Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do guys choose beautiful ladies ?
    Why beauty ?
    What difference does it make whether the girl you want to be with is beatiful or not ( that if you want her for other reasons than showing off infront of a bunch of friends ...)

ReputationRep:
    because the media prioritises it, and its more pleasing to llook at at a beautiful person. to be honest, girls have make up to severely enhance their looks, so we go for the ones that look the best.
    Lastly, would you want to sleep with a ogre or a stripper?

ReputationRep:
    cos we have eyes

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's easier to be attracted to them.

ReputationRep:
    ha define beauty.

But yes, pleasing on the eye i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it pretty obvious why we choose beauty...

ReputationRep:
    i heard once that a very good looking face is usually symmetrical =S

ReputationRep:
    Tall, thin, 'toned' and with long hair.

As for why, I take it your boyfriend is some 30 stone lard-ass then? Simple enough, a relationship is based around 2 people being attracted to each other, if you find someone repulsively ugly you cant possibly be attracted to them.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty walks a razor's edge someday i'll make it mine.

-Bob Dylan

ReputationRep:
    It's natural for boys to go straight to the beautiful girls. But when one comes across a not so good looking girl I don't tend to be put off , I just get to know them , and most of the time they have nice personalities , which counter-acts their not so good-lookingness.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !.

I'd rather be with someone who is loving and caring , than someone who just looks good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    It's natural for boys to go straight to the beautiful girls. But when one comes across a not so good looking girl I don't tend to be put off , I just get to know them , and most of the time they have nice personalities , which counter-acts their not so good-lookingness.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !.

I'd rather be with someone who is loving and caring , than someone who just looks good.
    Yeah but I think that's what she means. If you're willing to give less good looking girls a chance, once they've ''made up for their ugliness", then why don't you approach them in the first place to see what they are like, rather than just going for the amazingly beautiful girls, who for some reason always seem to turn out to be nasty or a bit thick anyway. (Sorry if that sounds horrible, just in my experience beautiful girls with amazing nice personalities seem to be few and far between!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Yeah but I think that's what she means. If you're willing to give less good looking girls a chance, once they've ''made up for their ugliness", then why don't you approach them in the first place to see what they are like, rather than just going for the amazingly beautiful girls, who for some reason always seem to turn out to be nasty or a bit thick anyway. (Sorry if that sounds horrible, just in my experience beautiful girls with amazing nice personalities seem to be few and far between!)
    Yes this is true lucinda ( Nice name ) , but it's just natural to automatically look at the more good looking girls. This is my problem though , I'm an ugly person , and when I try to hit on good looking girls I always fail , I should just look for the more less good-looking girls and see how it goes.

Be honest. If you saw a hawt boy , and then a really ugly boy , who are you more likely to be impressed by and approach :p:

Nice profile picture btw .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    Yes this is true lucinda ( Nice name ) , but it's just natural to automatically look at the more good looking girls. This is my problem though , I'm an ugly person , and when I try to hit on good looking girls I always fail , I should just look for the more less good-looking girls and see how it goes.

Be honest. If you saw a hawt boy , and then a really ugly boy , who are you more likely to be impressed by and approach :p:

Nice profile picture btw .
    Honestly? The less good looking boy. That's because I'm not good looking enough to approach the hot guy though, haha. Hot guys and hot girls should go together, yet it seems whilst average girls don't bother with hot guys, average guys still want the hot girls. Meaning us average girls don't get a look in anymore!

I wouldn't trust a guy who was too good looking. Maybe that's an unfair stereotype, but it puts me off straight away. Personality is ultimately the most important thing to me, it makes someone more attractive than looks ever will.

And thank you. I'm sure you're not ugly either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Honestly? The less good looking boy. That's because I'm not good looking enough to approach the hot guy though, haha. Hot guys and hot girls should go together, yet it seems whilst average girls don't bother with hot guys, average guys still want the hot girls. Meaning us average girls don't get a look in anymore!

I wouldn't trust a guy who was too good looking. Maybe that's an unfair stereotype, but it puts me off straight away. Personality is ultimately the most important thing to me, it makes someone more attractive than looks ever will.

And thank you. I'm sure you're not ugly either!
    I already can tell you have an awesome personality . Most girls tend to go for the most obvious choice of the best looking boy. You're right , good looking boys + girls should go together. I wouldn't say ou're not good looking enough to approach a good looking boy , you're profile picture tells a complete different story :0. And I'm ugly , trust me. Check my pic if you don't believe me , I don't lie either .

ReputationRep:
    Honestly no, it DOESN'T matter how they look, but it's obviously always preferable to be with a good looking person than a not-so-good looking person, everything else being equal. BUT guys are just proven to be more sexually minded and more inherently shallow so yes, we naturally feel, through something non-conscious, that looks are important to a certain extent. Obviously some guys are more shallow than others, for example some guys will go out with a girl purely because of how she looks, not caring about anything else about her, whilst some guys will push looks to the bottom of the pile, but you can still bet that the latter set of guys will have a similar view on looks to the first set - it won't be as strong, or if it is then they'll suppress it, but they'll still, upon first glance, go for a girl who looks beautiful over a girl who looks deep (assuming these are separated).

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be asking this but, it's not really our fault as it's just an inherent thing within us all, just like girls generally preferring personality over looks, especially wanting a guy who can make her laugh. Some of us make an effort to suppress this, but unfortunately those guys never seem to be the ones who you know. "Nice guys finish last"....ring any bells?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Why do guys choose beautiful ladies ?
    Why beauty ?
    What difference does it make whether the girl you want to be with is beatiful or not ( that if you want her for other reasons than showing off infront of a bunch of friends ...)
    Well, it's nature, you can't go out with someone who you're not physically attracted too, just not in our nature

Beauty is subjective remember

ReputationRep:
    Because if there in no physical attraction it is just a friendship, and the majority of people tend to find conventionally beautiful people the most attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty sparks the initial attraction . Plus I want beautiful kids. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Because we live in a socially constructed society. In some cultures, fat people are considered beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    It works both ways. I'm sure girls would more likely go out with a good looking guy than not good looking

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.