Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Over the past two years my parents have taken out both a phone contract and mobile internet in my name. They took a phone contract out for my dad and mobile internet for my sister (who I don't even like!). Back then I did not know much about credit history and stuff so obviously I did not mind. At first I did refuse, however this upset my mum and so I did agree in the end. I have now learnt my lesson as I found out today my mum did not pay both the internet and phone bill. The bill is expensive and to be honest my mum has no interest in paying it. This will not affect the rest of my life when trying to obtain credit.

I've just had a big argument with my mum about it, and she was like "we won't ask for help ever again, and for me to get away to uni". I love her a lot but I can't believe she would do this to me. To be honest it is my own fault and I feel so stupid for allowing her to put things in my name.
    Just wondering is there anything I can do? and has anyone else been in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible!

Anyway - your Dad and your sister should pay the bills, as it was them who ran them up.
    Why did they take them out in your name anyway?

ReputationRep:
    This is a big problem... and it does need sorting out. Tbh, I may not be the best person to talk to when it comes to this sort of thing BUT arguing about it is not a good thing when it comes to this sort of situation. If your mum has no interest in paying it... then it's up to whoever the phone and internet bill is to pay. But you guys seriously need to talk about it... even if you go to the bank and work out a way of paying this sort of thing off. As much as I hate my bank they are there to help and they'll give you and the family advice on what to do and how you can sort your credit out.

Hope that somehow helps.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, that's unfair, and they have essentially used you; presumably their own credit history isn't good enough to take out contracts of their own. It's not your fault, really - noone expects their own parents to screw them over, which is basically what they've done.

I'm by no means an expert in this, but this best thing to do would be to talk to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, and possibly your bank - explain what happened, and maybe they can help you.

In the end, I think the best thing to do would be to leave and go to Uni, and pursue your own life. Most importantly, if they ask for help of this nature again, politely refuse - after all, this is your future and your life they are messing with for the sake of a phone and mobile internet!

Sorry if I've been a bit harsh, but this kinda thing REALLY annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I am going to email citizens advice and go into my bank next week. Don't get me wrong I love my parents so much but this has gone to far and I feel it has ruined out relationship after some of the things she said. Because I would do anything for my mum, she does certain things to try to make me feel guilty, but now I have opened my eyes and I won't be a fool again. I can't wait to go to uni, and it will be nice just to get away from her. Thanks to all responses!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, the making-you-feel-guilty trick. Used to work all the time, until I realised that it was ******** and it was literally to make me do things for them, with little or no benefit to me.

By all means, love your parents, just keep your distance... I speak from experience, although not quite so extreme. :P

ReputationRep:
    No worries you take care!

ReputationRep:
    what the hell, how could your parents have done that to you?

/useless post, sorry

ReputationRep:
    How old were you when the contracts were taken out?

ReputationRep:
    That is so unfair of your parents, you need to contact the company directly involved and see if you can cancel the contract and come to any financial arrangement. The debt will need to be paid, unfortunately you may have to pay the debt to protect your credit file. Did you sign any of the forms? If the credit has been obtained in your name and the legal document has been forged citizens advice may advice to file a police report.

I think you should apply to see your Experian file straight away to see if they have applied for anything else in your name. Fingers crossed you can get it sorted quickly.

ReputationRep:
    sue them - you can can't you?

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to me...If you were under 18 when the contracts were taken out, the companies may cancel the debt, but don't legally have to take off the defaults.
    If you weren't you have no come back, unless you'd take your parents to caught for fraud. This wasn't an option for me, so I paid the bill, and in six years it will drop off my credit rating.

If you wanna talk about it, PM or quote me, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Parents suck sometimes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What the ****? Why isn't she going to pay the bill? Why did they take out the contracts in the first place if they weren't going to pay them?

ReputationRep:
    Your mother is probably being foolish because she doesn't understand the importance of credit history. A lot of middle-aged women leave everything financial to their husband and don't understand how it all works. She probably just sees the two bills as individual bills which can be left for awhile and consequently doesn't understand why you are upset. Perhaps she will understand if you explain to her the full implications of not paying those bills: i.e. it could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage.

I wonder if your Dad or Sister would pay their bills?

ReputationRep:
    It's under your name, you can cancel it. I suggest ask your mum to pay it and say either you keep up to date with the payments or you'll cancel it. They can't do anything about you cancelling it due to it been under your name. Just don't let her guilt you into paying it and her keeping the contract, also cancel your sisters one as well. If they want it they should do it under their own names.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.