Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I know what you mean! I've applied to every shop in and around 2 large shopping centres and nothing, not even a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tam_Diman)
    It's tomorrow, and I'm not going, I'll probably just spend the whole time scowling at the staff, muttering under my breath: "I should be standing where you're standing earning money..." :holmes:
    Perhaps your criticisms will make them want to quit and vacancy will be there and you'll be able to apply for it!

ReputationRep:
    just thought i'd say that i got a summer job 30 hrs a week, earning £6.31 an hour. I start on monday :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biodude)
    just thought i'd say that i got a summer job 30 hrs a week, earning £6.31 an hour. I start on monday :-D
    Well done :five:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, theres this green glow thats started emanating from me.

I have tried to get a job, admittedly not as hard as i could have, but every online vacancy; i'm all over it. But this thread has just worried me even more. I guess i need to get over my irrational fear of phone calls.
    All i know is that as soon as a job is advertised in a shop window, the next time you walk past it its been took down.
    And then you see some of the people working, and they are the most miserable planks you could ever imagine.

ReputationRep:
    there are jobs.
    you just need to look for them.

If the job situation was that bad, i wouldn't have had a job for the holidays during uni, nor would I have found myself a graduate job.

There are jobs out there.

Keep looking & keep applying & keep improving yourself and your CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    Wow, theres this green glow thats started emanating from me.

I have tried to get a job, admittedly not as hard as i could have, but every online vacancy; i'm all over it. But this thread has just worried me even more. I guess i need to get over my irrational fear of phone calls.
    All i know is that as soon as a job is advertised in a shop window, the next time you walk past it its been took down.
    And then you see some of the people working, and they are the most miserable planks you could ever imagine.

It took me a while, I have handed in god knows how many CVs and application froms, im lucky that I can drive aswell so I have more options open to me

ReputationRep:
    Of course! We are in a recession you know.

As well the fact that you need experience to get a job, and you can't get a job without experience.

I'm going to do some voluntary work in the summer. It's the best way to get a boss to like you. And to get some experience. Try the charity shops, they've got loads of work offered.

ReputationRep:
    Try www.mcdonalds.co.uk/careers ?

ReputationRep:
    McDonald's not even recruiting in my area how sad is that? :/

ReputationRep:
    Thats because you left it to late, most supermarkets have already employed there summer workers.

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied to several places. One of them being Asda. You could try them.

They sent me back a letter saying they were impressed with my application but unfortunatly were not looking to recuit any staff at the present moment.

They will hold on to the application for 6 months, if your application is successful.

ReputationRep:
    im lucky that I can drive aswell so I have more options open to me
    Mm, definitely. Have my 2nd driving test on the 22nd and my own car, but don't want to be so presumptious that i'm going to pass that i'll put it on my CV.
    Once i get a car, theres so much more open to me; eg. pubs in the middle of nowhere, oh and fruit picking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    Thats because you left it to late, most supermarkets have already employed there summer workers.
    I started looking around june because that was when i finished school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_snm)
    I started looking around june because that was when i finished school.
    That still isnt very early I started applying for jobs in may last year and there were more available then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    That still isnt very early I started applying for jobs in may last year and there were more available then.
    Ohh do you work in mcdonalds?
    When do you think they will start recruiting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_snm)
    Ohh do you work in mcdonalds?
    When do you think they will start recruiting?
    No I work in Sainsburys and as a Cleaner, dunno when mcdonalds start recruiting... hand a cv everywhere and have a look

ReputationRep:
    Just keep your eyes peeled and wait with a good CV ready..
    I've been told to get a job by my parents almost everyday and i always told them that i've tried looking and that the current economy makes it difficult. I wanted to find something so bad and i told a friend about my woes - she had recently been hired by Clarks and told me to hand in my CV there as she knew some vacancies were coming up for part time temp workers doing the 'back to school' period when school shoe buying gets hectic. I'm starting next week - what's more, when i checked the job section of the shopping centre there were never any vacancies for Clarks - so i'd stop depending on the internet for finding jobs. By all means try, but it's really best to get out there yourself and also talk to people you know that are already working - they could help you out loads.

Good luck and don't give up :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    i need a job too =(...where i am all shops aren't looking for anyone.

what jobs could be available at the age of 17? (not in retail or restaurants)

ReputationRep:
    I started applying in May for jobs I was a bit out of my depth, and only got one interview.

A month later there seemed to be so many less opotunities, but managed to land a job as a playworker. Been training at full rate of pay, free food and travel expense for the last 2 weeks. Its great fun, we get to play sport with kids all day, my sport degree choice has paid off.

Check your local councils, they might still be recruiting playworkers.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.