Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my GCSE's now
    been a few weeks, and im now officially boredd

ive tried asking around family and friends for jobs, and they said they're no jobs available. So i decided i would make my own CV and go round to shops asking if they have vacancies and then handing my CV in

i havnt had any luck yet... going to try online applications for a job
    but i personally think that actually going to a shop and talking to them in person looks better

anyone got any tips on how to find a job that i would like quickly?

thanks in advance
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Good luck finding one. It's going to be very difficult. I assume you'd be starting college/sixth form soon, right?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately a lot of other people want one too...

ReputationRep:
    yup....
    just under 2 months
    would be able to earn good bucks in that time
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's gonna be very difficult to find a job IMO. A lot of retail places are suffering :dontknow: try local bars/restaurants as they're often looking for staff. Apart from that I doubt many would take you on. Some colleges have 'job clubs' too ie. send on any advertisements from local businesses recruiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D1774N)
    yup....
    just under 2 months
    would be able to earn good bucks in that time
    Naive ... we're in a recession. And you only have GCSE's.

Apply to places that are busier during the summer i.e. tourist attractions in your local area, and market yourself as cheap labour for the summer.

That's pretty much all you can do - gone are the days when we could all just waltz into summer jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I heard even summer jobs will be hard to get. =\
    What I plan to do, if I can't get a job when job seeking.. is sign up to an agency like Office Angels, the jobs come to me =)

ReputationRep:
    Everyone, graduates, A level and GCSE kids are looking for jobs.

You wont be able to 'get a job quickly', not the way shops and employeres are behaving nowadays.

Write a decent CV, hand it in to any shops you'd fancy working in, and possibly sign up to an agency.

(Original post by Jazmine)
    Just curious, are they female clients only? Or just female clients by majority. They don't look at you a bit weirdly if you're a guy? lol

ReputationRep:
    Well, the only people I know who signed up there are guys. Ha ha! So, of course not - even if that were true, you stroll in there and you bring some manilhood to it!! Ha ha. (But female majority? Probably, "Office Angels" sounds girly). My boyfriend did data entry for a company after signing up (he had two places before that too - pretty quick for him), as they needed someone to fill in for a woman on maternity leave. But she didn't come back when expected to they kept extending his contract. ^^ So, it can get you long-term work even if you're on a short-term contract. You report to Office Angels too, if you don't like your job you can drop it after a day. Get the money, but not go there again. Then they find you somewhere else! There are quite a few other places though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    Well, the only people I know who signed up there are guys. Ha ha! So, of course not - even if that were true, you stroll in there and you bring some manilhood to it!! Ha ha. (But female majority? Probably, "Office Angels" sounds girly). My boyfriend did data entry for a company after signing up (he had two places before that too - pretty quick for him), as they needed someone to fill in for a woman on maternity leave. But she didn't come back when expected to they kept extending his contract. ^^ So, it can get you long-term work even if you're on a short-term contract. You report to Office Angels too, if you don't like your job you can drop it after a day. Get the money, but not go there again. Then they find you somewhere else! There are quite a few other places though.
    Nice, yeah I applied for a data entry job, haven't heard back yet though :s

Would you say its very useful to properly sign up with them? Cos I didn't, I just called then sent my CV in about a particular job I saw advertised.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be useful. Even if it wasn't, it can't hurt to sign up surely?
    I'm not sure how much they get back to you - given job situations at the moment - but from what I've heard they're really good!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.