Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done French in a year and I can't remember a thing. I'm going for 2 weeks in early 2010 to do some accountancy w/e at a firm in France, and I need to be able to communicate properly..

Can anyone post any links to help me? Starting off at a very basic level, and then maybe moving onto something more advanced.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.digitaldialects.com/French.htm

http://www.bonjour.com/

Those were some sites we used for GCSE French.
    Do you have any of your old french books? You could have a look in them to refresh yourself.

ReputationRep:
    you are, most likely, screwed.
    you could go on an applelanguages.com french course in france for a month or so. but that would cost a lot of money. is this w/e really worth it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Get your A-level stuff back and just reread it and do a few questions if you had élan or something similar. You'll soon get back into it.

The verb endings and grammar are fairly easy once you've reread them, it's the vocab that gets you!

Incidentally do you know that in French a werewolf is "un loup-garou", and a dandelion is "pissenlit" (as in, piss in bed!) How cool is that?

ReputationRep:
    lmao this is going to end badly. Get reading and listening

ReputationRep:
    Baise moi!

ReputationRep:
    Are they expecting you to be able to speak fluent French or something?

If so, this is a lesson in why you shouldn't lie on your cv :P

Anyway - for subject-specific terminology etc www.wordreference.com

ReputationRep:
    The above links/suggestions are good (mebbe not the one asking you to have your way with him :p: )
    However, I agreed with my host parent on a recent exchange that 'School French' =/= 'Real World French'. Basically, do all that stuff - perhaps glossing over some key accountancy shizzle - but over the 2 weeks be prepared to think on your feet :yep:

(I'm sure your French will be beastie after the placement. Though that's of no use to you then :awesome: )

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the constructive comments from some of you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Incidentally do you know that in French a werewolf is "un loup-garou", and a dandelion is "pissenlit" (as in, piss in bed!) How cool is that?
    Funnily, as I learnt on today's 'Weakest Link' (don't judge me, it's the holidays), dandelion comes from the French for 'tiger's tooth'! 'Ow funneh.

Oh, and in reference to the original post...what level are you hoping to get up to?! :confused: Because frankly, if you can't 'remember a thing', I don't see how you could possibly work up to a level of proficiency that would be good enough for that sort of environment! Hell, I'm doing a degree in French, and even I'd be bricking it if I went to work in an accountant's office there, even with eight years of French study behind me!

Good luck though!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    Funnily, as I learnt on today's 'Weakest Link' (don't judge me, it's the holidays), dandelion comes from the French for 'tiger's tooth'! 'Ow funneh.
    *judges you*

I can see how "dent du tigre" has similar pronunciation. Wouldn't "dent du lion" make more sense though?

Wait, why are we even naming our flora after TEETH?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and in reference to the original post...what level are you hoping to get up to?! :confused: Because frankly, if you can't 'remember a thing', I don't see how you could possibly work up to a level of proficiency that would be good enough for that sort of environment! Hell, I'm doing a degree in French, and even I'd be bricking it if I went to work in an accountant's office there, even with eight years of French study behind me!

Good luck though!
    They don't expect me to speak fluently.. I'm sure there will be one or two at this firm who can speak good English. When I say I can't remember anything, I mean like 'where are the toilets?', 'do you speak English?' and other basic stuff I'll probably need. Probably A-level standard will suffice, certainly not degree level though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    *judges you*

I can see how "dent du tigre" has similar pronunciation. Wouldn't "dent du lion" make more sense though?

Wait, why are we even naming our flora after TEETH?
    Yes, my mistake! I meant to write lion, but wrote tiger for some reason! :redface:

And Weakest Link is amazing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    They don't expect me to speak fluently.. I'm sure there will be one or two at this firm who can speak good English. When I say I can't remember anything, I mean like 'where are the toilets?', 'do you speak English?' and other basic stuff I'll probably need. Probably A-level standard will suffice, certainly not degree level though.
    A level standard?! For A level French, I had to write an analysis of French literature in French! It's a bit more than being able to ask where the toilets are!!
    How proficient did you ever get in French? GCSE? A level? It sounds to me like you just need to brush up on some basic phrases. In which case, get a phrase book from your library - and start learning them the old-fashioned way!

ReputationRep:
    A level standard?! For A level French, I had to write an analysis of French literature in French! It's a bit more than being able to ask where the toilets are!!
    How proficient did you ever get in French? GCSE? A level? It sounds to me like you just need to brush up on some basic phrases. In which case, get a phrase book from your library - and start learning them the old-fashioned way!
    Ha maybe not then. Probably GCSE standard will do :rolleyes:

I got an A at GCSE, but that was due to good writing skills, I sucked at speaking. I think your right there though - I'll have a look for a phrase book. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.