Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, when applying for a Tier 4 General Student visa, you are required to have a visa letter from your universities, which states what qualifications you have earned, etc. Then, you are required to show original copies of those qualifications.

For those of us doing the IB, what are you going to show as your "original copy"? Would a printout from the results website be sufficient? My IB coordinator doesn't think we get any official certificates or anything, other than the diploma, and that comes too late to use in applying for the visa.

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    So, when applying for a Tier 4 General Student visa, you are required to have a visa letter from your universities, which states what qualifications you have earned, etc. Then, you are required to show original copies of those qualifications.

For those of us doing the IB, what are you going to show as your "original copy"? Would a printout from the results website be sufficient? My IB coordinator doesn't think we get any official certificates or anything, other than the diploma, and that comes too late to use in applying for the visa.

Advice?
    Our IBC printed out the results and had them notarially certified for a classmate and his university accepted that.

ReputationRep:
    i think they mean original copy of ur result, but most of all the acceptance letter of ur place from the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    i think they mean original copy of ur result, but most of all the acceptance letter of ur place from the uni
    But, what is an "original copy" of our IB results? Is it a printout of the results site, or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CATIII)
    Our IBC printed out the results and had them notarially certified for a classmate and his university accepted that.
    Sweet, that is easy enough to do. Our school has their own notary. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What CATIII said. My school did that for a few people needing 'formal' results early, and universities and other agencies need to understand the actual diplomas aren't distibuted until September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nota bene)
    What CATIII said. My school did that for a few people needing 'formal' results early, and universities and other agencies need to understand the actual diplomas aren't distibuted until September.
    Thanks. I shall do that, then!

ReputationRep:
    uum just out of interest what happens if u are an overseas student and need to retake in November but your visa runs out come October 31? Do you think you can renew a year with the specific reason for your stay in UK? with the original IB results as well? thanks

ReputationRep:
    The University of Edinburgh sent me an email today saying that I would need my actual diploma? I am worried now, because if that's true, I don't think I'll get my visa in time.

Did the people at your school actually get the visa?

ReputationRep:
    The University of Edinburgh sent me an email today saying that I would need my actual diploma? I am worried now, because if that's true, I don't think I'll get my visa in time.

i just sent my application, waiting reply.
    For me my university (UCL) asked me to give the personal code and PIN no. so that they can access my results, they then change my UCAS status to become unconditional. So i think u of edinburgh should let you in if you show them your results coz you've met your conditions (if thats the case)

ReputationRep:
    i just sent my application, waiting reply.
    For me my university (UCL) asked me to give the personal code and PIN no. so that they can access my results, they then change my UCAS status to become unconditional. So i think u of edinburgh should let you in if you show them your results coz you've met your conditions (if thats the case)
    Well, my offer is unconditional on UCAS and everything. THis is for the visa bit. You have to show original copies of the results stated on your visa letter. Did you just send a notarised print out of your results?

ReputationRep:

It wasn't for a visa in my case (seeing as people in my school were EU nationals and thus don't need it), so can't really answer specifically.

It was only for the university to admit them to the course, despite UCAS not getting the results from IBO. Then the university recognised signed copies of printouts as official verification of grades. I see no reason why Edinburgh shouldn't recognise this wrt a student visa either. They know (or well, should know!) that it is an impossibility for you to have the actual diploma in your hand by the time you are actually starting the course, let alone applying for the visa!

ReputationRep:
    Well, my offer is unconditional on UCAS and everything. THis is for the visa bit. You have to show original copies of the results stated on your visa letter. Did you just send a notarised print out of your results?
    well this is not right lol. the visa letter shows that you got an unconditional offer so that you can apply for a visa. Obviously you need to have to show them your results so that they can make a decision for your offer. For me they just sent me the visa letter after changing my offer to unconditonal.

ReputationRep:
    well this is not right lol. the visa letter shows that you got an unconditional offer so that you can apply for a visa. Obviously you need to have to show them your results so that they can make a decision for your offer. For me they just sent me the visa letter after changing my offer to unconditonal.
    Well, doesn't your visa letter state the qualifications you earned that made your offer unconditional i.e. your IB results?

ReputationRep:
    yup. including all the subject breakdowns and the total score.

ReputationRep:
    yup. including all the subject breakdowns and the total score.
    Then when you apply for your visa, you have to prove that you actually got those qualifications.

"* Documents used to obtain your visa letter: you must provide any documents listed on your visa letter that were used to obtain your place at the institution"

ReputationRep:
    Then when you apply for your visa, you have to prove that you actually got those qualifications.

"* Documents used to obtain your visa letter: you must provide any documents listed on your visa letter that were used to obtain your place at the institution"
    Which should (again) suffice with a signed copy of the results, unless they're a bit stupid:p:

ReputationRep:
    Which should (again) suffice with a signed copy of the results, unless they're a bit stupid:p:
    Well, you know how bureaucracy is. :p: I've requested from the IB an official transcript, and I'll take that as well as a signed copy of my results. My school is also writing me a letter saying that diplomas aren't available until September. Hopefully one of those will be good enough!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you know how bureaucracy is. :p: I've requested from the IB an official transcript, and I'll take that as well as a signed copy of my results. My school is also writing me a letter saying that diplomas aren't available until September. Hopefully one of those will be good enough!
    Hey Rainfaery, can I ask how you requested a transcript from IB? Was it through your IB Coordinator or did you call them?

I'm panicking my head off about my visa and my mom's not helping with the constant yelling. :/ :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seleen)
    Hey Rainfaery, can I ask how you requested a transcript from IB? Was it through your IB Coordinator or did you call them?

I'm panicking my head off about my visa and my mom's not helping with the constant yelling. :/ :eek3:
    Go to www.ibo.org/ibna/graduates

You can print off the form for requesting it there. I'm not sure if people not in the US can use it, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.