Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi (im 17)

during the school year i needed to get up at 7am each morning, which i normally managed. now thats finished i still want to continue it, but am having more problems than before, as know i literally do not hear my alarm.
    this used to happen when i was in school occasionally, but i was normally ok, ie parents would wake me up... but now, they say if i wanna get up i have to do it myself, good training for life etc so i end up gettin up at stupidly late times for me, at like 10, or 11. but as i want to be up earlier this is not good (the times are not so important. the problem is how do i wake up when i want to?)

i set 3 alarms on my phone, and one on an alarm clock that doesnt go off for about 5 hours, its connected to the mains. the problem is, i can sleep through noise for about 15 mins, and i subconciously turn off the alarms. i vary the tunes set to go off so i dont get used to sleeping through any one of them but it doesnt help. also, if i put the alarm away from my bed, and it goes off within 15 mins i will sleep through it, not get out of bed to turn it off.
    also, i get about 7 hrs sleep a night which is fine for me, as during school year i was on slightly less than that, and i managed.
    believe it or not, my hearing is actually fine.

IN SHORT: i need a fantastic alarm clock that will definitely wake me up and that i will not be able to sleep through.

help please? suggestions of alarm clocks or other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Get a horrible song on your phone and use it as your alarm.

ReputationRep:
    Get one of those alarm clocks with an actual bell, not an electronic one. They're really loud and go stay on for a bit. Phone alarms don't work that well with me, i tend to just sleep through them like you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Get a horrible song on your phone and use it as your alarm.
    oh ive tried. it literally doesnt help. maybe for the first day or two. but after that i just subconciously turn it off or dont hear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    Get one of those alarm clocks with an actual bell, not an electronic one. They're really loud and go stay on for a bit. Phone alarms don't work that well with me, i tend to just sleep through them like you do
    from where? have you ever slept through it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkybar)
    oh ive tried. it literally doesnt help. maybe for the first day or two. but after that i just subconciously turn it off or dont hear it.
    I guess you sound like my brother (he's your age). I'd suggest buying alarm clocks and putting them in different corners of the room. They should have really annoying alarms that get louder and louder. Maybe that could help.

ReputationRep:
    get one of those alarms that DOESNT turn off after 15 mins and put it far from your bed. then next to that alarm put a post it saying COME ON! you have to wake up. or something that motivates you. if you tell yourself in the evening that if you wake up you'll get something good maybe your brain will remember and you'll motivate yourself. seriously walk out of your bed to turn off your alarm.
    OH and also if you sleep in the dark try opening your blinds when your alarm goes off. this tells your body its wake up time!

ReputationRep:
    If you run your computer overnight you could always use software to do it. Never fails me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    I guess you sound like my brother (he's your age). I'd suggest buying alarm clocks and putting them in different corners of the room. They should have really annoying alarms that get louder and louder. Maybe that could help.
    erm ye. but hard work going to bed the night before though what does your brother do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If you run your computer overnight you could always use software to do it. Never fails me.
    ooh. theres an idea. what software? and can i put my comp on snooze and let the software "wake it up"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkybar)
    erm ye. but hard work going to bed the night before though what does your brother do?
    He goes to school. But he sits in front of the computer all night and my mum wakes him like 7 times each morning. He just sleeps like a rock. I'm really worried he might not stay long in his apprenticeship later this year at this rate...

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your budget, there are some alarm clocks that monitors your sleeping phases, and then allegedly tweaks the alarm time so it goes off at the best time to wake you up - http://www.axbo.com/axbo/CMS/CMS.aspx?Language=E
    I've not used an alarm clock like this though, so cannot back up these claims.

ReputationRep:
    Get one of those alarm clocks that explodes (not literally) into many pieces then you have to put it back together again for it to switch off.....it's one way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissOki)
    Depending on your budget, there are some alarm clocks that monitors your sleeping phases, and then allegedly tweaks the alarm time so it goes off at the best time to wake you up - http://www.axbo.com/axbo/CMS/CMS.aspx?Language=E
    I've not used an alarm clock like this though, so cannot back up these claims.
    interseting. but then look at the price. we're talking 170 quid. wooow, i think i'll miss that one thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Get one of those alarm clocks that explodes (not literally) into many pieces then you have to put it back together again for it to switch off.....it's one way
    from where? whats it called?

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly like you! Phone alarms are rubbish for me, i just turn them off and carry on sleeping. I have an alarm clock that doesn't stop until you actually turn it off, and it gets louder the longer you leave it. But even then i have to set it to go off twice because sometimes i just end up getting back in bed and falling asleep again after i turn it off!

ReputationRep:
    If your having problems where as soon as your alarm goes off you knock it off, move it well away from your bed, forcing you to get up to turn it off. I have a Sony radio alarm clock which at its loudest is pretty damn loud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactus kid :))
    I'm exactly like you! Phone alarms are rubbish for me, i just turn them off and carry on sleeping. I have an alarm clock that doesn't stop until you actually turn it off, and it gets louder the longer you leave it. But even then i have to set it to go off twice because sometimes i just end up getting back in bed and falling asleep again after i turn it off!
    so what to do? do your parents wake you? mine wont its so annoying

ReputationRep:
    You're like my friend, she always sleeps through her alarm or subconciously turns it off and carries on sleeping, so here's a few suggestions we suggested to her.

Put the alarm clock on the other side/corner of the room so you have to get up to turn it off.

There's a helicopter alarm clock you can buy and what it does is when the alarm goes off, the little helicopter flies around the room and you have to catch it and put it back into its base to turn off the alarm. By the time you do that, you should be more or less awake! Last time I saw, it was available in Argos so you can try there.

Get a loud alarm clock. Loud enough to get you to wake up properly. I saw a police siren alarm clock in the Argos catalogue a while ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissJethro)
    You're like my friend, she always sleeps through her alarm or subconciously turns it off and carries on sleeping, so here's a few suggestions we suggested to her.

Put the alarm clock on the other side/corner of the room so you have to get up to turn it off.

There's a helicopter alarm clock you can buy and what it does is when the alarm goes off, the little helicopter flies around the room and you have to catch it and put it back into its base to turn off the alarm. By the time you do that, you should be more or less awake! Last time I saw, it was available in Argos so you can try there.

Get a loud alarm clock. Loud enough to get you to wake up properly. I saw a police siren alarm clock in the Argos catalogue a while ago
    thanks for reply
    just looked on argos website for the heli alarm clock, couldnt see it? any chance you could look and post link? really appreciate it thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.