Turn on thread page Beta

The thread for anyone leaving their loved one for uni watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My LDR will in fact be a shorter distance which is nice. Whether it'll work or not remains to be seen

Some of the people here are being right *******s, don't listen to them.

ReputationRep:
    haha people who say LDRs don't work are those who have never truly fallen in love. I live 5 hours away from my boyfriend ( Greece - England ) and we are happier than I could ever believe I would be ! Plus, we are now together for 4 whole months for summer, 24 hours a day.
    Next year I 'm coming to England for erasmus, we 'll still be 4 hours apart ( by train this time lol... ) but I am still excited, because I know I am willing to spend these 4 hours as frequently as possible, so I 'll see him alot !
    LDRs do work !! We have proof ( check the LDR soc, and you 'll see ! ) !

ReputationRep:
    What would you all call a "long-distance" relationship? Right now my girlfriend and I live about 30 miles apart (30-40 minute drive or an hour and a bit on the bus)... Come september we'll be about 80 miles apart, about an hour and a quarter on the train... to be honest it doesn't seem like such a bad situation, since it's easy enough to catch the train up for the weekend...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    haha people who say LDRs don't work are those who have never truly fallen in love. I live 5 hours away from my boyfriend ( Greece - England ) and we are happier than I could ever believe I would be ! Plus, we are now together for 4 whole months for summer, 24 hours a day.
    Next year I 'm coming to England for erasmus, we 'll still be 4 hours apart ( by train this time lol... ) but I am still excited, because I know I am willing to spend these 4 hours as frequently as possible, so I 'll see him alot !
    LDRs do work !! We have proof ( check the LDR soc, and you 'll see ! ) !
    i acutally lol'd when you said greece-england

ReputationRep:
    Not fussed - OH's in the forces, a little thing called uni isn't going to change much. 'Nuff said (:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by crooks & castles)
    you heartless *******. there's nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i think it depends on the type of person you both are to whether it will work. friends of mine had been together nearly 2 and a half years and both cheated and split up in freshers week. others couples had been together about a year and split up a month or two in.
    however me and my boyfriend and several other couples are still together after the first year. ldrs take dedication, communication, and money (damn those train fairs). its not that bad for me and my boyfriend though to be honest, when he lives at home it takes me about an hour and 15 to get to his house on public transport (dlr and bus), when he's at uni it takes about an hour and a half on the tube, then train. simples.

The only time Iv really seen this work at uni (and this is just from my experience, am not trying to insult/annoy anyone) is:
    a) one or other of the partners spends a ridiculous(amount dependant on distance obviously) amount of money travelling to and fro essentially going to see the other every single weekend. and staying over at the other for extended periods
    The academic studies of one/both WILL be harmed.

b) if BOTH are emotionally/physically fairly unable to pursue other relationships at uni

Uni is a time of massive emotional development for those involved and this development rarely includes a boyfriend/girlfriend back home.
    What I especially hate is seeing people going to a closer lesser uni just to try and give their relationship an extra chance, having much less fun fresher year as a result of having to hold back on the festivities (and dont reply to this whining that you can still have the same fun when the one you want to be there having fun with you isnt ~********) AND still break up after half a year or so.

It can work for some but I would say only 10% and anyone heading to uni or having their partner head to uni should not delude themselves that the relationship has anything but a minimal chance of surviving even the first year. And I dont care how long youve been together. Knew a couple 5 years together before uni all the way through school. 8 months into uni bang! game over
    The work means you wont see each other when you want and if you are pursuing a properly full and varied uni life then together time is very hard to schedule. One or other of you (whether it happens before they end it or not) is going to find another YOU at uni, one who they can see everyday and is perhaps even better matched to them as a (new) person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    you heartless *******. there's nothing wrong with it.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...boy_reacts.gif
    was my reaction lol

ReputationRep:
    Im leaving my VW Polo at home when i go to uni. Does that count?

ReputationRep:
    LOL! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richiboi)
    Im leaving my VW Polo at home when i go to uni. Does that count?
    :hugs: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crooks & castles)

I don't understand why....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The only time Iv really seen this work at uni (and this is just from my experience, am not trying to insult/annoy anyone) is:
    a) one or other of the partners spends a ridiculous(amount dependant on distance obviously) amount of money travelling to and fro essentially going to see the other every single weekend. and staying over at the other for extended periods
    The academic studies of one/both WILL be harmed.

b) if BOTH are emotionally/physically fairly unable to pursue other relationships at uni

Uni is a time of massive emotional development for those involved and this development rarely includes a boyfriend/girlfriend back home.
    What I especially hate is seeing people going to a closer lesser uni just to try and give their relationship an extra chance, having much less fun fresher year as a result of having to hold back on the festivities (and dont reply to this whining that you can still have the same fun when the one you want to be there having fun with you isnt ~********) AND still break up after half a year or so.

It can work for some but I would say only 10% and anyone heading to uni or having their partner head to uni should not delude themselves that the relationship has anything but a minimal chance of surviving even the first year. And I dont care how long youve been together. Knew a couple 5 years together before uni all the way through school. 8 months into uni bang! game over
    The work means you wont see each other when you want and if you are pursuing a properly full and varied uni life then together time is very hard to schedule. One or other of you (whether it happens before they end it or not) is going to find another YOU at uni, one who they can see everyday and is perhaps even better matched to them as a (new) person.
    do you post anonymously because you know you are full of **** ??

there is a third category people who love each other, respect their studies as well and are together without harming anything or anyone and not because they are unable to pursue a new relationship. This weird idea that uni life doesn't exist without weekly sex is just wrong....grow up.

also, a ridiculous amount of money is the money people spend on drinking all the time, not on seeing the person they love...talk about wrong priorities....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.