Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A friend who constantly rings me. What do I do Watch

I have a friend who constantly rings me, about twice a week, we don't have much in common but its annoying me alot. I get so bored talking to her on the phone constantly. She doesn't even understand it whenever I try to explain it to her, she always get offended. What do I do, I have loads of other friends who I speak to very little but they never get offended.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Twice a week is constantly?? :confused: Why don't you just turn off your phone?

ReputationRep:
    Just don't answer? Some phones can block a certain number and send it straight to answer phone. Or encourage her to contact you over msn or similar where the conversation isn't so forced.

ReputationRep:
    If it's your mobile, just set up call diverting/forwarding/block incoming calls from her number.

Either that or save the number in your phone and just don't answer; say you were in the shower, left your phone upstairs while you were having dinner or something each time.

Twice a week isn't that much though... One of my mates calls me 3-4 times a week to ask for help fixing his computer lol

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend a bit like that... except she would ring me every day and talk so much on the phone that I'd put it down, go to make a drink and/or go to the loo, and when I'd come back she was still talking without even noticing I'd left.
    I solved the problem by refusing to answer her calls. Now she does it to someone else and they don't know how I got out of it. :P

I dont know about other people, but twice a week is alot for me

(Original post by Muffinsss)
    I had a friend a bit like that... except she would ring me every day and talk so much on the phone that I'd put it down, go to make a drink and/or go to the loo, and when I'd come back she was still talking without even noticing I'd left.
    I solved the problem by refusing to answer her calls. Now she does it to someone else and they don't know how I got out of it. :P
    I am the only one she rings which is annoying, because she thinks am Available all day so that I can talk to her. Shes just wasting my time because most of time we don't have a meaningful conversation

ReputationRep:
    Why not just talk for a couple of minutes then say you're very busy and must go...?

ReputationRep:
    ^ I'm normally a very considerate person and sensitive towards other people's feelings. It can feel mean to say things like that, as it sounds like you obviously don't want to talk to the person. But when you get desperate enough you'll probably stop caring about her feelings. It sounds really horrible but after a few weeks I just didn't want to answer the phone and I didn't care if it upset her.

ReputationRep:
    TBH twice a week just to catch up isn't excessive. Just keep the conversation brief. I keep in touch with my best friend and we call each other about 1-2 times a week. If you keep it brief she'll get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Twice a week? Count yourself lucky, I have a friend who calls at least once a day . I have tried dropping hints that I prefer text messages but no luck, she continues to call all the time. So yeah, twice a week isn't that bad lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol thats like normal for a good friend...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    One of my mates calls me 3-4 times a week to ask for help fixing his computer lol
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I used to speak to my 2 best mates in school everyday on the phone after school. Usually to share answers for our homework... The phone bill was mutual.

ReputationRep:
    I had this, one of my mates called me every day and when I didn't pick up he would turn up at my house, my mum would let him in and he'd wait in my living room till I came down ¬.¬ I've completely cut him off now and told my family to ignore him at the door. He's a really nice guy and I really got on with him but it was getting too much and he almost drove us into a ******* river because he wanted to do 70mph over a small hump back bridge, he tried it again and I told him to stop but he didn't and almost hit some pedestrians and then carried on and almost flipped the car about 10 times doing stupid speeds on stupid roads whilst describing to me how "so-and-so died on this corner" as he was doing the exact same thing . Never again.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you become "friends" in the first place? Does she not have many friends herself and is thus being more than a bit clingy?

ReputationRep:
    I used to have somebody like that who called me all the time. Especially near exam times. I just didn't pick up or got another friend to answer with a silly voice. Those were the days. But god I'm on the other side of the scale. Some of my friends (who I don't live near) are lucky if they get a call from me every month!

ReputationRep:
    i had a friend who would call my house phone 2-3 a day, AFTER school. each convo would last like an hour. :woo:

we don't talk anymore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.