Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you + your flat/housemates handle housework/cleaning? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In halls we just cleaned up our own mess and our rooms. We had a rule that stuff left out in the kitchen for more than a day was put in a empty cupboard until the person cleaned it.

It was more of an issue working out who paid for washing up liquid, loo roll ect. In the end somepeople would never pay so we ended up buying our own and keeping it in our rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Have a cleaner, bliss.

ReputationRep:
    House of 6 people, 4 girls 2 guys. 2 of girls [myself included] best at keeping things clean, other 2 girls were ok, one better than the other. Boys were disgusting animals who managed to make a mess just stepping into the kitchen. they did **** ALL all year. :angry2: honestly some of the things would make people puke.

Basically it was clean up after yourself...although myself and other cleanest girl would deep clean the kitchen at least once a week, and a cleaner also came once a week.

But ugh, the boys did nothing, even when we were moving out and got stern emails about cleaning everything and how everyone should help. still, NOTHING. god I hate/hated them :|

ReputationRep:
    I've got some Dettox, kitchen roll and kitchen cloths to take with me to uni, also a couple of sink sponges for washing up, going to buy toilet cleaner this week, Might get some rubber gloves too as I've got a funny feeling i'm going to find myself cleaning up after everyone! I think we have cleaners for the communal areas but not sure how often they come in or how good a job there do! I don't mind if people use the cleaning stuff i'm bringing from home/probs buying in the year if that makes the difference between them cleaning or not, esspecially as you can buy quite cheap cleaners that will just see the plae though, I'd rather clean up after everyone than catch anything or lose my deposit because of dirt!

ReputationRep:
    Going to keep the cleaning stuff in my room/ cupboards first off then if I do find places really messy leave the cleaning stuff out after cleaning up as a friendly hint, then I may have to leave a note on the fridge/bathroom door if people leave it stupidly messy, but a cup here and there I can wash up when I do mine.

ReputationRep:
    Basically i lived with some really untidy people, and i basically did quite a bit of the tidying including hoovering, cleaning the toilets and shower, mopping, emptying the bins and cleaning the worktops and dusting, whilst a few of them would get annoyed if they had to clean up after themselves or if the house was dirty, but would never tidy it, and another girl made so much mess it was unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    Now this is a question and a half haha.

In my first year I lived in private halls of residence with four other people instead of the ones provided by the university and we had a manager of the premises who dealt with rent payment & any problems, but she also did regular inspections of kitchens & generic areas of the flats e.g. hallways. As a result, we eventually got into a routine of all clubbing together & doing a massive clean up. We loosely decided who did what, although most of the time we just rushed to do it when everyone was around.

I now live in a shared rented house with seven other people and the situation is the complete opposite. We tried doing a weekly rota, but that didn't work because people always made excuses or were just too flat out lazy to bother. We also tried just letting people tidy up whatever they used/messed up, but that didn't appear to work either as people started keeping a stupid amount of plates & etc in their rooms under the excuse that it wasn't cluttering up the kitchen.. what they didn't consider was the fact that they were using pretty much all of our plates and hadn't left very much for the rest of us. One of my housemates recently got a stomach bug due to the general lack of hygiene in the kitchen & made threats to leave if things didn't change.. they didn't ha, but he doesn't think he can be bothered to leave now.

At the moment it's pretty much just everyone for themselves, but certain parts of our house are an absolute tip and there are about three of us who actually give a **** about it. We're not about to tidy up everyone else's crap though, so there doesn't appear to be any sort of order to our housework. FML haha.

ReputationRep:
    We're 4 girls, none of us are outrageously dirty but luckily no one is obsessively clean. There is always a pile of washing up on the side but it rarely gets out of hand and I realised I'm probably the worst so I'm making more of an effort to stay on top of it.

As for cleaning the house, it doesn't really happen. Two girls keep their rooms very clean and tidy, I drop things on the floor but tidy up once or twice a week whilst the other girl doesn't bother hanging her clothes up to start with, everything's on the floor.

The bathroom doesn't get cleaned unless someone feels like it or its end of a semester. Floors get swept perhaps twice a semester when someone feels like it. Kitchen gets cleaned about once a fortnight. No rotas, just guilt and a sense of duty.

It's not up to my Mum's standards but it's nice because we all try to maintain a certain amount of cleanliness but I wouldn't say anyone was particularly nazi about it, though that is a running joke.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, since I started this thread, might as well update you all.

Because I have a decent flat, we have this rota for emptying the bins, then a sort of spontaneous communal cleanup which takes place due to the guilt of people who haven't "done their bit" yet. So one bit of the kitchen will be tidied by someone, then someone else comes in, feels guilty and goes and hoovers, and so on. Works well. Ish.

ReputationRep:
    We don't really have a rota or an agreement, if someone has free time they tidy up & it seems to work fairly well because we all seem to do our fair share.

In 1st year we just cleaned up our own stuff which was a pain because there's always someone who doesn't do theirs & once you've run a bowl of washing up water it doesn't take much more time to wash up other people's stuff as well so that idea went out of the window pretty quick.

ReputationRep:
    When I go I planon doing nothing and everyone else can run around after me.[

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.