Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that if you do a degree such as Pharmacology and you get good marks in your 1st year that you can apply to transfer to Medicine?

Has anyone done this before and how hard is to transfer, do they base it on A Levels or how well you've done in your 1st year? - This is assuming that you've done sufficient work exp in the past related to Medicine etc.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vamp1reWeekend)
    I've heard that if you do a degree such as Pharmacology and you get good marks in your 1st year that you can apply to transfer to Medicine?

Has anyone done this before and how hard is to transfer, do they base it on A Levels or how well you've done in your 1st year? - This is assuming that you've done sufficient work exp in the past related to Medicine etc.

Thanks!
    Rare. You'll probably have to apply for GEM.

ReputationRep:
    Tricky. Ask admissions at your particular uni.

ReputationRep:
    There are a couple of programmes set up for this (Bradford Clinical Sciences is the classic case, and is obscenely competitive for that reason) and a couple of more alternative routes (Edinburgh's medical science graduates can compete for 1 of I think 15 places in 2nd year Medicine there, but that still takes as long as a GEP), but they're usually specificly designed to let a few people into medicine, and advertise themselves as such.

If you're unsuccessful with your application but your A-Levels are good, as is so often said on this forum, go back and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely, either take a gap year and reapply with your A levels or do your degree and enter as a graduate.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    VERY Small chance, but ask individual university.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on which uni you are talking about. Bradford, as mentioned above, offers a transfer route to Leeds. and here at St George's Biomeds get the chance to apply during 2nd year for a transfere into the 3rd year of medicine. But, and its a big but, it's extremely hard and you have to be the top of the year (top 10, i think) plus 99% of the biomeds will be competing for the transfer. but its worth a try i suppose. and if it doesnt work out then you still have a good degree to apply for GEP course with.

ReputationRep:
    Very small chance, even if the course does offer it you don't just need to do 'good', you need to be in the top handful in your cohort and interview well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.