The Student Room Group

Are you penalised by universities for November retakes?

I received some slightly worrying news from my IBC yesterday, who said that even if you retake just the one subject this November your entire diploma reads 'November 2009'. Hence it is very obvious that you retook.

I missed my offer by 1 point (so frustrating) and I'm still waiting to hear whether or not my university will accept me. In the meantime, I've applied to do retakes in November for two of my subjects (History and Maths).

So what I wanted to know was whether when I apply for universities next year, if I don't get accepted for 2009 entry, will I be penalised by the universities for having retaken? I know retakes are a no-go area for medicine, but I'm not applying for medicine. Do, for example, the top 20 universities prefer not to have retake candidates?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm in limbo right now and it's rubbish.
I really doubt uni's will penalise you for that ... If you do retake, just make the most of the year after that and think of doing something within the course you want to study or get experience from travelling or working... from what I've heard taking a gap year can actually help you with getting into uni's :smile:
Reply 2
Some uni's don't accept retake applciants and some do, for instance Manchester Uni don't accept resit candidates but Bradford uni does, you need to check with them individually =

Latest

Trending

Trending