Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I made this thread a while ago about how I need another AS for the course I want to do at uni.

It's getting round to the time where I need to apply for it, and I don't know what to do. I just got off the phone to some stuck up woman from admissions at Park Lane, who told me I can apply for which ever course I want but that they don't offer a fast track to a full A level in one year because 'it's too much work for anyone.' She was a bit stropy about whether my schedules would clash at the college where I am currently, I only have 4 lessons a week for my remaining A2's there, and I'm pretty sure there are going to be evening classes running in my Business Studies class, so that potential issue might be solvable.

Anyway, my problem is what to do. Depending on my A2 and AS results in August, I'm quietly confident I might be able to talk my way into a place in the History class, and if I've got the A's I was predicted and proven I can deal with the work load, I might be able to talk myself into a fast track place. It's been done several times before at my college. The only thing that's letting me down currently is a less than desirable attendance record.

Which do you think would be better? An AS in Geography or and AS (possibly an A2) in History?

There's also the option of doing English Literature instead of Geography at Park Lane. I'm wanting to do C800 Psychology at uni, and I'll have A Levels in Psychology, Sociology and Business Studies, if that helps :p:

Any input from you lovely, lovely people would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    History sounds better for the course you want to do, and an A-level (possibly) would look good . The English would also be really relative (probably best). But Geography is a bit unrelated. I would say History/English lit would be best - I
    sure onyl an AS in either would be fine too

ReputationRep:
    History as it is highly regarded and would look very desirable in relation to your other subjects. English Literature would improve your essay skills, so any of the subjects I have mentioned would be very good to opt for

ReputationRep:
    No way can you do AS/A2 in one year for history. I mean it, no bloody way.
    It's horrendous and the coursework takes months.
    Literally months. Don't do it.

I did Geog and Hist AS, and the marking scheme for History is whack. Geography is far easier, and easier to get the grade you deserve. I'd do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Geography is far easier, and easier to get the grade you deserve.
    This. It can be a little tedious though.

ReputationRep:
    Both Geography and History are well respected subjects, obviously the difficulty will depend on you're strengths, although both subjects are different in terms on content they are similar in the fact that you need to retain loads and loads and loads of facts, write essays and come to a tenative conclusion. It depends where you're interests lye, if you are more intrested in History then you will find History easier and if you are more interested in Geog then you will find that easier.

I have taken A Level Geography (awaiting results) and many people in my Geography class, no actually everyone excluding me in my Geog class takes History at A Level. Some of which prefer Geography whilst others prefer History. Those in my Geography class who are more into Sciences prefer Geography to History as 50% is based on physical geography (science) whilst those who like History are good at the Human Geography (Social---like History) but don't like the Physical.

Its impossible fo us to say which is easier as it depends on where you're interests lye. However personally I would say Geography is very easy to get a A or B in within a year, you will have to learn loads of case studies (although I found it was less in A2) and the facts you need to leaen can be learnt in bite size chuncks where as History involves loads of reading!

Both arevery good subjects, Geography I feel is a little easier, but go with what you feel more comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    My friends who do Geog & Hist say Geog is easier. Personally I enjoyed History but it was damn hard. Fast track in a year sounds impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Eugh, I don't know what to do! :cry:

I'd say essay writing is one of my strengths, psychology and sociology both have/had a hell of a lot of writing. I think I'm leaning towards geography, if most of you have found it easier than history. I really need an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Eugh, I don't know what to do! :cry:

I'd say essay writing is one of my strengths, psychology and sociology both have/had a hell of a lot of writing. I think I'm leaning towards geography, if most of you have found it easier than history. I really need an A.
    Yeah, I'd say go with Geography. In A2 Geography there will be essays! The thing with Geography is you can blab you're way through with some common sense, I mean with History you must know the facts, same with Geog but the issues you'll study are topical and are issues seen in the news e.g economics, global warming, sustainability etc so its all around you where as tudor hitsory for example isn't.

Good luck with you're choice - I loved A Level Geography and am going to do a BSc in it in September, I did Psychology also and I can say that Geography is a walk in the park next to Psycho!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you've been really helpful. I'm applying for psychology at uni in 2010 so I'll only be doing it at AS :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Thanks, you've been really helpful. I'm applying for psychology at uni in 2010 so I'll only be doing it at AS :sadnod:
    why are you only doing AS Psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London271)
    why are you only doing AS Psychology?
    No sorry, I meant I'll only be doing geography AS, when you were talking about lots of essays at A2? I've already finished my psychology A2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.