Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To bring up an extremely old thread of mine... A little update:
    3 months after creating this thread, I met a girl whom of which I fell in love with. We split up no more than 4 weeks back, she torn my heart apart.

Moral of the story for me is simply that you can't do **** all about the future and should love the present like it's the last day on Earth for you. Don't worry about anything the future holds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Lust at first sight, more like.
    you deserve a prize for being honest! lol! :king1:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm in love again, for the second time. This time I don't feel as frenetic as last time, but this time is scarier because I think he might actually like me too. He is not at all what I thought I would love, I miss him when he's gone, but I would never ever admit it to him. I doubt he knows how I feel. I am trying to resist this love thing because I'm so terrified of it all going wrong. It will in the end.

ReputationRep:
    You have to risk it bro, if you don't take risks you don't get any rewards. Love is one of the biggest risks to take I guess.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by XeaL`)
    To bring up an extremely old thread of mine... A little update:
    3 months after creating this thread, I met a girl whom of which I fell in love with. We split up no more than 4 weeks back, she torn my heart apart.

Moral of the story for me is simply that you can't do **** all about the future and should love the present like it's the last day on Earth for you. Don't worry about anything the future holds.
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    Or you could take a Homeric stance and lay the blame on Aphrodite's careless archery. I do, personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XeaL`)
    This is more a question of opinions. I don't need advice or what-not.

I'm 18 years old and I won't lie, I am genuinely scared of the potential that I could "fall in love" with any girl (meaning, I don't know who. Not just everyone) that I know or don't know. I realise that at my age and a year or two younger that you tend to feel like you love somebody but it's usually mere lusting rather than loving, but when it comes to actually loving somebody, I find the idea very intimidating.

These are two quotes from a thread I replied to not long ago, but the reasoning for the thread was different to that of this one. I just think the idea of being able to open up to a person and somewhat allow them into your heart whilst knowing that at any given time, they could rip it out and leave you hurt for days/weeks/months... even years to be extremely frightening and I would seriously have no idea whether or not I would be able to tell whether or not a girl was worth trusting with such a thing.

Falling in love can be the best thing in the world from what I've seen, but I've also seen (far more often) that it can also be one of the worst and at my age, often the person you claim to "love" and allow this pathway to your heart isn't always faithful and/or worth the trust and it gets thrown back in your face a lot of the time, resulting in you left feeling like an idiot and regretting everything sometimes.

What are your thoughts?

You know, I completely agree with you =)
    I was completely freaked out by the idea of falling in love- the idea of being blind to faults and walking into traps. I consider myself fiercely independent and a lot of times, dependecy like 'falling in love' seemed awful.

I didn't want to become the person who didn't know was would be right for ME. Be the person who couldn't say no and take my previous friends and life ambitions for granted. Some of these fears were peppered from observed experiences and just seeing my parents really.

But I have. I have fallen in love and you know what- I am not a changed person. What more, being completely honest, I can remember the precise moment I did fall in love. I was going to go to sleep and I just thought of him and I got this overwelming gush of complete content. Like, I was building this bridge 'love' and that night, was when I laid the final brick. And every brick had this foundation of trust and respect and mutual understanding.

It wasn't a completely overwhelming shock- just this feeling of it being 'right'

And yes, I love you does get thrown around often. I fell in love 13 months into the relationship. And by then, you don't fall in love with anybody but with someone and you know them damn well.

Don't know if that helps. That's just the best way I can explain my experiences

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would realise that this thread is 2 years old. :P

ReputationRep:
    mate, you bought it back to life =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XeaL`)
    This is more a question of opinions. I don't need advice or what-not.

I'm 18 years old and I won't lie, I am genuinely scared of the potential that I could "fall in love" with any girl (meaning, I don't know who. Not just everyone) that I know or don't know. I realise that at my age and a year or two younger that you tend to feel like you love somebody but it's usually mere lusting rather than loving, but when it comes to actually loving somebody, I find the idea very intimidating.

These are two quotes from a thread I replied to not long ago, but the reasoning for the thread was different to that of this one. I just think the idea of being able to open up to a person and somewhat allow them into your heart whilst knowing that at any given time, they could rip it out and leave you hurt for days/weeks/months... even years to be extremely frightening and I would seriously have no idea whether or not I would be able to tell whether or not a girl was worth trusting with such a thing.

Falling in love can be the best thing in the world from what I've seen, but I've also seen (far more often) that it can also be one of the worst and at my age, often the person you claim to "love" and allow this pathway to your heart isn't always faithful and/or worth the trust and it gets thrown back in your face a lot of the time, resulting in you left feeling like an idiot and regretting everything sometimes.

What are your thoughts?
    my take

U make yourself fall in love by constantly thinking about that person
    ever noticed that the person you have a crush on grows on you as you think about them while you're not there?
    so the best thing to do to not fall in love is not think about that person (in a certain way anyway)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.