Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I just have some questions about my new bunny which hopefully more experience rabbit owners can answer...

1) I've been letting her loose in the house for a hop about but she keeps eating things! She has been munching on the carpet (which I try and stop-but she just does it again a few seconds later!) and on paper (she ate bits of a letter that was on the floor)- is this likely to cause her damage? I mean, I know it cannot be good for her but is she going to die?!
    2) Is it OK to let her hop around the house without supervision? I'm scared to leave her alone in case she hurts herself
    3)I have been feeding her rabbit pellets and carrots- what other foods are good to introduce for her to have a more varied diet? I've heard they like apples?
    4) She keeps licking my feet!! Is this normal/OK??
    5) I think she has snuffles- she's sneezing a little bit, but otherwise she seems happy- vet or no?

thanks for your help,

Very Paranoid Pet Owner.

ReputationRep:
    1) They do that, it's normal - just try not to let her eat too much of it, she won't die but she may get diarrhea.
    2) I usually don't leave them too long, 10-20 mins is alright but make sure you have 'bunny proofed' the rooms she is in i.e. no access to wires, nothing can fall on her etc.
    3) I usually give my rabbit things like green beans, a slice of white bread, carrots, cucumber, the leaves from celery, and maybe a bit of banana as a treat.
    4) They usually lick your feet as a way of cleaning them, it basically means they want you to do it back - so just stroke her for a bit.
    5) They sneeze if they get things up their nose, just like humans, but if she is having a few violent sneezing fits a day then take her to the hospital as it isn't uncommon they get colds.

ReputationRep:
    Extra things to feed them;
    • Cauliflower leaves
    • Broccoli
    • Sugar beet
    • Sunflower seeds

ReputationRep:
    Be careful what he eats And keep an eye out for any hanging, visible wires for obvious reasons!

We had a rabbit called Smirnoff which my Grandad kept, he loved him to pieces. He was unlike any rabbit we'd ever had before! Absolutely gorgeous He'd happily hop about the house and he was even housetrained He'd spend a lot of time in the garden (he could use the catflap!) but he never once left the fence. He'd been free like that for about a year but unfortunately he ate some foxglove which sadly killed him. It's unlikely that you'll have that in your house though but keep an eye on her.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds absolutely fine, totally normal.

Rabbits love to chew so make sure he has plenty to munch on, to try and dissuade him from eating your home.

ReputationRep:
    Awwwwww! :emog:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't leave her inside unattended, rabbits gnaw through everything. Even if you've moved anything which could hurt her (like electric wires) she'll still do damage to the house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    Hi all,

I just have some questions about my new bunny which hopefully more experience rabbit owners can answer...

1) I've been letting her loose in the house for a hop about but she keeps eating things! She has been munching on the carpet (which I try and stop-but she just does it again a few seconds later!) and on paper (she ate bits of a letter that was on the floor)- is this likely to cause her damage? I mean, I know it cannot be good for her but is she going to die?!
    2) Is it OK to let her hop around the house without supervision? I'm scared to leave her alone in case she hurts herself
    3)I have been feeding her rabbit pellets and carrots- what other foods are good to introduce for her to have a more varied diet? I've heard they like apples?
    4) She keeps licking my feet!! Is this normal/OK??
    5) I think she has snuffles- she's sneezing a little bit, but otherwise she seems happy- vet or no?

thanks for your help,

Very Paranoid Pet Owner.
    1) No
    2) No
    3) No
    4) No
    5) See all of the above

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.