Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has began to accuse me of stealing gold from her house. She claims that i have stolen a ring and a chain as she used to leave me in her bedroom alone.
    Her older sister was having problems well has been having probelms with the family for 8 years now.. she was planning to run away and needed money for the first month rent of her flat, so she took the ring and came to town, i met up with her and we went to the pawn shop, she sold it off.. she didnt end up moving out into the flat and still lives with her family.. now her family are syaing that no one else came to their house much, that it must be me who has robbed their gold.. which is not true. Her older sister is saying that i shouldnt worry because i haven't taken it and i dont know where it is, but my friend has gone round saying im a theif.. how can i not worry :confused: she told me her mom went to the police and they are saying it must be someone who came to your house, and i did used to go to her home, but my family didnt like that. They found out from people that the girls where somewhat of pimps and held a reputation around the area so i began to back away from them. My mate tried phoning my dads phone as i was on holiday and if i my family find out about this they'll go mad at me for becoming friends with such a person. I've decided to never talk to the girl agian as a true friend wouldn't do such a thing, but I dont know how to resolve this problem, should i go to the police and tell them and try to get hold of the second copy of the reciept in the shop or should i tell the friend her sister stole it :confused: Help.. x

ReputationRep:
    Noo am Muslim.. pakistani..

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a cultural thing I probably can't say much on apart from so long as you can prove you didn't steal it that's best - but her older sister is probably right on any account.

Perhaps you should take this as a sign that you need to disconnect yourself entirely from this family?

ReputationRep:
    Is your friend Pakistani as well? Its quite typical of the culture to start blaming anyone when they lose money, i know from experience. Why cant you tell them that her older sister stole it? Or dont they believe you? I think you should tell the older sister to own up, if she doesnt tell her you'll go to the police and give them evidence you didnt steal it.

ReputationRep:
    If i tell my mate she wont really believe me because she'll be like why didnt i tell her when her sister sold it.. but i wernt talking to her and i know that i need to back away from them they aint no good.. i phoned the sister she was like why you worrying you didnt steal it you dont know where it is so chill out.. but they making me look like a theif when i aint.. the sister aint the type to own up... ma dad has also found out.. he telling me to not do anything.. and how my mate phoned ma step mum n swore at her and has been pranking my family since..

and yeahh my friend is pakistani too... so she does want to make a big scene.. but liek when they find out its their own sister who took it then itll get thrown in her face.. but the problem is how do i introduce the fact that her own sister did it.. if i try telling the sister to own up shed probably either run away, or shed say it was me and that i sold it of... even still they could go to the shop and see that she gave id and took the money for it.. but all along theyd be making me look like teh theif and shes told people that ive robbed it.. she wont go round syaing ohh her sister robbed it not me..

ReputationRep:
    It sucks to be accused of something you didn't do and not be able to defend yourself properly. Yet I'd also advise you not to do anything (unless the police becomes involved.. or unless your own family advises you to speak out). Cut contact with this girl's family completely and try to occupy your mind with other things. Be safe in the knowledge that you didn't steal it and that that can be proven if it should ever become necessary.

People are not stupid. If you are not generally disliked and this girl is a gossip/bit of a character they won't all believe the first crap they hear about you from her.

(Original post by Cutiemcprettie)
    even still they could go to the shop and see that she gave id and took the money for it..

ReputationRep:
    the girl is like one of those big eyeliner flicks, big quiff alot of makeup overly tight clothes no college kicked out of school and not liked by girls, and herself only talks to guys... i was wrong to become friends with her, i became lazy she'd try taking me to places where she had people who didnt like her and tried to make me fight for her, so i slowly began to back of..my family said to wait until they do something, or we could ask advice from our family friend who is a solicitor. But im not planning on speaking to the girl or her family, and i had to let my family know that i was a knob to not listen to them when they told me that the girl was bad..all of my friends are saying that she is a knob and that they know im not like that.. but they say solve it as soon as because she could throw any accusation at me.. shes been phoning my family being cheeky and disrespectful.. but i guess i just have to wait.. my family are supportive but they seem stressed and let down by me x

ReputationRep:
    Cool thread bro!!!

ReputationRep:
    the girl is like one of those big eyeliner flicks, big quiff alot of makeup overly tight clothes no college kicked out of school and not liked by girls, and herself only talks to guys... i was wrong to become friends with her, i became lazy she'd try taking me to places where she had people who didnt like her and tried to make me fight for her, so i slowly began to back of..my family said to wait until they do something, or we could ask advice from our family friend who is a solicitor. But im not planning on speaking to the girl or her family, and i had to let my family know that i was a knob to not listen to them when they told me that the girl was bad..all of my friends are saying that she is a knob and that they know im not like that.. but they say solve it as soon as because she could throw any accusation at me.. shes been phoning my family being cheeky and disrespectful.. but i guess i just have to wait.. my family are supportive but they seem stressed and let down by me x
    I think the best person you can talk to is your family friend who is a solicitor not TSR. Do it ASAP and try to find some proof that it was sold not stolen e.g. going to the pawn shop or wherever, but tell this to your solicitor first.
    Good luck, I know what it's like to be accused of something you didn't do.

ReputationRep:
    slap her

ReputationRep:
    shes been phoning my family being cheeky and disrespectful..
    That just shows everyone how immature and rude she is. Even if I suspected someone of theft I would not act like that.

but i guess i just have to wait.. my family are supportive but they seem stressed and let down by me x
    It's just a ring. It's the whole drama surrounding it that is the problem and that causes everyone all this stress. Luckily you have a supportive family and friends. Stick to that. I guess you already apologised to your family / thanked them for their support. You come across as genuinely sorry about this mess (and misjudging a girl's character is not a crime) and I am sure they can see that.

About taking action: I would listen to your family rather than your friends. Both have your interests at heart and your friends sound nice and mean well, but they don't have the life experience your family has. I think you should trust them in this and wait.. in the meantime, talk to your family friend/solicitor about it if you want. Even if it'll turn out not to be necessary it may help you get things into perspective. It's just a bloody ring and you're innocent. And all the people that matter know it.

In a few weeks/months nobody will think about this any more.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of peopel ahve began to say how the girl has changed with them, became stuck up and attention seeking like.. she herself calls her older sister a **** and swears at her in the middle of town.. her older sister who took the ring no one talks to her in the family and as soon as she gets caught most likely she will run away and the truth will be found out.. but it hurts when you see someone as soo close and they hurt you.. and my mate si immature shes the youngest child so she is spoilt.. parents do nothing older siblinsg do nothing they jus wait until they can claim benefits n sit at home or hang up town.. i feel like a knob for even talking to any one of them

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk to the older sister and see if she can do anything to help. If things get worse and the police are involed and you're a suspect, then maybe you could go to the pawn shop and ask if they remember the ring and her sister? I know you were there as well but he might remember who he gae the money to. Or do you hae to sign anything in pawn shops, I presume not? Oh well, see how things go, it might just die down after a while.

ReputationRep:
    When you go in the pawn shop theres cameras and they take a copy of your id and you ahve to check and sign the recipet they give two copys so they are bound to have the copy..i dont really wnat to tell ehr sister to stick up for me because her family dont like her and wont listen to her, and if i say ill go to the police the sister will start saying i took the ring too.. so i think i should just hang around and wait until they send teh police to me and then i give my side and let them check cctv and get recipet copies..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.