Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Okay, so I realise that sounds really bad. The thing is I'm starting university in september, and I'm really looking forward to it for many reasons. One of them I'm a little ashamed of... the fact that I see it as a chance to be rid of my two best friends.
    Okay I do love them, but there's a bit part of me that has grown to be ashamed of them.
    I've been friends with them for years, all through high school. But as we've grown up I feel like I no longer have anything in common with them.
    Both of them look really young. One is just above 5 foot and is often mistaken for an eleven year old. The other is 5 foot 2 and looks little older than 15. We're all 18 but I'm 5 foot 7 and a half and half always looked a little older than my age. The thing is , when we go out together it makes me feel bad, I tower over them and I feel like a babysitter. I'm not so shallow that this would alter our friendship but often they act like they are twelve. I'm not saying I'm the most mature person, but when they laugh at words like 'poo' or shout random things really loud it really embarrasses me and I can't relate. I just feel embarrassed that people will think I'm hanging around with such kids.
    Also, they spend the majority of their time drawing themselves as cartoon animals.... and spend most of their time adopting these characters. Even dressing up/ acting like animals. One of them went as far as to buy herself a collar from pets at home.
    I have no interest in this kind of thing, I'm human and I choose to act that way.
    This mental age gap between us is also highlighted by the fact that they aren't going to uni this year and sitting another year at alevel to avoid this.
    I feel like we have nothing in common anymore, it gets weirder... trust me but I feel that some things are too personal to post on the web.
    I feel so mean throwing away years of friendship, but I'm not sure that we could stay friends with them anymore. I've grown up, and I can't see them ever doing the same.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.