Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey is anybody wanting to study history at uni?
    I am and I need help for an interview
    Why history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    Hey is anybody wanting to study history at uni?
    I am and I need help for an interview
    Why history?

Hey. I have applied to read History at uni. What help do you need? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    Why history?
    what appeals to you about learning about the past?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for history. I applied to do history because I love the way everything you learn in history can be applied to the present day. Through learning about politics/economics etc. in the past you can have a much greater understanding of the way it is today. My fav ever history module had to be Irish history and that was because suddenly all theses problems in Ireland you hear about in the news made sense... I had a much greater understanding of the troubles today from learning about the troubles in the past. I also love all the source work as I find it really interesting tearing it all apart to come to a conclusion and argue cases using it.... ooohh I just love history really!!!

ReputationRep:
    Okay I just read that back and I really do sound like a history freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! Lol!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am History at MAnchester and I love it its absolutley great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La_la_la)
    I've applied for history. I applied to do history because I love the way everything you learn in history can be applied to the present day. Through learning about politics/economics etc. in the past you can have a much greater understanding of the way it is today. My fav ever history module had to be Irish history and that was because suddenly all theses problems in Ireland you hear about in the news made sense... I had a much greater understanding of the troubles today from learning about the troubles in the past. I also love all the source work as I find it really interesting tearing it all apart to come to a conclusion and argue cases using it.... ooohh I just love history really!!!
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!! I'm preparing for my interview at Cambridge on the 9th December. Wish me luck, fellow historians!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!! I'm preparing for my interview at Cambridge on the 9th December. Wish me luck, fellow historians!!!

GOODLUCK!!!! What college did you apply to? I was sure i wanted to go to Fitz at Cam right up to October 14th...then i suddenly switched to Oxford..really irrational...lol. What prep have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    GOODLUCK!!!! What college did you apply to? I was sure i wanted to go to Fitz at Cam right up to October 14th...then i suddenly switched to Oxford..really irrational...lol. What prep have you done?
    Hi Aliel! Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!!! I'm going for St. John's (as I told you in the RHUL thread). Why choose Oxford? Cam is sooo much better Just kidding... I know a history student from Fitz, there are a lot of great people there. My choice was irrational, too. I wasn't too keen on Oxford because it seemed to me that they weren't interested in winning potential undergrads... Anyway, when I went to Cambridge, all doubts vanished, and I thought: "Yep! That's it!" Good luck with Oxford, let's hope we both get in, then we'll meet at the Oxford/Cambridge Boat Race!!!

Oh yes... prep... well, I read "What Is History?" by E.H. Carr, as probably every history student in the UK has, it's old, but still applies, a good, short read, should be helpful in the interview. I'd say that is a must. I'm also going through my A-level notes (I hate doing this!) and I'm making notes on the essay I sent and going through my extra-curricular interests, I did a few presentations for the history club at my school, so I'm looking at these, they will want to know about it.

Are you also a post A-level applicant?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Aliel! Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!!! I'm going for St. John's (as I told you in the RHUL thread). Why choose Oxford? Cam is sooo much better Just kidding... I know a history student from Fitz, there are a lot of great people there. My choice was irrational, too. I wasn't too keen on Oxford because it seemed to me that they weren't interested in winning potential undergrads... Anyway, when I went to Cambridge, all doubts vanished, and I thought: "Yep! That's it!" Good luck with Oxford, let's hope we both get in, then we'll meet at the Oxford/Cambridge Boat Race!!!

Oh yes... prep... well, I read "What Is History?" by E.H. Carr, as probably every history student in the UK has, it's old, but still applies, a good, short read, should be helpful in the interview. I'd say that is a must. I'm also going through my A-level notes (I hate doing this!) and I'm making notes on the essay I sent and going through my extra-curricular interests, I did a few presentations for the history club at my school, so I'm looking at these, they will want to know about it.

Are you also a post A-level applicant?
    Yep am post-alevel. Havent read Carr's book! Got interview letter today so now i can start to properly prepare. I hope there is time. GoodLuck xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Yep am post-alevel. Havent read Carr's book! Got interview letter today so now i can start to properly prepare. I hope there is time. GoodLuck xxx
    Ah, shame, so you can't make the "right" choice of going for Cambridge next year! What a waste of talent this is Never mind. When is your interview? And what is the written work about that you sent?

Hummzz... Perhaps I should get on with it myself instead of being such a lazy git... ok, time to work.

Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, shame, so you can't make the "right" choice of going for Cambridge next year! What a waste of talent this is Never mind. When is your interview? And what is the written work about that you sent?

Hummzz... Perhaps I should get on with it myself instead of being such a lazy git... ok, time to work.

Good luck!!!
    Hey...Work i submitted was on the development of Irish Nationalism 1801-1921 and the extent to which the Nazi state was a monolithic unity respondent to the will of the Fuhrer.
    Interviews begin for me on Wednesday 10th at 10am..really not prepared. Literally know nothing about one of my essays (irish one) because i did it like a year and a half ago ( i am post-alevel) and have no notes left..i am in trouble...but hey its my fault

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Hey...Work i submitted was on the development of Irish Nationalism 1801-1921 and the extent to which the Nazi state was a monolithic unity respondent to the will of the Fuhrer.
    Interviews begin for me on Wednesday 10th at 10am..really not prepared. Literally know nothing about one of my essays (irish one) because i did it like a year and a half ago ( i am post-alevel) and have no notes left..i am in trouble...but hey its my fault
    Oh dear... why did you send it if you weren't comfortable talking about it? Anyway, it's done. Have you still got your textbooks? I'm sure you can find stuff on the internet or in a library. You'll be fine. Out of interest, what was your conclusion on the Hitler essay?

I sent an essay on German foreign policy, the question was whether Hitler just carried on with what his predecessors had laid out or whether his approach was new.

I remember seeing a film about Michael Collins in history, that was amazing! Shame he got killed in the end though... And his fiancée got told just when she had chosen her wedding dress.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Aliel! Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!!! I'm going for St. John's (as I told you in the RHUL thread). Why choose Oxford? Cam is sooo much better

Many of us would rather be at Oxford than at John's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)

Indeed. My college parents taught me that this was the mantra on my first night and that I had to adhere to it. I still don't quite know why though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Indeed. My college parents taught me that this was the mantra on my first night and that I had to adhere to it. I still don't quite know why though :confused:

Nor do I, but I had to say it... because you just do, don't you?

ReputationRep:

What's wrong with St. John's? In case you didn't notice, what I said about Oxford was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Huh? What's this about??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with St. John's? In case you didn't notice, what I said about Oxford was a joke.

I did notice, and so was the dig at St John's, don't worry! But if you go there you'll have to get used to those jibes - everyone here seems to take the proverbial out of Johns. There's a song. You'll know how it goes soon enough

ReputationRep:
    I did notice, and so was the dig at St John's, don't worry! But if you go there you'll have to get used to those jibes - everyone here seems to take the proverbial out of Johns. There's a song. You'll know how it goes soon enough
    Why??? What song? Tell me! What the heck is wrong with St. John's???

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.