Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam7v)
    My mate says the law states that if something is priced wrongly, it is an invitation to treat, not a legal contract. They can say they don't want to sell it.

Lets hope they feel kind though :-)
    This is correct.

ReputationRep:
    I think in actual physical shops... they're allowed 24 hours to change the signage if something's priced wrongly. I can't see why it'd be any different for online retailers?

ReputationRep:
    It won't come.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt this will work though - but i'm annoyed I didnt see this earlier - its worth a shot!

Anyones gone through? As in, actually worked?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    I think we should all try and email newspapers/BBC to try and get some publicity about it. Amazon are less likely to deny the order if their company will look bad.
    done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    No it's not, and neither is it on the high street. This counts as an invitation to treat, not a contract, and only if they actually deliver the product does it become legally binding.
    no, from third party seller its a contract to purchase

Please note that for items ordered from Amazon.co.uk this e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you. For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ all the people suggesting making a fuss and arguing legalities.

We have no ground on which to stand here. Chances are the company will not charge/will refund the order and put the items back up at the proper price.
    There will be no bad feedback as no transaction has occurred and no one will care as it happens all the while.
    Mistakes like this happen pretty much daily and I've only ever once got anything from it and that was capacitors from a electrical supplier :p: not individual high priced goods.

Having said that, there is no harm trying but as I've said before, previous mispriced products have been cancelled when I tried to buy them from this exact company

I'd give a 99.99999% chance of you getting nothing more than an apology/order cancelled email

ReputationRep:
    No it's not, and neither is it on the high street. This counts as an invitation to treat, not a contract, and only if they actually deliver the product does it become legally binding.
    When I worked in John Lewis we were told this was the law:

if you see a label in the high street that clearly displays the items name and details eg:

"Ipod touch 32gb 2nd Generation
    -touch screen
    -thousands of songs
    -etc

£20.00"

then the shop is obliged to offer you the item at this price.

If it it just a pile of items with a blank price tag saying: £20.00, then they are under no obligation to meet the price, just as they are under no obligation if someone puts an ipod touch in a 50p bargain bin.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email and my heart sank but it wasn't from amazon. Phew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itszednotzee)
    I doubt this will work though - but i'm annoyed I didnt see this earlier - its worth a shot!

Anyones gone through?
    They all went through. Mine went through a while ago and I have a confirmation e-mail sitting pretty in my inbox.

ReputationRep:
    What delivery did everyone get? I went for standard - couldn't be bothered with express tbh.

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesrting to see how they get out of supplying us. We now have a contract of sale stated by the following line from the confirmation email "For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items. "

Also, those quoting the Amazon T&C about mispriced product, they're Amazon's T&C's. After combing through this companies info on their seller page there is nothing in their T&C's to cover this.

ReputationRep:
    Argos only got out of this because they stated in the T&C that they were allowed to cancel the order. Amazon have not said anything like that, as far as I can see.

As for the bad rep thing - They don't care. Bad rep is better than bad bank balance...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by itszednotzee)

Anyones gone through?
    they have all gone through, just a case of whether we recieve them now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    lol on ebay they have to sell it you for that price, like on marketplace
    I do realise that. It was my entire point.

Just becuase it's against the rules, doesn't stop someone refusing to sell. Nobody's going to go knock their door down and physically take the products. All that will happen is a dispute is opened and you get your money back.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Clements-)
    What delivery did everyone get? I went for standard - couldn't be bothered with express tbh.
    yes, same, I went for standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    lol @ all the people suggesting making a fuss and arguing legalities.

We have no ground on which to stand here. Chances are the company will not charge/will refund the order and put the items back up at the proper price.
    There will be no bad feedback as no transaction has occurred and no one will care as it happens all the while.
    Mistakes like this happen pretty much daily and I've only ever once got anything from it and that was capacitors from a electrical supplier :p: not individual high priced goods.

Having said that, there is no harm trying but as I've said before, previous mispriced products have been cancelled when I tried to buy them from this exact company

I'd give a 99.99999% chance of you getting nothing more than an apology/order cancelled email
    Don't dash our dreams :p: It's about time amazon gave me something :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    When I worked in John Lewis we were told this was the law:

if you see a label in the high street that clearly displays the items name and details eg:

"Ipod touch 32gb 2nd Generation
    -touch screen
    -thousands of songs
    -etc

£20.00"

then the shop is obliged to offer you the item at this price.

If it it just a pile of items with a blank price tag saying: £20.00, then they are under no obligation to meet the price, just as they are under no obligation if someone puts an ipod touch in a 50p bargain bin.
    exactly an invitation to treat is just when there is a label on the item with a price

this isnt the same as that

ReputationRep:
    It has the normal price of £196.99 on for me. Are some people still seeing it as £13.13???

It won't go through anyway. A while ago someone found all the James Bond films for £10, loads of people ordered it and the next day they were all cancelled...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Same, standard. I'm away for graduation until Tuesday anyway, so it works out better for me. Plus, in my experience, standard delivery has always taken roughly the same time as express.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.