Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    So you're recommending that someone with a knackered back goes straight into strengthening exercises!?!?!?!?!?
    No, some rest is required, then the Starr rehab protocol can be used. It's not a strengthening exercise; at least not in this application.

ReputationRep:
    Was making good progress with this program then I was sick the other night (Was dead lifting 40k for 15 reps without any injury pain) and the violent movements that often accompany being sick have screwed my back up again.

Looks like I'm back to square one.

A few guys on the athletics team at uni were saying that they have used the Vibro Gym at uni and its helped a lot with injuries by increasing flexibility etc. I know its useless for actually adding muscle mass but I know it is quite good for increasing flexibility and stuff so I might give that a bash when the majority of this pain has subsided and take a week or two out of starrs rehab.

ReputationRep:
    A back problem finished off weight lifting for me; I did something to my back in 2002 after I'd been lifting for a few years and I was out for 9 months until I couldn't not do it anymore but in that time the desire and determination left me and really hasn't returned since. Lifting would be the only thing I'd think about but alas, times change and I've got a lot more things to devote my time to nowadays although I'm forever toying with the idea of getting back into it, I've got all the kit in my garage, all set up and ready to go. Sorry to hijack but if anybody has a decent introduction routine to lifting I'd be all ears/eyes.

As for the back problem, I actually found doing very light deadlifts cured my problem rather than just rest, they do say the worst thing for a back problem is to lay down and rest on it and I found this out the hard way unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    best advice i can give you...

GO TO THE PHYSIO!

if you don't your wasting your time, i've had back problems trust me. fix it asap.

ReputationRep:
    Eventually saw a doctor and he referred me to a physio without me even asking!

The doctor said that my left lower back is in spasm or something and that's causing my back to twist (he could tell after about 2 secs of looking and touching that my back was twisted) and he thinks this is why it isn't getting better.

He gave me muscle relaxants to hopefully stop the spasms and I should get a letter soon from the physio.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.