Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine wanted to study in the uk. He gave a £50 deposite plus £500 towards his first installment towards his degree, however his visa was refused and when trying to get his money back from the college, they said they were to charge an administration fee of £250.00 and yes it does state on their website that they charge this, however i believe this to be extremely exessive for a couple letters. I am not sure if this is illegal can somebody tell me if it is I know that when banks were charging excessive admin fees for people entering their overdraft, people successfully sued them. I am thinking that this is a very similar case. Can anybody offer any advice. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    if its written in the small print, i'm sure they have a right?

i know its very excessive, but if he/she agreed to it, sounds like theres not much that can be done

ReputationRep:
    I think its unlikely that he can claim the fee back. The bank charges are something different because bank charges are (appeal pending) subject to rules and regulations passed by the OFT.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there is the general prohibition on penalty clauses. If this is a penalty clause disguised as an administration fee, he might have some luck...

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the forum would benefit greatly from the name of the institution being disclosed. Secondly, this is a case which in my view may well fall within the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (SI: 1999/1539) . Those with long memories may recall that it is this instrument which was prayed in aid of by a young law student by the name of Stephen Horne who took on the bank several years ago and opened the door to millions of Pounds in compensation to thousands of people of charges unfairly levied by the banks and which now, several years later is set to be decided upon by the House of Lords. The instrument is not confined in its application purely to bank charges but is a powerful tool of extremely wide application. Do not accept these grossly extortionate charges!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.