Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any one who successfully applied the college Bursaries offered by Ustinvo College??

ReputationRep:
    I want Trevs to do one ._.

ReputationRep:
    They just emailed me that the decision will come until 27 July..

ReputationRep:
    I think this bursary also covers Castle postgrads living in Brakenbury, I had the same email on the 10th (when it was supposed to be decided) that we would find out by the 27th due to the number of applications.

Does it cover all Ustinov postgrads? Or just those at Brakenbury?

ReputationRep:
    All of us..

ReputationRep:
    any got result yet?

ReputationRep:
    I got an email just before lunchtime saying i had been unsuccessful. This is the second blow i've had regarding funding, might have to defer for a year now.

ReputationRep:
    I got a negative answer too

ReputationRep:
    negative :-(

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to get turned down, although I suppose there is some consolation in the thought that it's gone to someone who needs it more. Although in saying that, that's probably not quite true, probably another bursary meant for those in need that ends up going to some ex public school student with straight As and a 1st whose parents could probably foot the bill anyway. Or maybe i'm just being cynical after my experiences at my undergrad uni.

ReputationRep:
    me too!!! I am not outstanding engouh.... really have to improve myself, hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Without encouraging people to get their tiny violins out, I can't imagine many people being in a more difficult financial situation than myself. I'm having to fund absolutely everything myself because i'm studying a taught course. My parents can't afford to help me out and even if they could I'm 26 so should really be fending for myself. As far as the bit about the bursaries being aimed at students who have a lot to offer their college; I represented my previous uni at national sports competitions, was a member of the staff-student committee, a student rep for the uni senate and a social chair for one of my societies. All of these roles are things i'd like to do at Durham as well as representing the uni on a couple of sports teams if i was good enough. Just called my Mum to tell her i didn't get it and she's trying to convince me to defer for a year. She might be talking sense but i really don't want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Without encouraging people to get their tiny violins out, I can't imagine many people being in a more difficult financial situation than myself. I'm having to fund absolutely everything myself because i'm studying a taught course. My parents can't afford to help me out and even if they could I'm 26 so should really be fending for myself. As far as the bit about the bursaries being aimed at students who have a lot to offer their college; I represented my previous uni at national sports competitions, was a member of the staff-student committee, a student rep for the uni senate and a social chair for one of my societies. All of these roles are things i'd like to do at Durham as well as representing the uni on a couple of sports teams if i was good enough. Just called my Mum to tell her i didn't get it and she's trying to convince me to defer for a year. She might be talking sense but i really don't want to
    Don't worry too much. I am 26 too and funding myself completely. Living cost won't be a large amount... So IMO, if you can settle the course fee and accommodation exp, just try it and don't waste your time... Let's support each other, okay ?!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! And I thought I was going to be an older student! I'm also 26 and pursuing an MA this year (St Chad's). Also fully funding myself. Thought about deferring because the loans I'm having to take out are horrendous, but decided hey, only one life to live, not getting any younger, I'm going to take the plunge. Don't have undergraduate debt though, so that's a plus. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivesives)
    Don't worry too much. I am 26 too and funding myself completely. Living cost won't be a large amount... So IMO, if you can settle the course fee and accommodation exp, just try it and don't waste your time... Let's support each other, okay ?!
    Thanks for the encouragement nice to know there are others in the same boat!

Spent years in my undergrad course with people who had rich parents but got every scholarship and bursary under the sun because they had a lot of opportunities that i didn't have.

One of my uni flat mates got a £1000 bursary for getting 3 As (she only had 3 people in her Eng lit class, 3 in her Latin and was the only person in her Greek class, i had 30 people in my Eng lit and got a B - noone can say we both had equal amounts of support from our teachers) , a £1500 scholarship for being musically gifted (despite studying classics, plus both her parents are music teachers). In addition to this and her student loan her parents also gave her £50 per week and paid her share of the bills whenever they came through the post. She'd complain because she couldn't afford to go out for the fourth night of the week. I was lucky if i got out four times a term, i had three part time jobs while studying.

Off the soap box now, rant over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverswan)
    Wow! And I thought I was going to be an older student! I'm also 26 and pursuing an MA this year (St Chad's). Also fully funding myself. Thought about deferring because the loans I'm having to take out are horrendous, but decided hey, only one life to live, not getting any younger, I'm going to take the plunge. Don't have undergraduate debt though, so that's a plus. :yes:

Great to find another person too, wow, this little boat of mine is gonna be pretty big soon lol. What course are studying? I'll be reading Theology and I'll be in Castle. Same question to ivesives.

I still have all of my undergrad debt but thankfully it's all proper student loan debt so nothing to worry about as far as paying it back goes. Contemplating a CDL but unsure if i'll get one because of a poor credit rating and also worried that once i've applied for one it takes a while to hear back and if i'm unsuccessful i won't find out until just a couple of weeks before the start of term.

ReputationRep:
    the question is; will they really provide accommodation for us?

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my college today because i was concerned that they hadn't cashed my cheque yet, after sorting that out the secretary told me that the uni has told the colleges not to confirm accommodation to anyone who hadn't paid their deposit by the deadline. Luckily in my case they did have my cheque but it hadn't been cashed yet because the secretary has been on holiday and hadn't gotten through all of her mail yet. I guess reading between the lines this means that some colleges have realised they are oversubscribed as far as accom goes so the other colleges have been told not to assign accom to anyone who sends their deposit after the deadline in order to allow those who have been caught out to be assigned accom in another college. I wouldn't worry, it seems like anyone who paid their deposit by the deadline will get accom just like they agreed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Great to find another person too, wow, this little boat of mine is gonna be pretty big soon lol. What course are studying? I'll be reading Theology and I'll be in Castle. Same question to ivesives.

I still have all of my undergrad debt but thankfully it's all proper student loan debt so nothing to worry about as far as paying it back goes. Contemplating a CDL but unsure if i'll get one because of a poor credit rating and also worried that once i've applied for one it takes a while to hear back and if i'm unsuccessful i won't find out until just a couple of weeks before the start of term.
    I'm studying for an MA in Medieval and Renaissance Literary Studies. But I also love theology. I'm a Mennonite/Anabaptist. Hope I bump into you once I get to Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Thanks for the encouragement nice to know there are others in the same boat!

Spent years in my undergrad course with people who had rich parents but got every scholarship and bursary under the sun because they had a lot of opportunities that i didn't have.

One of my uni flat mates got a £1000 bursary for getting 3 As (she only had 3 people in her Eng lit class, 3 in her Latin and was the only person in her Greek class, i had 30 people in my Eng lit and got a B - noone can say we both had equal amounts of support from our teachers) , a £1500 scholarship for being musically gifted (despite studying classics, plus both her parents are music teachers). In addition to this and her student loan her parents also gave her £50 per week and paid her share of the bills whenever they came through the post. She'd complain because she couldn't afford to go out for the fourth night of the week. I was lucky if i got out four times a term, i had three part time jobs while studying.

Off the soap box now, rant over
    I will be doing MA in management in the coming October and was assigned to Ustinov College (I want to change!!!). I think I am equally miserable than you two, if not more, coz I have to pay the overseas price hahaha..... Yup, we are on the broken boat, if not sinking , let's make friends and see you at Durham in Oct!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.