Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance said they have my parents documents but will take 8 weeks to clear!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi

Basically i sorted out my finance a while ago, and i phoned student finance yesterday and they said that theyve got my documents but it will take around 6-8 weeks for the details to clear, i mean what the hell. thats absolutely ages.

Can this mean i start university with no finance...

This is rediculous, as my parents and I both filled out the finance forms before the deadline, I should get all my finance before uni starts

Also regarding universities individual burseries and scholarships, students finance told me they dont sort this out and I have to sort this out on my own, is this true? and how do i go about this?

ReputationRep:
    Regarding university bursaries and scholarships, yes it is true.
    If your household income is within the limits (vary a bit from uni to uni) your university will usually let you know that they will be providing a bursary. This wont necessarily happen soon, I got sent my letter weeks after beginning uni. But again it isn't the same everywhere.
    Scholarships I think you often have to enquire about and apply for, they're usually competitive and often based on your A-level results OR your first year.
    Hope this helps!
    I wouldn't worry too much about student finance, you have more than 8 weeks until the beginning of term anyway probably.

ReputationRep:
    If you ring up, the automated message says that if you have applyed within the deadline you will recieve your finance in time, there just being abit slow processing everyones info, so dont worry bout it.
    At least theyve recieved yours, we got to told that they usualy recieve/sort out the info 8weeks after you've posted it.
    Anyway, no need to panic if you did all your stuff within the deadline x

ReputationRep:
    I sent all my evidence off in april and got that back in 6 weeks then for some reson they needed more so we sent that off 6 weeks ago and they said its taking 8-10 weeks to clear stuff. You can start uni with out any finance because its in progress and youll get it a few weeks after you start. With regards to burseries there was an option for student finance to share details with the univeristy, but you would have to look at the university website to see how to apply for burseries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0hannah0x)
    If you ring up, the automated message says that if you have applyed within the deadline you will recieve your finance in time, there just being abit slow processing everyones info, so dont worry bout it.
    At least theyve recieved yours, we got to told that they usualy recieve/sort out the info 8weeks after you've posted it.
    Anyway, no need to panic if you did all your stuff within the deadline x

I completely finished the application within the deadline, my parents did their bit too, but the actual sending of the documents was a week after the deadline, that shouldnt be an issue should it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    I completely finished the application within the deadline, my parents did their bit too, but the actual sending of the documents was a week after the deadline, that shouldnt be an issue should it?
    It generally depends on your LEA and how long it takes them. Mine takes forever which means my bursaries are also often delayed.

Not much you can do but keep hassling your LEA I guess.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    It generally depends on your LEA and how long it takes them. Mine takes forever which means my bursaries are also often delayed.

Not much you can do but keep hassling your LEA I guess.

Good luck.

LEA? sorry im new to this

ReputationRep:
    Its not done by LEAs in England it's now done by one body, student finance England i think

ReputationRep:
    The evidence we had to send was lost in post, so i have to end it all again. But on an email, student finance said i would start with the normal loan amount in september, and when everything is processed i would hopefullyget more. If you're unsure, just call them to get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    I'm not sure to be honest, but it might be ok if it was just a week late, plus its the evidence which they're taking ages to get through so they might not even realise when you sent it (so it might not matter being sent late)
    fingers crossed though x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmasmellsalot)
    Its not done by LEAs in England it's now done by one body, student finance England i think
    Oh, ok. That's news to me, will help me know who to hassle when I don't get any money.

ReputationRep:
    Know the feeling ! Student finance are now claiming i get my grant off them despite the NHS bursarys saying i get it from the NHS. apparently they wont release my loan till my application is finished and the grant is applied for.... even though i shouldnt be getting the grant off them it should be the NHS. grrrr

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.