Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my student finance assessment through, living away from home and my parents earn under £20,000 a year, I've been given £3564 as my loan, is this the maximum you can get?
    Do you have to pay this back or not?

ReputationRep:
    This is the maximum that you can get with your household income taken into consideration.

This is a loan, and yes, you must pay the lender back, but not until you finish university and earn a minimum amount of money.

ReputationRep:
    The max you get through maintenance loans / grants is about £4800. Im guessing you had a maintenance grant of £1100?
    My household income is above yours and thus I had a bigger Loan, but smaller grant. Thus I have to pay back more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EquinoXo9)
    The max you get through maintenance loans / grants is about £4800. Im guessing you had a maintenance grant of £1100?
    My household income is above yours and thus I had a bigger Loan, but smaller grant. Thus I have to pay back more.
    I'm really confused :confused:

Basic loan (non income assessed): £3564
    Plus loan subject to income assessment: £1386
    Less assessed contribution to living costs: £1386
    Max loan available: £3564
    Loan requested: £3564
    Loan to be paid: £3564

What does this all mean? Our income falls into the lowest category, so is this max?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    This is the maximum that you can get with your household income taken into consideration.

This is a loan, and yes, you must pay the lender back, but not until you finish university and earn a minimum amount of money.
    Is £3564 the most you can get if you fall under the lowest category, I can't find anywhere that helps me, I'm finding it all very confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juicyfruit)
    Is £3564 the most you can get if you fall under the lowest category, I can't find anywhere that helps me, I'm finding it all very confusing.
    Look further down the paper; do you have any grants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Look further down the paper; do you have any grants?
    No it doesn't say anything on my piece of paper about grants. I looked on my uni website and because I get under £25,00 I get £315, and then if I get the full grant, then it says I get a further £700. But nothing on my paper from student finance :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If the maintenace grant I have to pay back, when do I find out about money I don't have to pay back?

ReputationRep:
    I think they've mucked it up
    I don't seem to have a grant :|

ReputationRep:
    Student finance are really busy so there not income assessing all application sat the mintue and just sending out the notification for the uni fees and loan (the one you pay back).

There going to carrying on working on the rest of the application at a later date. Well so they told me. Give them a ring and see if its the same situation, i've heard its happened to a lot of people now.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I rang up and they are going to reassess everyone they said and this is only to show you have a loan right now and then in a few weeks the grants will come through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LissRules!!)
    Student finance are really busy so there not income assessing all application sat the mintue and just sending out the notification for the uni fees and loan (the one you pay back).

There going to carrying on working on the rest of the application at a later date. Well so they told me. Give them a ring and see if its the same situation, i've heard its happened to a lot of people now.

Hope this helps.
    Aha we did it at the same time!
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused :confused:

Basic loan (non income assessed): £3564
    Plus loan subject to income assessment: £1386
    Less assessed contribution to living costs: £1386
    Max loan available: £3564
    Loan requested: £3564
    Loan to be paid: £3564

What does this all mean? Our income falls into the lowest category, so is this max?
    TBH you should be getting more than that because your household income is less than £20,000. As someone said, they're having problems, so at the minute they are just giving out the basic loans. You should be getting loads more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    TBH you should be getting more than that because your household income is less than £20,000. As someone said, they're having problems, so at the minute they are just giving out the basic loans. You should be getting loads more
    Yeah I phoned them up and they said they were just giving the basic loans right now as too many people are applying and it's so busy. Thank goodness though, I could never afford uni otherwise :o:

ReputationRep:
    If the maintenace grant I have to pay back, when do I find out about money I don't have to pay back?
    You don't pay back grants. Loans are what you pay back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    You don't pay back grants. Loans are what you pay back.
    Thanks, I think I got the two mixed up :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.