Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just obtained my results, 2 2.1s and 2 2.2s (almost identical to my first year results). However, this year it was due to not finishing the paper in my exam! Very frustrating to be getting high 2.1s throughout the year and seeing a 2.2 for the first time from exam results.

I am currently on 4 year course (law with french), therefore next year is my penultimate year. Do I still have a chance to get a vac scheme despite these grades?

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Of course you still have a chance - it will just be less likely.

Do you have any volunteer work or work experience to back up your C.V?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I have work experience dating back to when I was 16, and currently finalising work experience in a mediation firm, i had high hopes to apply to american firms, but with 4 2.1s and 4 2.2s altogether for 1st and 2nd year it seems unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    anyone with experience in a similar situation??

ReputationRep:
    What are the actual marks that you got? High or low 2:1s and 2:2s? What were your reasons for not finishing a paper? Which university are you at?

I would have thought that you would have difficulty at some of the more prestigious US firms but I see no reason why you shouldn't be successful at other City firms, provided your results are strong.

ReputationRep:
    2 mid 2.1s and 2 high 2.2s, not that great, I am currently at King's College London, didn't finish a paper due to lack of discipline, not knowing when to stop as I really got involved in some questions...

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's worth applying. But you will need to be tactical with where you apply, and how you sell yourself. A lot will depend on your CV and application answers, and how well they are geared towards specific firms. Drop me a PM if you want to talk about application technique.

If it helps any, I got a third in criminal law, and then went on to secure three mini-pupillages and a vacation scheme all in criminal practices! You really can do it, provided that you understand how to highlight your skills.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.