Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that it happens quite often...? What tactics do you use to safeguard your vocal health?

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of a teacher that has lost his/ her voice or suffered from a sore throat as a result of teaching lessons. When I did my placement in a class as a student/ assistant teacher, I taught a couple lessons from time to time, and I never experienced such symptoms. It's not like teachers yell at the students. They're just talking, maybe a bit louder than normal, but their lecturing should not initiate any voice loss/ sore throat symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    Probably only happens to teacher that have to shout a lot.

And the solution would be to not shout as much, if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    Happens only really occasionally with me. I used to take singing lessons, though, so know how to use my diaphragm and voice correctly, safely and healthily so that my throat doesn't become damaged.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Contrary to some of the other opinions, it is not uncommon for teachers to suffer throat problems - after all you are using your voice all day every day. The thing you must not NEVER do is use throat sprays to mask the symptoms and then continue to use your voice. I have known two teachers that have left the profession through long term vocal problems - one developed nodules on his vocal cords and had a number of operations but never managed to return to work. The other lost all the power in his voice - he tried teaching using a microphone and amplifier for a while but ultimately decided to take early retirement.

ReputationRep:
    Not through lessons, but cheering the kids on is another story...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.