Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Embarrassed to be seen with my friend watch

ReputationRep:
    She sounds hot :hubba:

anyway on a more serious note, its not very fair on her, I mean put yourself in her shoes, or like if one of your friends thought you were really ugly and then they found out you couldnt hang around with them because you looked like that - I am sure you would be devistated, I know I would.

Who cares what people think about her, if she has a nice personality and you like her, then just ignore what she looks like.

People aren't going to look at you and go "eugh look at her" just because you're with a large person.

ReputationRep:
    Go out with other friends?

ReputationRep:
    everyone has a fat friend...i have 2 and im one for my amazingly skinny friend...get over it! you are so shallow, its not even funny, its sick that your so mean...*****

ReputationRep:
    Why would you be embarrassed to be seen with her? Her being fat doesn't reflect anything about you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be friends with her then.
    Seriously, you chose to be friends with her and you either encourage her to go on a diet, accept her the way she is or gtfo. How do you think it makes her feel?

ReputationRep:
    This girl deserves better from you, you must like something about her to hang around with her. I think your attitude is really cowardly, instead of talking to your friend, you **** her off on an internet forum. It must take a lot of guts to be that size and not feel the need to constantly cover up. I appreciate that size is not healthy but it is her business and only she can make the decision to diet and exercise.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wow. Some friend you are.
    Personally, I'd rather have an overweight friend than one like you. I'm sure she is well aware of her weight and probably doesn't much like going out with you if people are staring at her, especially if she knows how you feel about her.
    Seriously, if she repulses you that much, don't be friends with her. I'm inclined to believe she'd be much better off without you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Buy her a cardigan as a hint to cover up her arms.

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to her about her weight? Why don't you become gym buddies, it'll help motivate both of ya and on the plus it's a healthly keep fit regime, fat or not fat.

Hire a marching band to walk behind her to divert attention from her obesity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon or delete.

I know this is going to make me sound like a really horrible, shallow person...But I'm embarrassed to be seen with my friend.

She's about a size 20/22 and is reallyy big. She's covered in stretchmarks and so when we go out in town, her arms are on show and you can see her back fat in rolls under her top :eek: I know it sounds really nasty, but it makes me sick to look at it as it's just so unattractive. It actually makes me feel physically sick to imagine touching her skin

Guys will come over and take the mick out of her behind her back, so she's not aware of it but I'm stood there like =\ and it makes me feel awkward. She's wanting to go out tomorrow night, and the other friends who are out have entirely different taste in music so will go to another club whilst we go to another..I really don't want to be seen with her by myself though!

I'm such a bad person
    You're obviously acutely aware of what you're saying and the last sentence confirms your feeling of guilt regarding it. It is to your credit to admit it, actually, in my opinion - so I would urge anyone else responding to first of all admit to themselves that, now and again, we all think not very nice things even when we don't particularly want to, consciously. It takes guts to ask people about that as it demonstrates at least some awareness of wanting to alter it.

That is in fact a decent start.

First of all, harsh question time. You need to ask yourself whether she can call you a friend, not the other way round. I know that may sound somewhat contradictory to my first paragraph but it is in fact meant to be an objective exercise for you to commit to. The more direct you are with yourself the better, and it's okay to ask these questions. The first thoughts of any behaviour which doesn't meet with conscience need secondarily brusque, yet objective, self analysis.

Also, you need to ask whether you finding her attractive or unattractive is in fact important to a friendship. What is a truly mature friendship? Does it require such factors? My own personal opinion . . . No, no. :p: This is something you have to ask yourself. It's not meant to be easy. :p:

Thirdly, look at your own maturity and your own reasons for asking the question. Do you want to absolve yourself from any guilt for feeling what you feel, or do you want to correct the situation which leads to that feeling?

This is the kind of thing you have to answer yourself. The only personal opinion I will give more explicitly on it is that maturity is sometimes found in admitting things about ourselves we'd rather not admit, but through genuine care we nonetheless want to correct. If you're doing that, then try not to beat yourself up too much about it - even if some thoughts and feelings are not exactly nice to someone, if you don't care about them then you have no possibility of rectifying them.

So if you do come down on that side of the fence in your assessment, acknowledge yourself, acknowledge her, both as human beings worthy not only of doing the right thing, but also of making mistakes and being allowed to learn.

ReputationRep:
    your a **** , personally id be more attractive to her seeing as shes obviously alot nicer then you, your pathetic

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she sounds disgusting tbh

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't standing next to her make you look better than you would if you were, lets say, standing next to some supermodel?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you sound like a total ***** tbph. Why are you even friends with her in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Woah sounds to me that your friend has more rolls then Greggs. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Lol!!

ReputationRep:
    To all the people saying 'tell her to lose weight because she's your friend', that really isn't easy to do. Some people get really defensive about it when their friends bring it up. My friend would get really angry whenever I even slightly hinted, really indirectly, at the fact that losing weight would be the healthy thing to do. (She was about a size 22 as well.)

She had to want to do it herself. Now she's about a size 16 and a lot happier, but that's because she decided she was going to put in the effort, not because I told her.

I think people in these situations often think that their friends will be there no matter what they look like, so if you mention it, even for their own health, they see it as you attacking them, when really it's the opposite.

Its about whats inside that counts.

Its just in her case its a few thousand pies. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    What about her! She has to hang around with a troll :troll:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.