Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    advice needed here please!
    i used to be of normal weight, but put a fair bit on travelling and partying. Im getting back into sport and now go to a gym,
    Ive been making sure i eat less then 2000 calories a day (im female) and have been eating a diet low on sugar and fat, ive even suprised myself how well ive eaten. I used to drink every weekend at least, but i havent had a sip since i started eating healthy (week and a half ago)
    Ive gone to the gym most days, and ive gone back to playing football which includes alot of ab and leg muscle work.
    scales 3 days into this said i weighed 78 kg. 9 days later (albiet on different scales) i weigh 81. How does that work???? Ive been eating healthy, stopped drinking, and have gone jogging most days. I know its only a week and a half in but can anyone sort of help me out here as to why i apparently weigh more?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Dont just go with 'eat less than 2000 a day'. Work out your BMR then eat ABOVE that.

If your going to the gym most days and not doing a split then your either not training right or your massively over training.

Weight is a bad indication of anything, my weights gone up by 5 kilos recently but I look a hell of alot better for it. Remember, muscle weighs a fair amount more than fat so if your loosing fat and replacing it with muscle (on less than 2000 calories that seems unlikely) then you will probably end up weighing more but looking so much better for it.

However, you have not gained 3 kilos of muscle in 9 days. Its probably just water retention or differences in how long since your previous meal.

What are you doing at the gym?

ReputationRep:
    we do alot of strength and muscle work along with alot of running at football, at the gym i do the stuff i enjoy alot, like jogging/running, bikes, step machines... and crunches and stuff but not weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmK_89)
    we do alot of strength and muscle work along with alot of running at football, at the gym i do the stuff i enjoy alot, like jogging/running, bikes, step machines... and crunches and stuff but not weights.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc908)
    :confused:
    sorry. we do weights and stuff at training about twice a week, but i dont do them by myself in the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Well then maybe get yourself a routine to follow. squat, deadlift, bench, rows etc...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you sound like you're over doing it a little.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for hijacking your thread OP, but if I could just ask a question...

The average size for a woman in the UK is supposedly 14. So in regards to the recommended average daily kcal intake being 2000, is that referring to people who are a size 14?

ReputationRep:
    you have to weigh yourself at the same time each day (eg before breakfast) as your weight can fluctuate several pounds over the course of the day. This could be where the weight difference has come from. Also the fact that they are different scales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Sorry for hijacking your thread OP, but if I could just ask a question...

The average size for a woman in the UK is supposedly 14. So in regards to the recommended average daily kcal intake being 2000, is that referring to people who are a size 14?
    Those averages are just that. Averages and only to be taken as a guide. Calories in doesnt always equal fat on. Im on about 3000-3500 a day and still extremely lean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    you have to weigh yourself at the same time each day (eg before breakfast) as your weight can fluctuate several pounds over the course of the day. This could be where the weight difference has come from. Also the fact that they are different scales.
    This.

I myself can way 2-3 pounds more in the evening than in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mipegg]Dont just go with 'eat less than 2000 a day'. Work out your BMR then eat ABOVE that.
    QUOTE]
    Wow. i worked out mine to be 2400. Had no idea. But the advice is to eat less then BMR, about 20% less to start off with, not eat more?

ReputationRep:
    Unless your using the same scales, in the same place, at the same time, wearing the same clothing - pay no attention to it. I weighed in the morning once, had a drink of water and went back on to see if it changed, I'd gone up about 1lb.

Put BMR into google and click the top link - then work out what you need to lose/gain weight. It's about 70% diet and 30% exercise.

ReputationRep:
    1g of fat is roughly 9kcal. To put on 3kg of fat you'd have to have an energy surplus of 27000kcal -- 3000kcal a day.

Your weight will fluctuate a bit anyway, but the scales must be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=EmK_89]
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Dont just go with 'eat less than 2000 a day'. Work out your BMR then eat ABOVE that.
    QUOTE]
    Wow. i worked out mine to be 2400. Had no idea. But the advice is to eat less then BMR, about 20% less to start off with, not eat more?
    BMR is effectively the amount of energy your body would use to stay 'alive' if you didnt do anything all day. Thus, if your doing extra stuff ontop of it like... moving etc your actual usage will be higher so you eat above it to keep as much of the muscle as possible but below your use to loose the fat. This is, ofcourse if it told you your actual BMR or guessed at your calorie usage in a day

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to weigh yourself do it first time in the morning after you've gone for a wee :p: and not on a carpet surface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resu Eman)
    1g of fat is roughly 9kcal. To put on 3kg of fat you'd have to have an energy surplus of 27000kcal -- 3000kcal a day.
    I like to think in terms of lbs, so 1lb of fat is 3500cals, which is why you should seek to create a deficit of 500cals per day in order to lose 1lb each week. This can be made up to a 1000cal deficit per day for a 2lb loss per week, but anything above that figure is unsafe and probably unreliable in terms of correct fat loss.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.