV on iPlayer, and only watch it on demand.

ReputationRep:
    Just to throw this in, although in a normal house, you only need one TV license, they're realised that students sharing a flat aren't all related, so if you're in DRA, if you want to watch your TV's, then each occupant will need their own license. Which is well stupid

In the event that you have a TV in your room but don't want to use it, I think you need to untune all the channels, and I think you can hand in your remote control at the reception. And you need to unplug it [The TV... not the remote :p: ].

(Original post by Bucky!)
    Personally, I am going to get one, since I suspect it will be difficult to prove that you don't watch live TV on iPlayer, and only watch it on demand.
    That is a terrible reason to get a licence. It's not your job to prove that you don't watch live TV; it's the prosecution's job to prove that you do.

The fine for not paying a TV license is £1000
    The fine is not £1000. It is up to £1000. The two are very different.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make things clear for people (since it's a £1000 fine at stake)

In the UK, to use equipment to receive a live TV broadcast (such as a TV itself) at all, you MUST have a TV license. A TV license is £142.50 for a color TV and £48 for a black and white TV. You may not have to pay all of this however (see below).

You are only covered by your parents TV license if the TV is powered by it's own internal batteries AND you have plugged it into a separate aerial AND it is not plugged into the mains AND your permanent address is your parents home AND your parents have a valid TV license.

Foreign students will also require at TV license (and obviously the above exception will not apply, since their parents won't have a TV license).

When you leave university accommodation or the UK for the summer, you can claim back any 3 month periods that you haven't used it (ie June, July, August).

The fine for not paying a TV license is £1000, and university halls of residence are a favourite for the inspectors to come checking, since that's where they'll find a lot of people who haven't paid.

The revenue from TV licensing goes to the BBC who, in return, may not receive advertising revenue from other companies (why do you think Top Gear made up sponsors for their 24-hour race?). Be aware that you have to pay the TV license, even if you don't watch BBC.

In regards to BBC iPlayer, there is a legal grey area. Technically you don't need a TV license to use it to watch programmes on demand (ie not live), but you will need a TV license to watch live TV on iPlayer. Personally, I am going to get one, since I suspect it will be difficult to prove that you don't watch live TV on iPlayer, and only watch it on demand.
    As Kolya quite rightly pointed out, they have to prove that you were watching live TV. You can have a TV in your house, you can even have it switched on, as long as you're not watching a live broadcast. The TVLA have to prove that you were watching a live broadcast. The presence of a TV proves nothing. Same with iPlayer - your ability to use iPlayer is not indicative of your use of a simulcast live service. You're perfectly entitled to use the on-demand services provided through iPlayer without a licence.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to buy a tv tuner/capture card for my laptop. It'll be hard for them to prove I used it to watch tv, unless I was caught in the act.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I am going to get one, since I suspect it will be difficult to prove that you don't watch live TV on iPlayer, and only watch it on demand.
    Tell me, was that brainwashing the tv licensing people gave you fun?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.