Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've just recently decided that I want to aim for investment banking. However, I don't know what role would suit me best?

Details are in my profile. I regret not choosing maths at A-level, so is ther any way I can getting into investment banking?

I know this sounds a bit muddled, but I'd be grateful if anybody could give advice. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Difficult question as it really does depend on more than just your academic background - where do your interests lie? What sort of soft skills do you have? With no maths A level and a non analytical degree, I'd say that you can probably rule out: Trading, Research (to an extent) and Structuring.

Having said this, Warwick is very well represented in the city and is highly regarded by most of the bulge bracket banks. You might have some luck trying out for Sales and IBD, though in this climate those are two of the hardest hit divisions.

Check out the 'Intro to Investment Banking Thread' for more information about the roles etc, it'll help you make a more informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    Sales, Investment Banking Division (IBD), Private Wealth Management (PWM), some roles in Asset Management (AM).
    You've even got the black thing going on. Sky's the limit bro.
    thanks man. Honestly, I literally just decided this morning it's what I wanted to do, otherwise i would have been doing loads of things to prepare for it such as the Windsor Fellowship 'I have a dream' programme. However, I have been thinking about it for some time, but i thought i was never capable as I was under the impression maths was highly desirable. The person who inspired me the most though was that Brown Bateman guy who died, truely inspirational.

But does the black thing make a difference or something? I was planning on brushing up on my maths. But I'll definitely looking up into your suggestions. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    Brushing up on your maths will be a waste of time as with your background, you're unlikely to be giving a role in anything that requires more than basic numerical ability.

Being an ethnic minority opens more doors these days. Diversity baby.
    Charity baby.

OP, you'll obviously have to rule out anything quantitative, have a look at IBD, highly competitive though obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    thanks man. Honestly, I literally just decided this morning it's what I wanted to do, otherwise i would have been doing loads of things to prepare for it such as the Windsor Fellowship 'I have a dream' programme. The person who inspired me the most though was that Brown Bateman guy who died, truely inspirational.

But does the black thing make a difference or something? I was planning on brushing up on my maths. But I'll definitely looking up into your suggestions. :yep:
    Brown Bateman is that guy you're talking to, he's alive and kicking judging by his posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Difficult question as it really does depend on more than just your academic background - where do your interests lie? What sort of soft skills do you have? With no maths A level and a non analytical degree, I'd say that you can probably rule out: Trading, Research (to an extent) and Structuring.

Having said this, Warwick is very well represented in the city and is highly regarded by most of the bulge bracket banks. You might have some luck trying out for Sales and IBD, though in this climate those are two of the hardest hit divisions.

Check out the 'Intro to Investment Banking Thread' for more information about the roles etc, it'll help you make a more informed decision.
    Thanks. IBD looks quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    Brown Bateman is that guy you're talking to, he's alive and kicking judging by his posts.
    sorry Brown Patrick Bateman :o:

ReputationRep:
    sorry Brown Patrick Bateman :o:
    Btw, you're probably aware but if you're not have at look at 'TARGETchances', I've been to a few of their corporate law and investment banking events, something for the C.V for the early days and of course a little insight.

http://www.targetchances.co.uk/home/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    Btw, you're probably aware but if you're not have at look at 'TARGETchances', I've been to a few of their corporate law and investment banking events, something for the C.V for the early days and of course a little insight.

http://www.targetchances.co.uk/home/
    they seem to have no forthcoming events. My CV is bare at the moment. I've only had work experience in year 10 and that's it :o:

ReputationRep:
    they seem to have no forthcoming events. My CV is bare at the moment. I've only had work experience in year 10 and that's it :o:
    The events are normally around June, so make sure you apply for next year, I think it's for first year students only and some events are second year.

What stage are you at now? You're starting uni in Sept?

ReputationRep:
    ok whoever negged me for my first post is a loser. The least you could do is leave your name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    The events are normally around June, so make sure you apply for next year, I think it's for first year students only and some events are second year.

What stage are you at now? You're starting uni in Sept?
    I've just finished my A-levels so should be starting uni in sept.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my A-levels so should be starting uni in sept.
    Ah that's fine then, check back around exam time to apply :yep:

ReputationRep:
    AP,

I too am starting uni this year. By 'exam time' do you mean december exams or june exams at uni? Also do you know of the entry requirements needed to attend such events?

Kind Regards

T23

ReputationRep:
    yeh this morning I woke up and decided I want to work in hedge funds. High five!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    yeh this morning I woke up and decided I want to work in hedge funds. High five!
    :rofl: career paths must start from somewhere :p:

ReputationRep:
    Avoid PWM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Avoid PWM.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Pwm?

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation as you. Im looking to do History at Warwick (starting this Sept)
    With the lack of quant in your degree, Trading is just that bit harder to get into although with a Masters in Finance (one which is aimed at non econ grads) its not impossible) from a reputable University.

Sales and M&A roles are very much accessible but just as if not more competitive.

At least I know someone thats in the same boat as me....now back to improving my maths - TIMESTABLES!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.