Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

i feel i'm in too deep

basically, i'm not a people person AT ALL and feel the more i try to overcome this and mix/be sociable, the worse i feel and the more sure and determined i am that i don't mix well with other humans

however, i know i must deal with this and get used to being around and with people to survive i guess, even though i find it soooo difficult and quite frankley, painful

so, i'm doing voluntary work at a day centre for people with learning disabilities, riding for the disabled and, to top things off, have got myself a job as a care worker at a residential home for the elderly.

i now feel extreemly stupid in what i've got myself into as i feel completely out of my comfort zone and control (nothing new there). i'm also awear that i can't back out of this job as i've only just started and don't want to have gone through all the checks and training for nothing, thus wasting their time

my voluntary work isn't too bad as it's a once-a-week-for-a-few-hours arrangement; it's more this job i'm worried about: shall i give it more time as i haven't been working there long?

sorry to rant on, it's strange how much easier it is to write to strangers than speak to people you know

ReputationRep:
    yes - give it time. I know you feel out of your comfort zone but remember that this willbe a good personal challenge for you, and things like this do get better with practice. Imagine how good you will feel if you manage to overcome this. Think of this as an opportunity to change your life and your social skills. You can't run away from everything in life - there are some things you just have to face head on, and this is one of them I hope it goes well. x

ReputationRep:
    Disappointing thread..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants)
    Disappointing thread..
    Exactly what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Disappointing thread..
    Take it I'm not the only one who took a completely different meaning from "too deep"?

On topic: just give it a go. There's no point giving it up before you've even started, heck you might surprise yourself and end up enjoying it.

ReputationRep:
    Disappointing thread..
    lol

keep at it OP

ReputationRep:
    Yes, give it more time. I volunteer at a hospital; at the beginning I was never too comfortable seeing 'sick' individuals all the time, looking at me with discouraging eyes and feeling completely helpless. But you learn to deal with it and eventually, you'll realise they're just human beings and will be able to empathise, communicate and have fun with them.

ReputationRep:
    If you left this job what would you do? Get another job? That's a long way from easy at the moment. Or sit at home all day dwelling on your own anxieties? How is that going to make things better? Stick at your job, you might find yourself enjoying it. If you still find you're very anxious in social situations consult your GP, they may be able to help in a whole range of ways.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.