Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The thread for anyone leaving their loved one for uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

I was thinking about this, as my boyfriend of nearly 2 years is off to uni at the end of the year and was wondering how many other people would be affected by leaving their loved one , for them or you, to go off to uni. For example:

Do you have any ways of dealing with it?
    How do you feel about it?:
    ..Scared
    ..Excited perhaps

I thought a thread like this might be helpful for people like me and you out there who are in this position =] *If it hasnt already been done*

Thankyou :call:

ReputationRep:
    Woooo can't wait to get other girls now !

So im excited

ReputationRep:
    im going to uni and laving my bf....bit worried but hey im excited as anything!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean... leaving as in splitting up or being far away from him?

ReputationRep:
    There is already a thread for this... its at the top of the page! the LDR advice centre plus theres the LDR soc (we're lovely promise ) if you need to talk about being worried/scared wondering how to make it work theres always someone to help.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't mean splitting up.

I've been with my amazing girlfriend for over a year now, and we're both going to university in October; we're not just going to split up the day before and depart. If we were going to do that, then what's the point even being together now when it's not destined to last?

If you mean the distance, well, I'm in an odd situation. My girlfriend and I are currently 120 miles apart; in October (providing we both get our Firm choices), we'll be just over 60 miles away - half the distance and a third of the time on the train!

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're excited, that would imply you're breaking up due to wanting to be single and meeting other people, not because of the distance. Therefore I'd suggest that uni isn't the reason you are breaking up, you are just using it as one, and it would have happened anyway.

ReputationRep:
    no were not breaking up, i love him. im excited to meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    No i dont mean splitting up..i mean just being far away. Me and my boyfriend are going from 15 mins to 4hours :O. Nice stiuation to be in =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl12)
    No i dont mean splitting up..i mean just being far away. Me and my boyfriend are going from 15 mins to 4hours :O. Nice stiuation to be in =]
    Oh ok, that can't be nice for you I'm the opposite... from roughly 5 hours (plane + car) to 0 minutes :mmm: So yes, I AM excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I've been with my amazing girlfriend for over a year now, and we're both going to university in October; we're not just going to split up the day before and depart. If we were going to do that, then what's the point even being together now when it's not destined to last?
    Chances are that you won't get married to this girl (no offence, just statistics!), so what's the point even being together now if you're not going to be together forever?

Answer: to enjoy each other now I'll admit that getting into a relationship with a set end-date is different to getting into a relationship that probably won't last forever, but the principles are the same: you're enjoying the present

ReputationRep:
    If i get into my first choice we're gonna be ten hours apart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Chances are that you won't get married to this girl (no offence, just statistics!), so what's the point even being together now if you're not going to be together forever?

Answer: to enjoy each other now I'll admit that getting into a relationship with a set end-date is different to getting into a relationship that probably won't last forever, but the principles are the same: you're enjoying the present
    None taken; I know where you're coming from!

I just don't see the point in a relationship you're going to end on a set date, unless you're **** buddies lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    None taken; I know where you're coming from!

I just don't see the point in a relationship you're going to end on a set date, unless you're **** buddies lol
    You can like each other as more than just ****-buddies, without wanting a really long-term thing...I hope.

I am goin to uni nxt year! my gf is a year behind! i wanna mve to liverpool (we live across the water) but that wud mean being away frm her 4 like 3 mnths at a time!
    I av no plans of saying "C Ya" on da start date of my course!

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone who tries to keep a serious LDR during university is deluded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapturedSoul)
    Why is it deluded? I've managed to keep an LDR going for nearly two years now - the first year at home, the second year whilst I was at Uni.
    He's cheating on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    He's cheating on you.
    I like how you've made up a completely nonsensical point when your other point was proven wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone who tries to keep a serious LDR during university is deluded.
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    He's cheating on you.
    thats if hes had the chance

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.