Turn on thread page Beta

Pulled Back Muscle watch

ReputationRep:
    A couple of months ago during a back workout I was doing bent over rows after a set of heavy deadlifts and I could feel a bit of pain in my left lower back and obviously I thought I was invincible and kept going. After that it was really sore and I was pretty sure I'd pulled it.

It's been getting better but I don't think I'd I rested it enough. I stopped squatting and deadlifting when I was in the gym but I didn't really stop anything else, I now realise that this was probably a stupid idea but I work in a gym and the temptation was too strong.

Its not getting better very quickly and I'm pretty sure this is because I've not actually stopped training and given it the time it needs to heal and have probably just aggravated the injury.

I've got 600mg ibuprofen tabs and planning on taking them 3 times a day for 10 days and not training at all for those ten days. If its still not getting better then I'm gonna go to a doctor and get it checked out.

This sound like a good plan?

Once it has healed I will make sure form is perfect on deads and rows (I think it was poor form on the rows and not enough rest after the deads that did it for me).

ReputationRep:
    Back injuries take a long time to heal unfortunately as they are under constant strain, even from things like walking and running.

I ripped pretty much all the muscles in my back in an accident last year, and I still have back pain so my trainer has started a new routine for me to specifically concentrate on my back.

I think if you're pain has lasted this long, you should take some time out to go and see a physio and get looked at properly. Skip the ibuprofen and just go get it looked at.

Someone in another one of my threads has also suggested yoga for back muscles, to stretch them out and work them gently while you're in your rest period.

ReputationRep:
    Edit and fix your doubley post thing.

Anyway, you haven't given much info on how your injury is affecting you. When does it hurt? What makes it hurt more/less? Are you getting any referred pain in either of your legs?

Do you wear a belt?

Anyway, I suggest you follow the Starr Rehab protocol. It is the be-all and end-all. F*** yoga.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/06...ill-starr.html

http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spindle)
    Back injuries take a long time to heal unfortunately as they are under constant strain, even from things like walking and running.

I ripped pretty much all the muscles in my back in an accident last year, and I still have back pain so my trainer has started a new routine for me to specifically concentrate on my back.

I think if you're pain has lasted this long, you should take some time out to go and see a physio and get looked at properly. Skip the ibuprofen and just go get it looked at.

Someone in another one of my threads has also suggested yoga for back muscles, to stretch them out and work them gently while you're in your rest period.
    I did consider this but since I'm busy all next week and away next weekend I thought I might aswell give the rest and ibuprofen a shot since I wouldn't be able to see a physio for a couple of weeks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Edit and fix your doubley post thing.

Anyway, you haven't given much info on how your injury is affecting you. When does it hurt? What makes it hurt more/less? Are you getting any referred pain in either of your legs?

Do you wear a belt?

Anyway, I suggest you follow the Starr Rehab protocol. It is the be-all and end-all. F*** yoga.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/06...ill-starr.html

http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700

Done the edit, thought I'd managed to do it before anyone replied but apparently not.

The pain is on the left side of my lower back and sometimes spreads to just above the tailbone. Hurts to bend over, it doesn't hurt to twist the torso from side to side. Also, it hurts if I was to try and raise my leg while standing, keeping the leg straight. No pain in the actual leg though.

I don't wear a belt but I think I might start once it has healed, I think the injury may have been caused by arching the back too much while doing rows, (arching in the way if you know what I mean, pulling shoulders back and pushing the chest out).

ReputationRep:
    After reading through this rather long winded blog post, this is what my trainer has me doing. Except not with a broomstick....

ReputationRep:
    Hyperextending can be as bad as rounding. Wear a belt, find the natural arch and keep it there. The belt helps.

Read/Do the Starr Protocal. It sounds like this will definitely help. It won't be fun though, but it will work. Don't do any other heavy lifting whilst running the rehab.

ReputationRep:
    After reading through this rather long winded blog post, this is what my trainer has me doing. Except not with a broomstick....
    Yeah, I also gave a shortened version that's more to the point.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I was skim reading. It is rather long!

I can't even remember the name of the machine :o: But yeah, lots of high reps with a low weight.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I was skim reading. It is rather long!

I can't even remember the name of the machine :o: But yeah, lots of high reps with a low weight.

Machines?!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Hyperextending can be as bad as rounding. Wear a belt, find the natural arch and keep it there. The belt helps.

Read/Do the Starr Protocal. It sounds like this will definitely help. It won't be fun though, but it will work. Don't do any other heavy lifting whilst running the rehab.
    Sounds like a good plan. My training partner is rehabbing a fractured elbow starting from next week as well so I'll start the back rehab then and just now keep going with the ice and ibuprofen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chew)
    Sounds like a good plan. My training partner is rehabbing a fractured elbow starting from next week as well so I'll start the back rehab then and just now keep going with the ice and ibuprofen.
    :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Machines?!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............................
    Why not? Its part of the sports therapy thing my gym has going on.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? Its part of the sports therapy thing my gym has going on.

ReputationRep:
    LOL alright, alright I shouldn't have asked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chew)
    The problem with icing an injury and taking ibuprofen is that it reduces inflammation. In the short term this reduces pain, swelling, etc and makes you feel comfortable but it inhibits the healing process. If you can bear it by all means use gentle exercise (ie; walking, cycling, swimming, etc) and hot showers to improve circulation and flexibility thereby aiding your recovery.

Then when you're not in any pain and you're out of the danger zone, then think about easing yourself back into training. Put the emphasis on technique (which is almost certainly the main cause of your injury) rather than getting up to your previous weight as quickly as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Starr is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Starr is better.
    Starr and Rippetoe still recommend that you REST until you're in a suitable state to rehabilitate your injury:

(Original post by Rippetoe)
    Wait 3-4 days until the pain starts to "blur",which indicates that the immediate process of healing has stopped the bleeding and has started to repair the tissue.
    If you jump straight into Starr's without any sort of rest all you're going to do is further damage and/or aggravate an existing injury (which the OP has already done) resulting in an even greater recovery time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Starr is better.
    So you're recommending that someone with a knackered back goes straight into strengthening exercises!?!?!?!?!?

OP, get to a physio ASAP. Don't bother with the doctor, all that will happen is he will say go see a physio - cut out the middle man. You say you are too busy in the next couple of weeks, well fine, but if it were me, I would find some flipping time to go see someone.

I would guess from your description at either Psoas minor and major or Quadratus Lumborum being upset with you. Does it hurt at all when you flex from side to side, or is it just when you stand up straight? Is it stiff in the morning? I would also forget about icing etc as this is really only effective in the first 48 hours after initial trauma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Starr and Rippetoe still recommend that you REST until you're in a suitable state to rehabilitate your injury:

If you jump straight into Starr's without any sort of rest all you're going to do is further damage and/or aggravate an existing injury (which the OP has already done) resulting in an even greater recovery time.
    Sorry, I was too quick to post and did misinterpret your advice. I agree.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.