Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hola Amigos,

I'm off to spend my 3rd year at a Japanese University and I am currently super confused as to what happens with the money shizzle. I have been recieveing full whack loan for my last 2 years along with full maintenance grant.

Does anyone know if I will be entitled to same sort of funding as I have been receiveing? Also has anyone had any luck with claiming back travel expenses from the LEA? Any schloarships or burasaries I should try and abuse?

I have tried speaking to Student Finance England, but they are just beyond useless

Thank you please

ReputationRep:
    You still get finance as normal, plus a little bit more for being abroad! (like how you get more if you live in London).

As far as travel expenses go, you may be able to get something but it depends on LEA and other factors -- it's all stuff you find out when you apply!

ReputationRep:
    Ermm does it not depend whether you're in Europe or out of Europe? I thought that you get more financial help if you do it through ERASMUS i.e stay in Europe. I'm probably wrong :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Erasmus then you get the Erasmus grant, otherwise you still get student finance all the same. (i.e. regardless of EU/not in EU). Like in my case, it's in Europe (France), but not Erasmus, so I get the same finance I get now, just slightly increased cos it's overseas.

ReputationRep:
    So, basically, if I don't do Erasmus, I'd still get at least the normal maintenance loan (which is what I get now?). If I did do Erasmus, would I still get normal student finance or not?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't do Erasmus, you'll get the normal maintenance loan, and this figure will be a couple of hundred quid higher (yay !!). It's like how you get more if you're living in London, you get even more if you study overseas.

If you DO do Erasmus, you'll get same as above, PLUS the Erasmus grant. So again, this is very good!

Btw, just incase people aren't aware of this, Year Abroad students can now also get the Erasmus grant for working abrod too, not just for studying!

The whole YA finance thing can be quite confusing, but hopefully things will become clear soon!

ReputationRep:
    I am just winding up my Year Abroad which I spent working in Paris having received the full maintenance loan from the Student Loans Company (or however they are currently styling themselves...) at the 'overseas rate' of around £4,000. So as others have said before me, you are entitled to more than the usual.

However, this said I have heard from friends embarking on their year abroad that for this coming year (and presumably for the forseeable future seeing as how Britain is more than just a little short on public funds) a student working in either the EU or non-EU region will only be entitled to a meagre £2780 maintenance grant.

I suppose the reasoning is that if you are earning then you require less in the way of student funding from the government. This seems a shame because had I been faced with this current situation, the year abroad that I have been lucky enough to experience would have been a no-no from the get go.

I have, since february, been earning 900 euros a month but nearly three quarters of this passes through my bank account for a quick, cheeky "hello" before being siphoned off to pay for accom. (Paris is full of obnoxious landlords jumping at the chance to pass off their broom cupboard as the solution to all of your accomodation needs at a pretty tidy sum). Without the full student loan I doubt I could really get by, and I'm talking transport costs and food here, not frivolous spending and luxury shopping.

Compounding the funding problem is that for the first six months I worked in a voluntary internship role in order to build up experience and trade up to the paid job I have now. During these first six months the full maintenance grant was essential (as well as being lucky enough to have parents willing to fund me).

I say all of this because quite simply, without the funding that I had, plus even some extra resources, my year working with doctors and interpreters at the World Health Organization, representing my NGO at UNESCO house and all of the other incredible opportunities I have been afforded would simply not have been affordable (excuse the pun).

In no way am I whining here, I just feel sorry that kids next year may not be able to spend their year working, building up wonderful experiences, crucial work experience and having a great time out of academia. The whole process seems to have become a little less meritocratic and moved a little further in the direction of excluding those who want, but don't necessarily have the funds, to work. I appreciate that most will study on their year abroad but for those who want(ed) to work this seems like an awful kick in the teeth. Surely thr gov't should be promoting this sort of scheme given the state of europe's economy?

Sorry to piss on your parade OP with the negative post, but for a silver lining I gather that the study abroad side of financial dealings looks unchanged. Have fun in Japan, I would love to go!

ReputationRep:
    :|

Oh dear! We'll have to watch this space then to see if that does actually happen for people working. We've had loads of finance talks and nothing's been mentioned, but with the student loans people, ANYTHING's possible...!

ReputationRep:
    So this means that people who want to go out of Europe, to the USA or whatever, get extra for their yearly grant? :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.