Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    if it is out of your available balance, then the transaction has been successful, and a direct debit has been imposed on your account. that money is no longer yours, and it has been technically paid for.
    And they can't refund?

Sucks how it is nearly the weekend.

It's going to take ages to find out if this was successful or not.

Sucks I never ordered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    This is referring to misleading prices rather than mistakes.
    As in putting a price of £5 + £1 delivery but then actually dumping the customer with £500 in processing fees.
    Or deliberately advertising lower prices to lead a customer into the store than charging higher on the till.

It doesn't apply to the honest mistakes of an online seller
    Actually, no

But a company could not just claim it was a mistake: Argos would need to show it had reliable systems in place designed to stop this sort of thing happening.

ReputationRep:
    I think if the money has now been taken it can't be cancelled as it's like paying for something in a shop. They can't then run after you and claim the item back. What they could do is say it's out of stock and readvertise it-if they do we could go to consumer direct as they are technically cancelling the contract by lying.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, almost 700 posts on this. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    OMG this is crazy!!! Im sooo gutted i didnt come on here earlier and see this

Although the seller appears to have fled now! But hey, you never know! Would be awesome if you did get them specially those who ordered a couple...that'll buy you a nice holiday if you pop them on ebay!

ReputationRep:
    Amazon still let consumers cancel up until the item has been physically dispatched which surely means they can also cancel orders up until this point? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Amazon still let consumers cancel up until the item has been physically dispatched which surely means they can also cancel orders up until this point? :holmes:
    If you have some sort of quotation, or a link you can send me to I'd be happy to believe you

From what I've read in their T&C, there is nothing that says anything about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    So back on topic: Anybody not have the money taken from their account?
    I haven't been charged yet, it's quite annoying but I've had my confirmation e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    ''When you place an order to purchase a product from Amazon.co.uk, we will send you an e-mail confirming receipt of your order and containing the details of your order. Your order represents an offer to us to purchase a product which is accepted by us when we send e-mail confirmation to you that we've dispatched that product to you (the "Dispatch Confirmation E-mail"). That acceptance will be complete at the time we send the Dispatch Confirmation E-mail to you. Any products on the same order which we have not confirmed in a Dispatch Confirmation E-mail to have been dispatched do not form part of that contract.''

OMFG?!?!?!

Is this the email we've got?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam7v)
    If you have some sort of quotation, or a link you can send me to I'd be happy to believe you

From what I've read in their T&C, there is nothing that says anything about that.

I can print screen an email confirming a cancellation I made a week after ordering something from them if you wish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I haven't been charged yet, it's quite annoying but I've had my confirmation e-mail.
    Check your available balance. It hasnt officially gone out of my account, but its gone out of my available balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    ''We do not charge your credit or debit card until we dispatch your order/.''

From Amazon's site.

So if you've been charged (like me!) it's confirmed!! YESSSSSSSSS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Crystal.x)
    Check your available balance. It hasnt officially gone out of my account, but its gone out of my available balance.
    POST 693.

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh I hope you lot get your iPods, although I doubt you will Wish I'd seen this earlier!

ReputationRep:
    http://news.cnet.com/Amazon-wont-hon..._3-993246.html

check that link out, i know that was amazon selling and not an external seller from marketplace but i very much doubt we'll get our i pods

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm not printscreening the email as there will be too much blocked out

Anyway it says:

'you have cancelled ...'

'Because you only pay for items when we ship them to you, you won't be charged for any items that you cancel.

Thank you for visiting Amazon.co.uk.'

So if you have had the money taken then they can't cancel either judging by that :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tango Freakster)
    POST 693.
    What??

ReputationRep:
    It also says on the IT hardware Direct people's page:

'
    IT Hardware Direct shall endeavour to maintain prices quoted but IT Hardware Direct reserves the right to increase quoted prices at any time to take into account of increase in costs including (without limitation) costs of labour, materials, carriage, or other overheads.

Unless otherwise specified prices are stated in £ Sterling, inclusive of VAT.'

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    If you but from the amazon marketplace then the marketplace seller does not have to inform amazon when they dispatch the item so Amazon assumes that it has been dispatched after x amount of time.

For example I've sold stuff there and never once informed people of dispatch, but they will get a dispatch date changed to the delivery date.
    The seller does have to inform Amazon that they have dispatched the product. At that point, the cash transaction occurs between the seller and the buyer.

If they don't confirm that they have dispatched, they don't get the money. After a certain period of time after the estimated dispatch date, Amazon will send reminder notices to both parties that they order still stands and a week after that the order is automatically cancelled. This occurred when I was buying 100 light bulbs (:eek3:) and the seller dispatched the order but failed to tell Amazon - I got the light bulbs but they didn't get paid. Eventually, it was sorted out.

Maybe it's different between the companies who have their products listed on the main page and private individuals who sell in used/new.

Proof of the lightbulbs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm not printscreening the email as there will be too much blocked out

Anyway it says:

'you have cancelled ...'

'Because you only pay for items when we ship them to you, you won't be charged for any items that you cancel.

Thank you for visiting Amazon.co.uk.'

So if you have had the money taken then they can't cancel either judging by that :holmes:
    You cancelled? :holmes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.