Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, the title of the thread says it all really. I have a few extenuating circumstances, is it worth an appeal?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain, so totally.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely appeal. Most universities, including mine, operate a policy by which if you're 2 percent below a classification, i.e. get 58% or 68%, you're automatically considered for the higher classification. If your first year marks, conduct and attendance are good, you'll usually be pushed up a classification.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you had extenuating circumstances, shouldn't you have said so beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    If you're 0.2% off wouldn't they give you a viva voce examination to decide whether or not you deserve to be moved up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    If you had extenuating circumstances, shouldn't you have said so beforehand?
    I said about my Crohns disease affecting my study, but not one of my marks went up by even 1% because of this, which is odd considering i've been hospitalised and missed uni because of it. Not to mention the non-stop fatigue it has caused throughout my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_darling)
    Definitely appeal. Most universities, including mine, operate a policy by which if you're 2 percent below a classification, i.e. get 58% or 68%, you're automatically considered for the higher classification. If your first year marks, conduct and attendance are good, you'll usually be pushed up a classification.
    My Crohns disease means that my attendance was piss poor throughout my degree. I presumed that this was just laziness and I was hideing behind my Crohns as an excuse, but now that I am in remission I feel I could take on the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    If you're 0.2% off wouldn't they give you a viva voce examination to decide whether or not you deserve to be moved up?
    What I was thinking. If not then it's worth an appeal. A 2.2 is still a good degree but a 2.1 is so much better. You've nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it, a lot will depend on our dissertation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I said about my Crohns disease affecting my study, but not one of my marks went up by even 1% because of this, which is odd considering i've been hospitalised and missed uni because of it. Not to mention the non-stop fatigue it has caused throughout my degree.
    You ought to make a racket about that through your Student Union. Sounds fairly shoddy on the part of your Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    You ought to make a racket about that through your Student Union. Sounds fairly shoddy on the part of your Uni.
    How would I go about doing this? I know the standard appeal procedure, but do you think I should go further than this?

ReputationRep:
    How would I go about doing this? I know the standard appeal procedure, but do you think I should go further than this?
    Well its two seperate things. Go through the appeal process, but then at the same time contact whoever the relevant person at your student union is and explain that you're unhappy overall with their lack of support and see what they say/offer.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that general uni policy is to only allow application for extenuating circumstances BEFORE you sit your exams, not after you've received your result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I was under the impression that general uni policy is to only allow application for extenuating circumstances BEFORE you sit your exams, not after you've received your result.
    I did put it in, but they didn't take it into account. There were also problems the year before. Further to this I couldn't have put in the application for the second year because I didn't even know I had it.

ReputationRep:
    I did put it in, but they didn't take it into account. There were also problems the year before. Further to this I couldn't have put in the application for the second year because I didn't even know I had it.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Why not?
    i would advise speaking to both your SU Education officer and your welfare officer about it.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know they didn't take your circumstances into account?

ReputationRep:
    Why not?
    I have no idea. They just said to me they didn't take it into account. It seems pretty stupid because it's only 0.2%, and I can guarantee now that i'm in remission that I could have scored at least an extra 10% of what I got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    How do you know they didn't take your circumstances into account?
    The secretary told me on the phone. Also, my last term grades stayed the same and it would have moderated those up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.