Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    the first year Hardware course here, I got to lecture 5 before it all stopped making sense,
    Hey cool, that's how far I got through Hardware this year before I started giving up with Fridays...

ReputationRep:
    I have a good one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinking-Gam...7322149&sr=8-5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie344)
    I have a good one.
    :cool:

I like you already.

ReputationRep:
    I have a good one.
    I lol'd.

I am officially scared of Fresher's Week now, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    I have a good one.
    ROTFL. I actually used to work at the publishing house that made this, quite an entertaining read

ReputationRep:
    :woo: I reckon a massive game of ring of fire is in order in freshers week :p:

ReputationRep:
    :woo: I reckon a massive game of ring of fire is in order in freshers week :p:
    Hard to say no to that But on a slightly more serious note, where would these sort of "activities" take place during freshers' week? I'm sure there will be plenty of events within one's hall of residence, but how about ways for people in different halls to get together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Hard to say no to that But on a slightly more serious note, where would these sort of "activities" take place during freshers' week? I'm sure there will be plenty of events within one's hall of residence, but how about ways for people in different halls to get together?
    Theres the mingle which is on the first Sunday I think, which the probably one of the only times of the year that the Union is particularly busy. Freshers ball is quite good as well.

If you join the hockey club (hint hint) theres the Fresher's Tour on which a lot of alcohol is consumed, and a little hockey played.

With Ring of Fire, you MUST play waterfall otherwise it isn't really Ring of fire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    Theres the mingle which is on the first Sunday I think, which the probably one of the only times of the year that the Union is particularly busy. Freshers ball is quite good as well.

If you join the hockey club (hint hint) theres the Fresher's Tour on which a lot of alcohol is consumed, and a little hockey played.

With Ring of Fire, you MUST play waterfall otherwise it isn't really Ring of fire
    Does this mean I have to sort out a suit for the first bloody week?
    Waterfall is so good its like a big mexican drinking wave :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean I have to sort out a suit for the first bloody week?
    Waterfall is so good its like a big mexican drinking wave :yep:
    I had a suit and a tux from the first term. Althoguh it is smart casual most people go to the Freshers ball in suits or tuxes. I had both a suit and a tux with me so I was sorted. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I had a suit and a tux from the first term. Althoguh it is smart casual most people go to the Freshers ball in suits or tuxes. I had both a suit and a tux with me so I was sorted. :cool:
    God that must be awkward though, going to a ball without knowing anyone there This might be the inner anti-social geek in me speaking, but I find the idea quite daunting actually. Oh well, nothing that booze can't fix I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    God that must be awkward though, going to a ball without knowing anyone there This might be the inner anti-social geek in me speaking, but I find the idea quite daunting actually. Oh well, nothing that booze can't fix I guess.
    By the freshers ball I already knew over 1/2 of the people in my hall (Pembridge) and it was quite a laugh, with so many people getting completely wasted and pasted. Was fun though.

ReputationRep:
    "Modern Operating System" by Tanenbaum is also very useful for the OS course, it might be worth to start reading earlier as its a thick book, but then you might always be surprised by the exam paper lol.

to Sunspoon: You are working hard to get people into ICHC then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer_Dude)
    "Modern Operating System" by Tanenbaum is also very useful for the OS course, it might be worth to start reading earlier as its a thick book, but then you might always be surprised by the exam paper lol.

to Sunspoon: You are working hard to get people into ICHC then?
    Oh yeah definitely, I'm on the Exec committee now and we have a new Mens team this season to fill up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer_Dude)
    Oh, it's a lovely book I read it a couple of years ago (it was the 2nd edition I believe), and I thought it was one of the best compsci textbooks I've ever come across. "Computer Networks" (by the same author) is also hugely interesting, though I wish he went into a bit more detail here and there (e.g. mobile phone networks).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Oh, it's a lovely book I read it a couple of years ago (it was the 2nd edition I believe), and I thought it was one of the best compsci textbooks I've ever come across. "Computer Networks" (by the same author) is also hugely interesting, though I wish he went into a bit more detail here and there (e.g. mobile phone networks).
    Haha, do you really need to take the degree? Sounds like you will have covered most of it already :p:

My "Mathematical methods for science students" arrived today, it looks like a bundle of laughs (as do most mid 90's textbooks) but if I get really bored I'll give a few chapters a go I guess. Anything's better than nothing in the end I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Haha, do you really need to take the degree? Sounds like you will have covered most of it already :p:

My "Mathematical methods for science students" arrived today, it looks like a bundle of laughs (as do most mid 90's textbooks) but if I get really bored I'll give a few chapters a go I guess. Anything's better than nothing in the end I suppose.
    Lol, I think we'll both find a degree from Imperial takes a lot more than just reading around a bit I also ordered "Mathematical methods from science students", it was a steal at £4.76 from Amazon Marketplace with international delivery, though I have no idea how long it's gonna take to get here :| Last time I bought something from the UK (PG Tips ) it took more than 2 weeks with so-called "standard delivery" :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)

The last edition was in 1974 I believe...

ReputationRep:
    The last edition was in 1974 I believe...
    Yeah that's the one I've got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Lol, I think we'll both find a degree from Imperial takes a lot more than just reading around a bit I also ordered "Mathematical methods from science students", it was a steal at £4.76 from Amazon Marketplace with international delivery, though I have no idea how long it's gonna take to get here :| Last time I bought something from the UK (PG Tips ) it took more than 2 weeks with so-called "standard delivery" :mad:
    I got it for 3.56 :rolleyes:
    Hasn't arrived yet mind.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.