Turn on thread page Beta

Are a large proportion of Americans nationalistic? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this statement?
    Yes
    85.71%
    No
    14.29%

ReputationRep:
    Nationalism:

"The doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other. Excessive patriotism."

I'm not saying all Americans, just a significant proportion, perhaps even a majority.

Some symptoms of this condition, obviously there are varying degrees:

- Viewing America as superior in almost every aspect.
    - Considering other countries inferior, when compared with America.
    - Often belittling such countries considered inferior.
    - Somewhat xenophobic, mainly targeted at cultures which are contrasting to America's culture.
    - Unable to concede American failure, and jumping to defend the country at every opportunity with baseless claims like 'we won' or 'we were right', without considering historical/factual evidence.
    - Incapable of accepting America could be defeated in war, somehow.

The list goes on.

Is such excessive pride and patriotism warranted?

Is this actually something Britons could learn from? Should we take pride in our country to the point where it is nationalistic? Does this ideology improve community cohesion?

Or is this a weakness? Does such nationalism decrease America's popularity in the world, thus reducing their number of allies?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the sense of nationalism which some Americans have, you know, teary eyed when they say the Pledge of Allegience every morning, or believing that their government is always right and that their needs are greater than other people's needs.

I'm sure this is just a minority of Yanks, but I don't like it, and I definitely don't think we need it over here. I think the British have got an excellent sense of national pride but we don't need to broadcast it 24/7 to remind everyone of it

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the area of the country and the individual, on what issues.

I found Americans to be fairly balanced and level-headed where I lived - but that said, I was in a fairly liberal area. A lot of Americans are fairly ignorant on matters of foreign policy and other countries.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my family lives in smaller towns (I live in a big city), and have similar views to what you described.

They're not entirely happy with the government in the last few years, but they do have a superiority sense. I love my family, and I don't want to be the negative person, but it does get annoying.

I do think you should have nationalism, but everything requires a balance.

I am an American, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a large proportion of Amercians so I couldn't tell you.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Some British guy on me bugs my TSR American mate because he thinks UK could beat the US in war!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American from Texas and have lived in London for the past 8ish years.

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    No.

Some British guy on me bugs my TSR American mate because he thinks UK could beat the US in war!
    What's he doing on you? :confused:

But, yeah - that's insane. Has he never seen a world map?

ReputationRep:
    I think patriotism is good, but not to the point of arrogance and somewhat racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Depends on the area of the country and the individual, on what issues.

I found Americans to be fairly balanced and level-headed where I lived - but that said, I was in a fairly liberal area. A lot of Americans are fairly ignorant on matters of foreign policy and other countries.
    Its still the greatest country ever though. :woo:

I can't wait until I leave this ********, and I really don't mind spending time with people who'll ask me "in which state Scotland is in?"

ReputationRep:
    General Isation speaking here:
    I think they as a nation are quite inward looking. But I think the sheer size and diversity (both socio-culturally and geographically) of the place somewhat warrants it. I don't think we on this tiny island can quite comprehend it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Blah
    Durham Tees Valley Airport

Where the **** is the valley?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatcher)
    Durham Tees Valley Airport

Where the **** is the valley?
    Technically we're all in a big bowl. But technically the name is ****. None of this PC spin doctor crap - Teesside Airport ftw :yep:
    I never wanted the name change in the first place - I still call it Teesside on principal :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Technically we're all in a big bowl. But technically the name is ****. None of this PC spin doctor crap - Teesside Airport ftw :yep:
    I never wanted the name change in the first place - I still call it Teesside on principal :woo:
    Yeah, same, the signs didn't even change. I don't think i'll ever forget those adverts:

"Durham Tees Valley Airport"

"See, its simple"

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Americans are nationalistic, yeah. But at the same time, I swear to God, the minute an American says anything in favour of their country on here they get branded nationalistic.

On TSR, Americans aren't allowed to like their country anymore O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staralfur9)
    A lot of Americans are nationalistic, yeah. But at the same time, I swear to God, the minute an American says anything in favour of their country on here they get branded nationalistic.

I disagree, it only seems to be a couple of people who constantly adhere to many of my American nationalistic specifications (as listed above) who are branded as nationalistic. I think it's important to recognise a user's previous posts, and how some Americans on here feel the need to vehemently defend their country, and prove how superior it is whenever the USA is brought up.

Saying that, I do respect their sense of pride. It's a shame how that often evolves into an unwarranted sense of arrogance and the belittling of other countries.

Based on your definition most people are nationalistic.

Who would seriously suggest that his country should lose out for the benefit of another?

I yearn for the day people think of each other based on our beliefs, not on our birthplace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staralfur9)

I have seen that from time to time, but not too often, and only people who are extremely vocal are not people whose opinions I'd want to take seriously.

Then, you'll see some Americans agreeing the US sucks through and through...I wonder if they respond that way so they'll "fit in". :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    What's he doing on you? :confused:

But, yeah - that's insane. Has he never seen a world map?
    Sorry lolm I was typing that early in the morning

So nothing...

ReputationRep:
    no, at least not where i am from. Granted i am from Boston which is a liberal haven, but nonetheless i haven't really seen the nationalist feelings from anyone except for myself. Do i think the US is invincible and has done no wrong, hell no, but i still am grateful to have been born here.

With that said, its not surprising that Americans on this bored are branded nationalistic when posts asking "who would win in a ground war between the USA and the UK". Its pretty apparent who would in that war, and if i were to say the UK would be slaughtered i am branded nationalistic.
    Not to mention, all of the people on here who blame America for everything that Bush did even though this is called Thestudentroom, meaning you are either in college or going into college (so you couldn't have voted in the 2000 or 2004 elections anyway!). Obviously i am going to be offended if someone says "all Americans love Bush and should shoot themselves" or something to that extent.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.