Turn on thread page Beta

Are a large proportion of Americans nationalistic? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this statement?
    Yes
    85.71%
    No
    14.29%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Who would seriously suggest that his country should lose out for the benefit of another?
    Any person thinking with an ounce of rationality.

If we subscribe to the view that the primary motive of the Iraq War was to gain oil, this is a case of one country not losing out for the benefit of another, but causing death and destruction in the process. This logic can also be applied to the destruction of rainforests for the consumers of your country, and anything from going to war for purely your own benefit to destroying nature or a group of people for commercial reasons which will benefit your country. Thus the country or group of people in question lose out, while your country benefits.

You think that's acceptable?

(Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Any person thinking with an ounce of rationality.

If we subscribe to the view that the primary motive of the Iraq War was to gain oil, this is a case of one country not losing out for the benefit of another, but causing death and destruction in the process. This logic can also be applied to the destruction of rainforests for the consumers of your country, and anything from going to war for purely your own benefit to destroying nature or a group of people for commercial reasons which will benefit your country. Thus the country or group of people in question lose out, while your country benefits.

You think that's acceptable?
    Perhaps, but you'll find that such persons are few and far between. And even so, national interest almost always takes precent Realpolitik is not the movie where the good guy wins unfortunately.

And no, i do not find it acceptable. I am (as you can probably guess from my flag) a strong detractor of neo imperialist foreign policy :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, not at all. Their is widespread hatred for the government and its institutions in the US. The nation is seen to be a completely separate entity from the nation's institutions. Europeans who are nationalistic love their history, culture, political and economical systems, the government's institutions, everything. For Americans it's much more complicated because we hate our government so much.

Also, because we are a nation of immigrants, there is no "American race" that can claim superiority over others.

I would say we are patriotic, but not at all nationalistic.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.