Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When someone studies at Oxford or Cambridge, do doors really open for you in the world?

Or is it the course you studied? For example, If I wanted to study Medicine or PPE or Maths, would doors open for me at Oxford than at another University when other firms look at my CV?

ReputationRep:
    depends if the doors are electric or you have to push them, not sure wat doors they have at oxbridge .... although i would think doors arnt biased and will open no matter what uni you go to ...
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Codeine Addict)
    depends if the doors are electric or you have to push them, not sure wat doors they have at oxbridge .... although i would think doors arnt biased and will open no matter what uni you go to ...
    hope this helps
    :laugh: wow

on topic: OP if you mean have greater opportunities, it may bring a couple, but I can't see there being that much difference between the top ten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    When someone studies at Oxford or Cambridge, do doors really open for you in the world?

Or is it the course you studied? For example, If I wanted to study Medicine or PPE or Maths, would doors open for me at Oxford than at another University when other firms look at my CV?
    History/Geography/etc Oxford/Cambridge or Maths/Econ/Law UCL.

Both course and uni are important.

Depends which uni you're talking about.

I.e. University of Oxford/Cambridge > Oxford Brookes/Anglia Ruskin

But, tbh, it's what you do with your Oxbridge degree that opens doors for you. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    basically you have a better chance of getting into a firm, im not sure about the salaries.

(Original post by illy123)
    History/Geography/etc Oxford/Cambridge or Maths/Econ/Law UCL.

Both course and uni are important.

How can you compare a different subject in a different uni?

Fair enough comparing Cambridge Maths and UCL Maths, but you can't compare Cambridge Geography with Law UCL, as they're two separate things.

Are you also trying to saying History and Geography at Oxbridge is of lesser "value" than Maths/Econ/Law at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)

How can you compare a different subject in a different uni?

Fair enough comparing Cambridge Maths and UCL Maths, but you can't compare Cambridge Geography with Law UCL, as they're two separate things.

Are you also trying to saying History and Geography at Oxbridge is of lesser "value" than Maths/Econ/Law at UCL?
    Yup lol Maths > Science > Computing > Econ > Science > Med > Law > other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Depends which uni you're talking about.

I.e. University of Oxford/Cambridge > Oxford Brookes/Anglia Ruskin

But, tbh, it's what you do with your Oxbridge degree that opens doors for you. :yep:
    LOL, im so academic - you're my favourite TSRian

ReputationRep:

Yes but graduating with a 2.1 from oxford isn't better than a 1.1 from say Nottingham. In my opinion it's not anyway.

ReputationRep:
    OP: this question comes up a lot, so the best thing would be to do a forum search. Basically: no-one can agree, but if you go to another university and do very well and are able to bring other good qualities to the table, in the vast majority of careers (with the exception of, say, Investment Banking or Magic Circle law firms) you ought not be at an automatic disadvantage.

(Original post by Zerodos)
    Yes but graduating with a 2.1 from oxford isn't better than a 1.1 from say Nottingham. In my opinion it's not anyway.
    Depends on situation, e.g. your ECs, your work experience, how you come across in interview, criminal record etc.

ReputationRep:
    That is complete rubbish

For example, if you do medicine at any university you are virtually guaranteed a job in the NHS worth more than £80,000 per year once you are fully qualified.

Plus, only very few people who complete law degrees enter the profession.

Maths/economics/medicine are the most important degrees to have, and as a result generally more prosperous students take them.

However, currently you are more likely to find a job with a degree in Nursing than in finance because the recession means there are very few jobs in finance and banking.

ReputationRep:
    just saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    just saying
    What isn't clear :p:

I'm off to sleep, will resume trolling in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sermon)
    :laugh: wow
    Off Topic
    I just noticed your sig. Which course and college have you firmed Durham for? It's my firm choice aswell.

Sorry about that guys. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Codeine Addict)
    hope this helps
    They're all Uni Card activated :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    That is complete rubbish

For example, if you do medicine at any university you are virtually guaranteed a job in the NHS worth more than £80,000 per year once you are fully qualified.

Plus, only very few people who complete law degrees enter the profession.

Maths/economics/medicine are the most important degrees to have, and as a result generally more prosperous students take them.

However, currently you are more likely to find a job with a degree in Nursing than in finance because the recession means there are very few jobs in finance and banking.
    yes people who do law have to pass the chambers, which is very tough.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge students are on average more driven and able than students of other universities and therefore on average graduate into higher paid and more "prestitgious" careers and on also on average climb their way into positions of influence faster. It is conceivable that these Oxbridge graduates prefer to hire other Oxbridge graduates both for reasons of nostalgia or fraternity and also because they see Oxbridge as a signal of a candidate's quality.

That said, there are no jobs that are open to Oxbridge graduates only anymore.

ReputationRep:

I would some how agree as most people who study at these two institution already have a determination to succeed in life and be on top, imagine having graduated from the above establishments and then not going on to full potential.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.