Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a 25 year old guy from Turkey and applied to the University of Sheffield for a masters programme. (Structural Engineering) And I got an offer. (I now believe in miracles)

But I have so many questions in my mind. (And not enough English skills to explain them, I got a good Toefl Score, I have no idea how I got that either.)

I have made applications to these Universities: (I only want to study Structural Engineering, I made my undergraduate at Civil Engineering in Turkey)

Sheffield, Surrey, Dundee, Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff, Leeds.

Leeds rejected me in like 20 hours after I have sent my application
    I got an offer from Sheffield as I said and the other ones are pending.
    I am sure Manchester, Cardiff and probably Newcastle will not offer a place.

But still, among these, where does Sheffield stand in the means of reputation in England ?

How difficult are the Masters Programme ? And will I look to old? (actually I am kinda a baby face hahha I mean I dont look old but is 25 much above the avarage of Postgraduate students?)

Are there many international students studying at Sheffield University?

And finally, should I go for it ? (I really want to study Structural Engineering.) Is Sheffield University a good University ? I have read its in the top ten in England.

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatabass)
    Hi,

I am a 25 year old guy from Turkey and applied to the University of Sheffield for a masters programme. (Structural Engineering) And I got an offer. (I now believe in miracles)

But I have so many questions in my mind. (And not enough English skills to explain them, I got a good Toefl Score, I have no idea how I got that either.)

I have made applications to these Universities: (I only want to study Structural Engineering, I made my undergraduate at Civil Engineering in Turkey)

Sheffield, Surrey, Dundee, Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff, Leeds.

Leeds rejected me in like 20 hours after I have sent my application
    I got an offer from Sheffield as I said and the other ones are pending.
    I am sure Manchester, Cardiff and probably Newcastle will not offer a place.

But still, among these, where does Sheffield stand in the means of reputation in England ?

How difficult are the Masters Programme ? And will I look to old? (actually I am kinda a baby face hahha I mean I dont look old but is 25 much above the avarage of Postgraduate students?)

Are there many international students studying at Sheffield University?

And finally, should I go for it ? (I really want to study Structural Engineering.) Is Sheffield University a good University ? I have read its in the top ten in England.

Thank you very much
    Congratulations on your offer. I can't answer any specific questions about your course, but I can tell you that Sheffield has a good reputation within England. I wouldn't say it's in the top 10, however. More like top 20/25.

There are lots of international students here and the university is very good at taking care of them. Take a look here for more information.

Also, 25 years old is not that old. Stop worrying! If anything I would say it is about the average age for postgraduate students.

I hope this helps with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    For structural engineering and other engineering programmes Sheffield is considered quite highly. I also back what James has said, there are loads of internationals here, you certainly won't feel left out at all. Its very friendly here both at the Uni and more generally just as a city.
    If you do struggle with your English there are places you will easily be able to find help too.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the responses

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am having an offer from Sheffield for MSc in Structural Engineering. Hope to answer your question based on my research, as I am intrested in studying strc. eng. most of all.

Sheffield, Surrey, Dundee, Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff, Leeds

I don't know much about leeds. But Dundee and sheffield better all others as far as structural engineering is concerned.
    I am also having offer from Manchester, New castle, Surrey, Dundee and Sheffield..did apply for Cardiff but decision is still pending.
    And among Dundee and Sheffield - Shef. is a tad bit better coupled with a nice university and city experience.

Besides if you just want to study strc. eng. thn i would suggest give maixmum weightage to the course content, which leaves SHEFFIELD as a clear winner

This is my opinion though, I am jonining Shef.

If you need any other info. don't hesitate to get in touch, may be I can help, though I am on the same boat

Hope to meet you there in september.

Cheers!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.