Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Swat vs Sas - Sas wins, game over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vokes)
    Forget EU, Uk could beat China if you take out nukes and missiles. Depends on the terrain of course but the tanks they use would hardly make a dent in the Challenger and bearing in mind RPG's etc are useless against it (there are cases of Challengers taking over a dozen RPG + antitank hits and still not be penitrated) they would just get rolled over.
    Bahaha. Everyone seems to think that the Chinese army these days still use stones and pitchforks. Sure they're not as technologically advanced as the US and British with their Abrams and Challenger tanks, but they by no means only run around with AKs and RPGs. You can check out what they use here.

Their standing army + reserves also numbers 3 million, British army 147,000, French army 133,000, Italian army 103,000 etc. so in this EU vs China war China would still very likely vastly outnumber EU, even though it's a continent (I seriously doubt much of Eastern Europe would join this fight though) vs a country.

ReputationRep:
    Uncle Sam would grind us into dust.

All the patriotism and alleged "Good Training" in the world wouldn't help were it to come down to a war against a similarly developed military with a Six to One numerical advantage.

Of course, were it a case of ground warfare only my money would be on the Russians.

ReputationRep:
    this kinda reminds me of a story my uncle told me when he was in the navy.
    us ship: hi this is the S.S. whatever from the us navy, the biggest in the world.
    uk ship: hi this is HMS whatever from the royal navy, the best in the world.

not really definative, but made me smile as a witty comeback

ReputationRep:
    UKSF > USSF.
    Thats the only thing that can be proven and is fact. Arguing about everything else is nonsense, because there is no way of proving whose army is better.

ReputationRep:
    This question is on par with "In a drag race between the Buggati Veyron and a fiat punto, who would win?"

Normal American soldiers are better trained and better equipped than normal British soldiers, and America has the elite Marines which are better trained than regular soldiers. America has over 200,000 Marines and the UK has around 140,000 soldiers in the army in total.

America has 1.1 million soldiers and the UK has 140k. To make things even, lets say American soldiers caught a nasty strain of the swine flu and there were only 140k of them left. I would still say that the 140k American soldiers would beat the 140k British soldiers.

ReputationRep:
    Full pitched battle?

Our entire ground army, vs the entire US ground forces?

We. Would. Get. Flattened.

ReputationRep:
    America would give the whole world a pretty good fight. There is a high chance of them winning if there was a war between every country and them.

(Assuming that they didn't piss of Iran, causing them to shut the strait of Hormus)

ReputationRep:
    The comments are so funny. Esp. the one about the UK being able to take on China.

ReputationRep:
    A large army is always disorderly.
    Still, on normal and fair circumstances the American army would beat the English one.
    Which country has the better individual soldiers doesn’t matter because there wouldn’t be that much of a difference.
    What does matter is the strength and character of the general leading the forces, now this brings us to another discussion altogether. You can have the best soldiers in the world, but if their led by mules, they are bound to fail.
    Saying that, American generals have never been anything more than mediocre.
    What is certain, the standard of soldiers today is much weaker, no I don’t mean physically but mentally. Soldiers of today could never fight a real war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    America would give the whole world a pretty good fight. There is a high chance of them winning if there was a war between every country and them.

(Assuming that they didn't piss of Iran, causing them to shut the strait of Hormus)
    America would get destroyed. They had trouble with Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam. Throw in China, India, Russia, Germany, Japan, France, Pakistan etc. and they would get turned into a glass crater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    America would get destroyed. They had trouble with Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam. Throw in China, India, Russia, Germany, Japan, France, Pakistan etc. and they would get turned into a glass crater.

There is a difference between winning a war and occupying a country.

The war with Iraq was won in three weeks with only a fraction of Americas armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between winning a war and occupying a country.

The war with Iraq was won in three weeks with only a fraction of Americas armed forces.
    That explains why they're still hanging about and dying everyday.

ReputationRep:
    Again, like i said, Winning a war is different to Occupying a country.

If it was the whole world VS. America, they'd bomb every military, political and economic facilities in a few days and leave the country. They wouldn't even send any troops.

ReputationRep:
    Again, like i said, Winning a war is different to Occupying a country.

If it was the whole world VS. America, they'd bomb every military, political and economic facilities in a few days and leave the country. They wouldn't even send any troops.
    Now picture the entire worlds bombs bombing America's military, political and economic facilities. It'd take a few minutes to turn North America into a part of the atlantic ocean. Not a trace of them would exist, they would simply vanish into thin air.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone pointed out already, an occupation is a completely different thing. Being British, you should know that.

Also, you've been having the exact same issues in Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't forget, we're not there alone.

ReputationRep:
    Now picture the entire worlds bombs bombing America's military, political and economic facilities. It'd take a few minutes to turn North America into a part of the atlantic ocean. Not a trace of them would exist, they would simply vanish into thin air.

America is a huge country that spends more on its defence than the whole world combined.

They have bases all over the world and have the worlds best missile defences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Like someone pointed out already, an occupation is a completely different thing. Being British, you should know that.

Also, you've been having the exact same issues in Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't forget, we're not there alone.
    I do know the difference between occupation and outright attack, but America cannot tolerate an overall attack from the entire world while fighting against them too. America would get evaporated in an instant.

ReputationRep:
    I do know the difference between occupation and outright attack, but America cannot tolerate an overall attack from the entire world while fighting against them too. America would get evaporated in an instant.

How many countries have the capability of attacking American soil?

ReputationRep:
    How many countries have the capability of attacking American soil?
    Enough.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.