Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Change of circumstances - worried parent needs your expert advice! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I hope it's OK for a parent to join and pick your expert brains - my son's hoping to go to Uni in Sept and we sorted out his finance in Feb this year, thought everything hunky dorey BUT my husband has decided to leave and I'm really really worried about his finance stuff. I know I can fill in a change of circumstances form but 1. I can't do this until he goes, is there a deadline 2. will we have to start the whole finance thing again because it'll just be based on my income so will be alot lower and 3. will he get his finance ready to start the term? I am really hoping someone can give me some advice, I will phone student finance but should I do that before he has gone, Oh I'm sooooo confused.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You might find some information here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ners/DG_171588

ReputationRep:
    I would try ringing them to sort things out with them over the phone. Much easier to talk to a real person

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your replies. I will contact Student Finance, but after looking at threads on here it appears I can't do anything until he has actually left as I will need proof that he no longer lives in the same house - this is my big worry that my son won't get his finance when he starts uni as I'm unsure if the process has to be started again or just reassessed and how long it will take. I feel as if I'm in limbo and I don't want to stress my son out coz that really isn't fair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare4)
    Thanks very much for your replies. I will contact Student Finance, but after looking at threads on here it appears I can't do anything until he has actually left as I will need proof that he no longer lives in the same house - this is my big worry that my son won't get his finance when he starts uni as I'm unsure if the process has to be started again or just reassessed and how long it will take. I feel as if I'm in limbo and I don't want to stress my son out coz that really isn't fair!
    He should receive whatever finance he has already qualified for - at the very least he will receive whatever the going rate for a non-income-assessed application is, so you don't have to worry too much about him having no money at all. You can actually submit a request to reassess your student finance anytime during the academic year. The final deadline for applications is generally around the end of May. So you should have until May 2010 to submit details on your changed circumstances. This does work, in my own case I did some adding and realised that I was eligible for a grant during academic year 08/09 which I hadn't applied for, so I simply requested a reassessment and my parents sent supporting paperwork.

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thank you, I was so very worried that when I tell student finance that it will now only be on my salary, which is considerably less, any finance already sorted would be stopped so effectively leaving him with no money when he starts uni until it has been reassessed, but what you've said i.e he will get what has already been sorted anyway, then it will be re-calculated. You've very kindly helped ease my extremely stressed state of mind - thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    It will only be based on your income, as the change has occured before the start of the academic year. If this had happened after 1st September, his income would be brought in but on a pro-rata basis.

You will need to just do a covering letter, and send evidence, ideally a council tax bill showing you get the 25% discount for single occupancy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Taiko,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry but what do you mean if it's after 1st Sept it would be on a pro rata basis? Basically my hands are tied until other half moves out as I can't provide the info, ie. council tax stuff until then that's why I'm worried about my sons finance. As long as I know he will have enough finance to start it will be a massive weight off my mind, the last thing I want is for this to affect my son chance of uni - sorry I'm not wording this very well - hope I'm making sense!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    My student loan was delayed every single year that I attended uni, so my landlord had to hold out for rent payments and my tuition fees weren't paid until January each year. If you reapply with just your income, i'm sure if there is any delay that wherever payments are concerned they will be lenient. A lot of people do not get their loan on time. It might be worth visiting your LEA as they will be dealing with your application and will have it with them. It also sometimes depends on the people who are working at the LEA, some Local Authorities work better than others.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Nabqueen that's reassured me - typical we thought we'd get the whole finance stuff sorted early, especially after reading some comments on here from last year (which we did in Feb) and done & dusted before the mad rush - best laid plans eh!!!!

As soon as the other half has left, which hopefully won't be long, I'll contact student finance and explain what's happened, it's just sooo frustrating I can't really do anything until he's gone.

Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.