Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whats everyones favourite retro game.
    I mean anything from Snes/Genesis (megadrive) backwards.

I'd vote Streets of Rage 3, Shining force 2 and Road Rash 3

ReputationRep:
    Come to think about it, does anyone remember the name of the 3-game carts for the megadrive, with Super-Hang on, World cup Italia 90 and Columns.

The one immediately comes to mind is Chrono Trigger, but I have to confess I didn't have it on the Snes, I only played it on an emulator relativly recently. I don't think it was released over here though.

Personally I think retro games are generally overrated. People remember these games as being much better than they really were. All my favourite games are from either the N64 era or the current generation of consoles.

ReputationRep:
    Pacman and Tetris of course. I still play them over newer games.

The last console I bought was a Sega Megadrive... the last game I bought for my PC was the SIMS.

I'm not a big gamer.

ReputationRep:
    Not my favourite, but Mario kart was pretty awesome. I was in to Sega so never had a SNES but when i played mario kart on multiplayer at a friends house, it's definitely up there as one of the best older games.

ReputationRep:
    lemmings, was mainly on PC but did come out for those later on. Was and still is my favourite game of all time.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Sonic 1 and 2

ReputationRep:
    Pong

ReputationRep:
    Best game of all time EVER is Sonic 3 and Knuckles (with the attachment). That is the most awesome game, no questions asked! Sonic 1 and 2 are good of course, but i think that Sonic 3 and knuckles is just a perfect game. w00t for Sonic! Love the megadrive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Whats everyones favourite retro game.
    I mean anything from Snes/Genesis (megadrive) backwards.

I'd vote Streets of Rage 3, Shining force 2 and Road Rash 3
    Well I had a commodore 64:

1)Batman
    2)Robocop
    3)Cant remeber

I also had like a C4 or something, loved playing double dragon with my brother and Treasure Island. Top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    The one immediately comes to mind is Chrono Trigger, but I have to confess I didn't have it on the Snes, I only played it on an emulator relativly recently. I don't think it was released over here though.

Personally I think retro games are generally overrated. People remember these games as being much better than they really were. All my favourite games are from either the N64 era or the current generation of consoles.
    No, it wasn't. I'm just starting to play it on emulator again now, and it is great.

Some games are over-rated, but i still enjoy playing some of them so much. Streets of Rage 3 is a great multi-player game.
    And i must also say that the Final Fantasies for the SNES are better than a large percentage of current games.

ReputationRep:
    Monkey Island I and II
    Broken Sword I and II
    Sensible World of Soccer 96/97

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    Sensible World of Soccer 96/97
    Sensi, of course!
    And that version was better than all the more modern versions of sensi, which have lost all the playability of the game.

A little tip, get hold of "Total Soccer Yaroze" for the playstation (On Official Playstation Magazine Demo's). Such a great homage to sensi for a modern format.

ReputationRep:
    Sensi, of course!
    And that version was better than all the more modern versions of sensi, which have lost all the playability of the game.

A little tip, get hold of "Total Soccer Yaroze" for the playstation (On Official Playstation Magazine Demo's). Such a great homage to sensi for a modern format.
    Hey, thanks, I've played it.
    Pretty good but Sensi ... it's just the best.

ReputationRep:
    How could people forget Legends of gaming like Contra 3 (1992), Super R-Type (1991) and Street Fighter II (in all its incarnations) for the SNES? Along with Mario Cart those games were what made us all forget about Super Mario 3, Duck Hunt and what ever other games the NES had...

The debate of retro games being over rated is not very simple, there's a big argument for and against each side... at the end of the day all that matters is if you still enjoy the games, which i do. That said the best game of all time is Quake III.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    How could people forget Legends of gaming like Contra 3 (1992), Super R-Type (1991) and Street Fighter II (in all its incarnations) for the SNES? Along with Mario Cart those games were what made us all forget about Super Mario 3, Duck Hunt and what ever other games the NES had...

The debate of retro games being over rated is not very simple, there's a big argument for and against each side... at the end of the day all that matters is if you still enjoy the games, which i do. That said the best game of all time is Quake III.
    Contra was an awful game.
    But all the R-Types are fun.
    Street Fighter II is overrated. It was good, but not that good.
    And Quake III isn't all that great.
    I'd nominate Final Fantasy X (PS2), and Championship Manager (the new one, whatever it is).

One of my friends has brought commander keen, dizzy and duke nukem with him to uni, far too addictive the lot of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    One of my friends has brought commander keen, dizzy and duke nukem with him to uni, far too addictive the lot of them!
    Commander keen... I so hate that game. I bought it on this compilation CD for £1.99, and it was a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    Contra was an awful game.
    But all the R-Types are fun.
    Street Fighter II is overrated. It was good, but not that good.
    And Quake III isn't all that great.
    I'd nominate Final Fantasy X (PS2), and Championship Manager (the new one, whatever it is).
    Contra 3 was amazing last time i played it... i don't know how many coins i put into that machine and i don't know how many pints i had, but that was an amazing game then and there. I don't want to play it again unless the fragile dream of intoxication is broken, and reveals a poor game which contributed little more than the idea for independence day to society. (and that's not really much of a contribution anyway)

Street Fighter II pretty much started and opened up that whole branch of gaming. I loved it... but admit it's not as fun as i remember.

Quake III is the best first person shooter released to date. the next gen. stuff has increased environmental effects but UT2003 lacks zoom on all weapons and the physics that enables high speed bouncing. And just doesn't play how i want it too. btw. these games should only be played against other people and not too many of them... strictly no bots.

Don't forget BomberMan... Super Double Dragon is strangely disappointing when played all over again after so much absence... you realise it's just a button bashing fest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    Contra 3 was amazing last time i played it... i don't know how many coins i put into that machine and i don't know how many pints i had, but that was an amazing game then and there. I don't want to play it again unless the fragile dream of intoxication is broken, and reveals a poor game which contributed little more than the idea for independence day to society. (and that's not really much of a contribution anyway)

Street Fighter II pretty much started and opened up that whole branch of gaming. I loved it... but admit it's not as fun as i remember.

Quake III is the best first person shooter released to date. the next gen. stuff has increased environmental effects but UT2003 lacks zoom on all weapons and the physics that enables high speed bouncing. And just doesn't play how i want it too. btw. these games should only be played against other people and not too many of them... strictly no bots.

Don't forget BomberMan... Super Double Dragon is strangely disappointing when played all over again after so much absence... you realise it's just a button bashing fest.
    Well, i play retro games now, and some stand the test of time (Streets of Rage 3, Shining force 2), which are revelutionary even by today's standards of games.

Well yeah, Street fighter was a good idea, but a rather poor game.
    Well, Halo is better than Quake 3 any day, in my opinion.

Bomberman.... that was a classic. I remember a party when i was about 12, and there was about 8 of us, all playing bomberman on multi-tap on the megadrive all through the night.

And of course, i've got atomic bomberman now, which is still quite good as well.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.