Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly. Anyone with an Oxbridge degree, no matter what course, has a fair bit more chance at succeeding in life. You gotta be proactive though.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just use the search tool?
    I mean there have been hundreds of those threads last year, never coming to an end..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Not exactly. Anyone with an Oxbridge degree, no matter what course, has a fair bit more chance at succeeding in life. You gotta be proactive though.
    For example; Oxford geography has more chance of succeeding in life than Warwick/UCL Maths? Or Cambs classics/theology has more chance of succeeding than Kings medicine? I think if you start to measure success by average income then LSE comes top, then Imperial, then Cambs... can't remembr where I saw this ... Times?) - although obviously LSE Econ/Imperial Engin are a slightly different case.

This is not America where you apply to uni; we apply for a course and there is a huge difference in how hard it is to get a certain course at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illy123)
    For example; Oxford geography has more chance of succeeding in life than Warwick/UCL Maths? Or Cambs classics/theology has more chance of succeeding than Kings medicine? I think if you start to measure success by average income then LSE comes top, then Imperial, then Cambs... can't remembr where I saw this ... Times?) - although obviously LSE Econ/Imperial Engin are a slightly different case.

This is not America where you apply to uni; we apply for a course and there is a huge difference in how hard it is to get a certain course at uni.
    Well you're going to LSE so its clearly in your interest to perceive it this way.

Personally I think its a really silly question and can't be answered because it will depend on so many overlapping factors that you'd have to answer it on a case by case basis for it to have any representative meaning or truth to it.

For instance I know plenty of people who graduated from Cambridge with good degrees but remained unemployed. The point is don't bother generalising. (to TSR at large) [/wasteofbreath]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well you're going to LSE so its clearly in your interest to perceive it this way.

Personally I think its a really silly question and can't be answered because it will depend on so many overlapping factors that you'd have to answer it on a case by case basis for it to have any representative meaning or truth to it.

For instance I know plenty of people who graduated from Cambridge with good degrees but remained unemployed. The point is don't bother generalising. (to TSR at large) [/wasteofbreath]
    I had a hard time choosing between LSE Econ and Cambs Downing Econ - so as a result I have built quite a strong opinion (needed one to decide). I think course and uni can be a very good academics but to suggest that Oxbridge candidates magically have some other amazing non-academic qualities (the post I was quoting), is IMO delusional - this should be addressed specific to each person; not to a uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had a hard time choosing between LSE Econ and Cambs Downing Econ - so as a result I have built quite a strong opinion (needed one to decide). I think course and uni can be a very good academics but to suggest that Oxbridge candidates magically have some other amazing non-academic qualities (the post I was quoting), is IMO delusional - this should be addressed specific to each person; not to a uni.
    Well sure I agree, but same goes to suddenly deciding that x course at y University has some magic property to it. (which was implied in your last post) Clearly its all about the individual in question, and how they use the advantages at their disposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well sure I agree, but same goes to suddenly deciding that x course at y University has some magic property to it. (which was implied in your last post) Clearly its all about the individual in question, and how they use the advantages at their disposal.
    I was strictly talking about academic merit - which is what course + uni can be an indication of (I believe...) Non-academic factors cannot be generalised in the same way. When I was trying to decide I heard lots of weird stuff from people - almost describing Oxbridge candidates as Gods, which is funny as that implies there is a clear, huge, gap between (oxford + cambridge total admissions number) and other students.

ReputationRep:
    I see

ReputationRep:

I guess yes. Because the man who just committed suicide a few days ago, he was a stockbroker making huge money with a Oxford geography degree! LSE/Imperial/UCL are almost close to Oxbridge, so the comparison becomes a little diluted. But compare with someone from, say, Nottingham.

This is obviously no rule. Anyone can be a taste of high-life. But degree, proactive-ness and luck makes the road a little less bumpier.

ReputationRep:
    I guess yes. Because the man who just committed suicide a few days ago, he was a stockbroker making huge money with a Oxford geography degree! LSE/Imperial/UCL are almost close to Oxbridge, so the comparison becomes a little diluted. But compare with someone from, say, Nottingham.

This is obviously no rule. Anyone can be a taste of high-life. But degree, proactive-ness and luck makes the road a little less bumpier.
    Didn't really succeed in life, did he?

What I'm trying to say is that if the OP thinks there is a correlation between how hard it is to get a specific course and succeeding in life then he has to take into account the variation in courses. Get into a lot of Oxbridge courses is much easier than into getting into certain courses at other, top-ranked univerisities (e.g. Medc, Econ, Law, Maths, Engineering). I'm not including LSE Econ and Imp Engin in this as many people chose it over Oxbridge (LSE particularly).

ReputationRep:
    Is Nottingham miles away either? Many of their courses require top grades to get in too and tbh their medical school is very highly sought after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Is Nottingham miles away either? Many of their courses require top grades to get in too and tbh their medical school is very highly sought after.
    That was just an example.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really say as my sister was saying yesterday ''it's so unfair that people who go to Oxbridge are favoured by employers''. Even if this is the case for one or two employers (unlikely to be widespread as it's the quality of your character and what initiative you have which is likely to be of the greatest importance) there will probably be one or two employers who hate Oxbridge graduates.

ReputationRep:
    Most Oxbridge grads are like most grads from everywhere else, doing fine but not setting the world alight. They don't sprinkle fairydust on you as you enter an ancient quad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaduck)
    Most Oxbridge grads are like most grads from everywhere else, doing fine but not setting the world alight.
    Well I'm guessing employers realise that Oxbridge students have experience of handling an impossible number of deadlines in an impossible amount of time. Throughout first year I had on average three 2-3000 word essays (with dense primary literature) a week. This in practice often turned out to be sessions of four essays due in eight days with short intervals inbetween sessions :rolleyes:

I agree with the general consensus that an Oxford or Cambridge degree is probably ridiculously overrated, but there are a few objective practical brownie points such as this, however valuable that really is to an employer.
    (Original post by megaduck)
    They don't sprinkle fairydust on you as you enter an ancient quad!
    ...but we get free ancient port at our matriculation and graduation dinners :awesome:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.