Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Sam7v)
    Where did it say that?
    i had to change my debit card details, the address was wrong, thats a transcript of the email i recieved back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    lol if contract has already been made, as the email states

they might have to send them :littleangel:
    But it hasn't been made, unless you've received a second email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam7v)
    There's nothing to say it has or hasn't worked...

We won't know until it comes through our letterbox or we get an email telling us where to go
    Oh, well reading through the thread I became under the impression that there would be a second e-mail confirming it ...thats what I meant haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    lol if contract has already been made, as the email states

they might have to send them :littleangel:
    They can cancel your order whenever they want, wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    They are not legally obliged to send it to you.
    It's called meeting of the minds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeting_of_the_minds
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AP_89)
    'Please note that for items ordered from Amazon.co.uk this e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you.'

So they have the chance to look over the order, see it doesn't make sense then kindly tell you to F off. However:

'For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.'

IT Hardware Direct Ltd is a third party, right?
    IT hardware operate as part of the marketplace, they are a third party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    IT Hardware are a third party, its a contract

ReputationRep:
    None of you will actually receive the touch
    "A great offer on a Target website on a Canon digital camera. I managed to get in my order before they corrected the error, but exulted that I had beat them and I was going to score a great deal. Imagine my disappointment when they canceled the order --I found out that it is common in the purchase agreements that rule business websites to have a disclaimer for a pricing error. Unlike a store, they are not obligated to honor the error. I would expect any reputable retailer to cancel the order and ask to resubmit at the correct price. When you placed the order you agreed to the price at that time, and that is all they are authorized to charge your credit card. If they charge the full price without your concurrence, I would involve your credit card company in the dispute."

source: http://askville.amazon.com/responsib...estId=12565613
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AP_89)
    thats with amazon, not third parties.. this has been stated numerous times in this thread

the email we recieved was the contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itszednotzee)
    Don't you get a second e-mail saying that it is confirmed/being delivered? Thats what I was getting at.... haha
    Whenever I've used Amazon before, I've only ever received a confirmation e-mail (which I've got) and then a dispatch e-mail (which I've not got yet because it's not due to be dispatched until the 13th as I ordered standard delivery).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorley_wall)
    "For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items. "
    But, you're missing out the bit slightly before that sentence. On its own, it looks like the email you got confirms it. But with the part that comes before, it sounds more likely that the email they send confirming that it has been dispatched, that one is the contract.

I think 'this email' refers to the email mentioned in the sentence directly before the one you quoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    'For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.'[/I]

IT Hardware Direct Ltd is a third party, right?
    Yes, but does this not mean that you have ordered it therefore you're contractually obliged to buy it for the advertised price etc, not they have to sell it? Otherwise it would be a contract to SELL those items, not purchase them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    IT hardware operate as part of the marketplace, they are a third party.
    (Original post by tom//)
    IT Hardware are a third party, its a contract
    I thought the same, I don't see how they can get out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorley_wall)
    It will be interesrting to see how they get out of supplying us. We now have a contract of sale stated by the following line from the confirmation email "For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items. "

Also, those quoting the Amazon T&C about mispriced product, they're Amazon's T&C's. After combing through this companies info on their seller page there is nothing in their T&C's to cover this.
    They can and will undercut this by saying there was no contract (which there wasn't). Contracts are objective and they will argue that you knew it was a clear mistake and not their intention to offer it at that price, and thus there was no contract.

Case law for an identical case:

The third decision concerns an important Singapore case – probably the first ever -- on Internet mistake. In Chwee Kin Keong v Digilandmall.com Pte Ltd, the six plaintiffs sought to take advantage of a unilateral mistake made by the defendant who had wrongly priced a certain commercial laser printer at $66 a piece, instead of the actual price of $3,854. In total, the plaintiffs sought to purchase 1,606 units of the printer for a mere $105,996 (compared with the market value of $6,189,524). Invoking the doctrine of unilateral mistake, Judicial Commissioner (now Justice) V K Rajah ruled in favour of the defendant. His key holding was that, in such situations, there was no need for an actual notice of the mistake by the defendant. All that was required was that the non-mistaken party ought reasonably to have known of the other party’s mistake -- known in legal terms as constructive knowledge. While an appeal has just been heard and a decision is pending, Professor Phang analyzes the ramifications of the present decision in two papers that are forthcoming in a special issue on contract law in the Singapore Academy of Law Journal. Amongst other things, he argues that the endorsement of constructive knowledge by the Court is both timely and fair.
    http://www.smu.edu.sg/research/knowl...005/andrew.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilly Gillett)
    Yes, but does this not mean that you have ordered it therefore you're contractually obliged to buy it for the advertised price etc, not they have to sell it? Otherwise it would be a contract to SELL those items, not purchase them?
    I'm not following, we have a contract to purchase the item.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabulous_darling)
    Whenever I've used Amazon before, I've only ever received a confirmation e-mail (which I've got) and then a dispatch e-mail (which I've not got yet because it's not due to be dispatched until the 13th as I ordered standard delivery).
    Ah OK, I wasn't sure. Just thought they did a second one as someone mentioned it futher back in the thread! (I'm an eBay user myself.... haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    They can and will undercut this by saying there was no contract (which there wasn't). Contracts are objective and they will argue that you knew it was a clear mistake and not their intention to offer it at that price, and thus there was no contract.
    Knowing this makes a contract void? :eyebrow:

I can't see Amazon pulling that case out of the bag.

ReputationRep:
    I ******* LOVE YOU OP!!

I ordered one for the £8.50, got the e-mail and have spent the last hour making sure my dad (a solicitor) read through all the terms + conditions and he's ******* shocked - yes, they are legally obliged to SEND IT TO US!

'For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, this e-mail confirms the completion of your contract to purchase those items.'

Seeing as this order was placed through Marketplace, the contracts done + settled.

Go and have a look at your order history - it's back up at £200+ but our order specifically underlines that we've got it at £8.50!

I ******* LOVE YOU!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Shayke)
    But, you're missing out the bit slightly before that sentence. On its own, it looks like the email you got confirms it. But with the part that comes before, it sounds more likely that the email they send confirming that it has been dispatched, that one is the contract.

I think 'this email' refers to the email mentioned in the sentence directly before the one you quoted.
    no, the way it is worded shows that the one we got is the contract. why cause confusion, when they can simply say, the dispatch email is overall confirmation of purchase, regardless of where purchased?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    They are not legally obliged to send it to you.
    It's called meeting of the minds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeting_of_the_minds
    If you say so...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.