Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...-phone-hacking

So, we have now found out what went on whilst Cameron's Director of Communications - one of his most important staff on £500k a year - was editor of the News of the World.

Coulson was always a sleazy pick after a writer went to jail for tapping a Prince on his watch. Now there is evidence of the endemic use of phone-tapping and the bribing of public officials at the NoW. This goes far beyond what other tabloids did, and covers more than a few journalists: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...-phone-hacking. Coulson spent most of his time 10 feet from the newsdesk where these stories came from, and dissected them daily: to say that he knew nothing is naive and foolish.

When compared with Cameron's attacks on McBride and how he tried to implicate the Prime Minister during that scandal, Cameron's hypocricy is beyond belief.

Cameron wants to restore trust in politics: how can he do this whilst supporting a man who, at best, was in charge of a newspaper completely out of control with its journalists committing hundreds of illegal acts to get stories which he approved and he was responsible for vetting. At worst, he is directly implicated in criminal activity.

Cameron's response has been appalling: instead of giving an ambivalent response to leave his options open, he got flustered by journalists outside his front door and gave a stupid response to the BBC that limits his course of action. He is now going to face serious questions about his judgment.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the man. I'd have him sacked, most probably. However I don't believe it's correct to say that anyone has dismissed this - there will doubtlessly be party inquiries once his involvement in this is made clear. The outcome of those inquiries should not be pre-judged.

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    When compared with Cameron's attacks on McBride and how he tried to implicate the Prime Minister during that scandal, Cameron's hypocricy is beyond belief.
    McBride was a complete prick, and the Prime Minister was involved.

ReputationRep:
    To stop political fallout he needs to make sure he stays, if he goes then he can be painted to be as bad as Brown and Mcbride.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron should sack him. I don't understand why he is so blase about the affair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't like the man. I'd have him sacked, most probably. However I don't believe it's correct to say that anyone has dismissed this - there will doubtlessly be party inquiries once his involvement in this is made clear. The outcome of those inquiries should not be pre-judged.
    I agree. But when asked whether Coulson was safe, Cameron replied "of course". He has thrown his complete backing behind Coulson, he hasn't said "wait whilst we investigate". It seems a very foolish and bizarre thing for Cameron to say.

Furthermore, with the ineffective Conservative parliamentary expenses panel, you'll have to forgive me for being a little sceptical of a internal Conservative party investigation!
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    To stop political fallout he needs to make sure he stays, if he goes then he can be painted to be as bad as Brown and Mcbride.
    This is 100x worse than the McBride scandal, surely? McBride sent a private e-mail to a colleague making a couple of untrue allegations. This is on a totally different level to being responsible for the phone tapping of a Prince, Prescott, Boris, Max Clifford and more; not to mention the illegal bribing of public officials.

Furthermore, Cameron knew some of what had been going on when he hired Coulson, and should certainly have looked into it as much as possible, though it remains to be seen whether he did in fact do his due diligence. There was no way for Brown to know what McBride was going to do, and indeed Brown got rid of him quickly.

ReputationRep:
    This is 100x worse than the McBride scandal, surely? McBride sent a private e-mail to a colleague making a couple of untrue allegations. This is on a totally different level to being responsible for the phone tapping of a Prince, Prescott, Boris, Max Clifford and more; not to mention the illegal bribing of public officials.

Furthermore, Cameron knew some of what had been going on when he hired Coulson, and should certainly have looked into it as much as possible, though it remains to be seen whether he did in fact do his due diligence. There was no way for Brown to know what McBride was going to do, and indeed Brown got rid of him quickly.
    I wouldn't say so, McBride was a deliberate attempt to smear the opposition parties which is probably seen just as badly in the public eye as someone who's planted phone taps. While i agree its a 'bigger' story i don't think it will have a huge impact on Cameron (no more than McBride had for Brown). That being said, it was fairly stupid for Cameron to instantly go to his defence. If Coulson is cleared of any charges he might just get away from it, but if he isn't then Cameron could take a hit if this drags on too long.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. But when asked whether Coulson was safe, Cameron replied "of course". He has thrown his complete backing behind Coulson, he hasn't said "wait whilst we investigate". It seems a very foolish and bizarre thing for Cameron to say.

Furthermore, with the ineffective Conservative parliamentary expenses panel, you'll have to forgive me for being a little sceptical of a internal Conservative party investigation!

I dislike Mcbride because of how he was set by the Prime Minister to also discredit and attack members of his own party and cabinet.

I think public perception will play on the side that phone tapping is a standard thing for the News of the World to do, rightly or wrongly. Since none of it has been done while being hired by the Conservatives, I think his job is pretty safe.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Cameron will come off that badly. It'll be a Westminster story for a bit.
    I hope those thousands who were targeted sue the **** out of NotW. If Coulson had any part in it (which he must have, how could an editor not know how his journalists get their stories?) then he should be sacked. Some rather weak excuses coming from the Tories at the moment. It was his old job so he shouldnt be accused or held responsible?

ReputationRep:
    This phone hacking story seems pretty low key in the papers, has anyone else noticed this? Coulston should immediately be sacked and David Cameron should be scolded by the media for exercising such poor judgement- in the same way Gordon Brown was during the McBride shenanigans. But I won't hold my breath...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    This phone hacking story seems pretty low key in the papers, has anyone else noticed this? Coulston should immediately be sacked and David Cameron should be scolded by the media for exercising such poor judgement- in the same way Gordon Brown was during the McBride shenanigans. But I won't hold my breath...
    In Gordon Browns case it wasn't poor judgement, he set Mcbride on his own party on a number of occasions.

ReputationRep:
    this is utterly unacceptable. This is a form of stalking, and certainly a gross invasion of privacy, seemingly of some celebrities who had private lives that they wished to keep that way (which the NotW objected to). The CPS should be looking into this, and I hope they'll throw the book at him. That David Cameron has kept him in his job shows a serious lack of judgment.

ReputationRep:
    He's been a good Director of Communications. It'd be highly petty to sack him over alleged previous misdeeds. Not everyone believes in the 'Court of Public Opinion'.

What's so wrong with sleaze, anyway? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I think nothing will happen unless there is some evidence presented to substantiate the allegations by the Guardian. The sad fact is that he will almost certainly get away with it unless the story is given more coverage by other newspapers, or unless there is more evidence presented to make his involvement beyond doubt.
    Still Cameron has shown a lack of judgement in his immediate defence of Coulson, hopefully that will come back to bite him.
    This case is far more shocking than the McBride affair surely, the McBride affair was in particularly bad taste and rather nasty, but this is highly illegal and a violation of liberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    What's so wrong with sleaze, anyway? :ninja:
    Exactly. If you get **** done, and stand up for the little guy, I don't much care if you get an extra swimming pool or three on taxpayers expense.

1. Taxpayers money has been wasted in far greater volumes and on far more foolish endeavours.
    2. Honestly. Wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    It does seem strange that Cameron was so quick to state that Coulson was safe when the official inquiries into the episode have yet to report. Either way, the saga isn't good for the Conservatives...
    It's the crimes themselves that bother me in particular- this phone tapping wasn't on a couple of one off occasions (I'm in no way justifying that either by the way haha) but there seemed to be a systematic acceptance between a group of hacks that this was the way to go about finding stories. The News of The World needs its practices to be internally and externally reviewed because what its done is simply unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less. I don't get why people are so irate about sleaze/corruption in politicians. Politics is inherently sleazy/corrupt. :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.