The Student Room Group

What exactly are my chances and what do I do.

Ok, I didn't get enough points for my offer for two universities, manchester and edinburgh. I phoned them both up, they said its not possible to give me a place so fair enough. Then I heard about something called UCAS extra, so I looked on UCAS which places had spare places, and one of them was nottingham. They wanted 32 points and maths and chemistry which is exactly what I have. So I called them and asked how you go about reapplying to get onto the course, but it turns out extra closed a while ago and I have to wait for clearing.

Is there any way I can get an offer without waiting for clearing seeing as I have the points and all, or is clearing the only way to go? In which case how likely is it that I get a place at all considering all this stuff about uni's being oversubscribed...

I'm applying for chemical engineering btw. :woo:
Reply 1
First call them up again to check if they still have places left. If they do, seeing as you're an IB student (I think), you should be able to now apply for clearing.
Reply 2
It's very very unlikely that they'll offer a place not through UCAS, but if you phone them up and ask what the odds are and if they'd be able to offer you a place, they may informally offer you a place, which is a head start for clearing.
Reply 3
kat2pult
First call them up again to check if they still have places left. If they do, seeing as you're an IB student (I think), you should be able to now apply for clearing.

DarkWhite
It's very very unlikely that they'll offer a place not through UCAS, but if you phone them up and ask what the odds are and if they'd be able to offer you a place, they may informally offer you a place, which is a head start for clearing.

Thanks very much, I'll try that in a little while then.=)
It is unlikely in the extreme that any university will be making additional offers before clearing opens, especially this year when there is likely to be a massive shortage of places. They will all want to see what their commitment to accepted candidates is before taking on additional ones.
Reply 5
conormacklin
Ok, I didn't get enough points for my offer for two universities, manchester and edinburgh. I phoned them both up, they said its not possible to give me a place so fair enough. Then I heard about something called UCAS extra, so I looked on UCAS which places had spare places, and one of them was nottingham. They wanted 32 points and maths and chemistry which is exactly what I have. So I called them and asked how you go about reapplying to get onto the course, but it turns out extra closed a while ago and I have to wait for clearing.

Is there any way I can get an offer without waiting for clearing seeing as I have the points and all, or is clearing the only way to go? In which case how likely is it that I get a place at all considering all this stuff about uni's being oversubscribed...

I'm applying for chemical engineering btw.
I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it at this stage, unfortunately. You'll need to be ready to contact them again as soon as Clearing opens on 20 August. Check out the Results Day thread stickied at the top of this forum for more information.
Reply 6
Hello,

I also didn't have enough points with Manchester Uni, but the thing with manchester is that they have foundation courses and then you can progress onto the degree you want to do.

I fyou really want to do chemcial engineering ask about the Engineering with a Foundation Year (4 or 5 Years) course. Usually they ask for lower entry requiremnets (32-35 points) and also ask whether you expect that course to be in clearing so then you can be on your toes on A level results day and scoop it up!

I'm still waiting to hear about the Life sciences foundation course!

Latest