Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie344)
    I got it for 3.56 :rolleyes:
    Hasn't arrived yet mind.
    I got mine for £3.72

Dunno why there are so many cheap ones...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any, nor have I ordered any book yet - I'm not counting on buying it online since I may just receive the book after I've left for Imperial (international shipping...), and no local bookstore seems to have any of the books recommended. Guess I'll just buy any 'engineering mathematics' book that appeals to me...

Seriously though, how much time are all of you planning to devote to reading? I was thinking around 2 hours a day, on most days until September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ui9)
    I don't have any, nor have I ordered any book yet - I'm not counting on buying it online since I may just receive the book after I've left for Imperial (international shipping...), and no local bookstore seems to have any of the books recommended. Guess I'll just buy any 'engineering mathematics' book that appeals to me...

Seriously though, how much time are all of you planning to devote to reading? I was thinking around 2 hours a day, on most days until September.
    I wasnt doing any until I read this thread I better get working soon or I might cry if I get to Imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ui9)

2 hours a day?!

I was going to do it occasionally if I get bored. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the reason I thought I should do 2 hrs/day is because I thought everyone else would be!

The impression I've acquired of Imperial is that everyone's really serious and studious...and hence would do a fair bit of preparatory reading.

In any case, I need to revise my maths since I'm on a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    On a slightly unrelated note, I love how Jeremy Bradley's notes for Mathematical Methods have a little progress bar at the bottom I can just about imagine people staring at it during lectures wishing they could speed up time and get the whole bar to fill faster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ui9)
    Honestly, the reason I thought I should do 2 hrs/day is because I thought everyone else would be!

The impression I've acquired of Imperial is that everyone's really serious and studious...and hence would do a fair bit of preparatory reading.

In any case, I need to revise my maths since I'm on a gap year.
    I seriously doubt it, you've got to realise that most people going off to Imperial in October won't be using these forums, or have thought to have looked up the stuff they'll be learning in the first year etc.. From what I gather the course is designed to teach you everything pretty much from scratch so long as you have met the offer required of you. If you were "expected" to be doing 2 hours per day of work now, I'm sure we would've at least heard something from ICL regarding the matter .

Props to anyone that does do a lot of work over the summer though, as I'm sure it'll make life much easier for you come October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    On a slightly unrelated note, I love how Jeremy Bradley's notes for Mathematical Methods have a little progress bar at the bottom I can just about imagine people staring at it during lectures wishing they could speed up time and get the whole bar to fill faster
    Jeremy's have this, and then Harrison tried to copy it, failed and ended up with a progress bar that goes far off the end of the screen.

If you colour the progress bar in you can pretend the lecture has finished and go home early...

ReputationRep:
    My copy of "Mathematical Methods for Science Students" (2nd edition) arrived today I hadn't realised the author was a lecturer at Imperial, I guess that explains why they're recommending it in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Central Library on campus today to have a look at "Analysis: With an Introduction to Proof" and see if it was worth getting a copy. I don't think it is, quite frankly. It seems all right, but I don't think it's as essential as the Stephenson (in that you could find hundreds of textbooks that will teach you the same concepts in exactly the same way).

(My £0.02, of course).

ReputationRep:
    I made the biggest mistake buying the two recommended books. Wasted a lot of money. Both books are in the exact same spot I put them in after they arrived.

ReputationRep:
    I bought the 2 he recommended, and they haven't really moved since. I ended up buying both Stroud engineering maths books which explain it all to you (and way more) as if you're an idiot - they're way more expensive, but definitely worth the money!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.