Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azurus)
    Beauty walks a razor's edge someday i'll make it mine.

-Bob Dylan
    What does it mean ??

ReputationRep:
    I wish I wasn't so damn shallow. My standards are so ridiculously high, even though I'm no Brad Pitt. I just end up screwing myself because I end up fancying girls I could never be with.

It's human nature though, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    read socrates definition of love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    Because if you are attractive your offspring are likely to also be attractive and have higher reproductive success too ... thus heightening the chance of passing on his genes for many generations

Beauty is a rarity, it is therefore cherished and valued more than an average-looking person. Even having attractive friends indicates that you have higher status, as it indicates to outsiders that you can 'afford' these friends (through good personality or other attractive traits). Sad but true.

IT'S THE BEST ANSWER I'VE GOT EVER SINCE I STARTED MY SEARCH ON "WHY BEAUTY" ... it's a very smart answer !!
    Many thanks for the help !

ReputationRep:
    I haven't actually met too many girls that I would call "beautiful". Good-looking, yes. I guess it is just that if somebody is amazingly beautiful guys are going to be attracted to them and girls are going to envy them. It's just the way it is. Also not all hot people end up being thick/*****y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Honestly no, it DOESN'T matter how they look, but it's obviously always preferable to be with a good looking person than a not-so-good looking person, everything else being equal. BUT guys are just proven to be more sexually minded and more inherently shallow so yes, we naturally feel, through something non-conscious, that looks are important to a certain extent. Obviously some guys are more shallow than others, for example some guys will go out with a girl purely because of how she looks, not caring about anything else about her, whilst some guys will push looks to the bottom of the pile, but you can still bet that the latter set of guys will have a similar view on looks to the first set - it won't be as strong, or if it is then they'll suppress it, but they'll still, upon first glance, go for a girl who looks beautiful over a girl who looks deep (assuming these are separated).

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be asking this but, it's not really our fault as it's just an inherent thing within us all, just like girls generally preferring personality over looks, especially wanting a guy who can make her laugh. Some of us make an effort to suppress this, but unfortunately those guys never seem to be the ones who you know. "Nice guys finish last"....ring any bells?
    Yea!! i guess that's so true .. great answer !! i loved what you wrote
    But there's one thing i'm not sure i fully comprehend .What did you mean by "more inherently shallow " ??
    Thanks for the help !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Yea!! i guess that's so true .. great answer !! i loved what you wrote
    But there's one thing i'm not sure i fully comprehend .What did you mean by "more inherently shallow " ??
    Thanks for the help !
    Thanks
    Basically by "more inherently shallow" I meant that boys / men are born generically caring more about looks than girls / women are, and so it will enter into their decisions more from the start - taking looks into account more is just naturally occurring in men. In short, it's nature rather than nurture.

ReputationRep:
    I think most guys, but ESPECIALLY GIRLS, don't even think about themselves they think would the girls approve of this guy if i was to date him and would they be jealous and say how cute we are together etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Why do guys choose beautiful ladies ?
    Why beauty ?
    What difference does it make whether the girl you want to be with is beatiful or not ( that if you want her for other reasons than showing off infront of a bunch of friends ...)
    That's a good question. Why?

ReputationRep:
    We are all beautiful in some way or other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Because women are only good for sex, and why would you want to have sex with ugly *****es?
    your mother is a women, don't you have any respect for women at all? I mean if even a little, ha not surprised your warning level is so high..

ReputationRep:
    Because if they choose to marry her they don't want to wake up to a horror movie every morning?

Everyone has their own perception of beauty. A person considered ugly by one person could be considered beautiful by another

ReputationRep:
    not only men do so ,women prefer handsome men as well! its just human nature to be attracted to beauty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    Because if they choose to marry her they don't want to wake up to a horror movie every morning?

hahaha... but they wldnt like living in hell if they married a beautiful yet shallow woman :P

Everyone has their own perception of beauty. A person considered ugly by one person could be considered beautiful by another
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I feel like going out clubbing or whatever with no makeup, scruffy clothes and messy hair just to see how differently guys treat me as opposed to dressing how I usually do.

Don't think I'll ever do it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Yep.
    I see you added an extra bit in to the quote yourself. lol

ReputationRep:
    Beauty in the animal world - Health. So if you have a symmetrical face and healthy skin and shiny eyes you look healthy. Which means the male sees you as a potential mother. Even though he doesn't know.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is only one of the considerations that we take into consideration.

Obviously there's not so attractive girls who have a great personality, but there's also very attractive girls with great personalities, if a guy was to pick between them, then he'd pick the beautiful one everytime because she has something that the unattractive one doesn't have. It makes quite a lot of sene and is purely logical tbh...

Besides, it's not like beauty just comes out of nowhere, you do have to put in some effort and take care of yourself if you want to look attractive. Beauty costs lots of money, time and requires lots of discipline. If a girl is attractive, I automatically assume that she puts some effort into it and that is already a good characteristic imo. When I see an unattractive girl, I automatically write her off as anything more than friends because I don't believe she takes proper care of herself and I don't think she has enough self-control in her life to make any type of romantic approach necessary.

Any girl can look good if she eats right, does exercise, dresses nice and removes their facial flaws with make up... pretty simple formula, just requires time, money and dedication.

ReputationRep:
    I see you added an extra bit in to the quote yourself. lol
    hahaha!! sorry !! jus saw it :p:

P.S: I agree with

"Everyone has their own perception of beauty. A person considered ugly by one person could be considered beautiful by another "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fixed04)
    Beauty is only one of the considerations that we take into consideration.

Obviously there's not so attractive girls who have a great personality, but there's also very attractive girls with great personalities, if a guy was to pick between them, then he'd pick the beautiful one everytime because she has something that the unattractive one doesn't have. It makes quite a lot of sene and is purely logical tbh...

Besides, it's not like beauty just comes out of nowhere, you do have to put in some effort and take care of yourself if you want to look attractive. Beauty costs lots of money, time and requires lots of discipline. If a girl is attractive, I automatically assume that she puts some effort into it and that is already a good characteristic imo. When I see an unattractive girl, I automatically write her off as anything more than friends because I don't believe she takes proper care of herself and I don't think she has enough self-control in her life to make any type of romantic approach necessary.

Any girl can look good if she eats right, does exercise, dresses nice and removes their facial flaws with make up... pretty simple formula, just requires time, money and dedication.
    What about natural beauty ?
    Like some people got beautiful eyes or attractive smiles ... they actually do nothing about their looks but still look attractive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.